Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
BudKindle
BudKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Kindle 3 to Kindle Touch parts swap?

I recently cracked the screen on my Kindle 3 3G, and the only replacement screens I can kind run ~70$, or most of the way to a new kindle or kindle touch, albeit without the 3G.

I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a kindle touch (wifi version) and put in my kindle 3's 3G modem? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
BudKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
your best bet would be getting a wifi-only kindle keyboard and swapping the screens. Even if the 3G modems of Touch and Keyboard were compatible, it wouldn't give you internet browsing while on 3G. Moreover wifi-only models didn't have a connector soldered to them (I'm speaking about k3s) so you couldn't get a wifi model to pick up 3g, I don't know what would be the case with the touch but I suspect to be the same.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Contact Kindle Customer Service. Even though the damage was your own fault, you'll probably find that they'll offer you a sizeable discount on a replacement Kindle Keyboard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I am speaking from third hand knowledge. It's something I read somewhere on the web, and I don't know if either the source, my understanding, or my memory is correct.

However, as I remember it each Kindle screen is driven by a unique "waveguide". The person reported that swapping eInk screens was a problem because the waveguide tuned for one screen would not work for another.

I can't find the post, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is wrong, but ...

I agree with Harry, see what Amazon customer service will do first.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
@emellaich: I did it about a month ago, and asked on this very forum if waveforms would be a problem. It turns out that the kindle screen has those stored in a chip integrated with itself, so swapping the screen also swaps the waveform, no problem
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I agree with Harry, see what Amazon customer service will do first.
No, Kindle customer service, not Amazon customer service. They're separate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken screen, fix, kindle 3 3g, kindle touch