Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #496
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
My case doesn't have a fastener/clasp either and I use a black hairband elastic from the Dollar Store to keep it closed when not in use. Just tight enough to be secure in case I drop my reader and prevents anything from touching the screen accidently while in my purse...and the style I chose looks pretty good too. 3/$1 with several different colour choices .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
That is what I've done too & it works fine.
That's just what I'm going to do next time I'm near a Dollar Store.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #497
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I agree that a closure/fastener of some kind (whether built-in or DIY) is essential.

I now use the Kobo Touch Moleskine cover with the interchangeable built-in notepad for carrying my Sony around with, and the one time I didn't fasten the elastic was the time a ring-bound notebook went and insinuated itself right between the cover and the screen (and I'd put that notebook beside the cover, not on top, but apparently stuff got shifted in my backpack's front compartment).

Thankfully, nothing got scratched. I've been paranoid about using the elastic whenever I close the cover and put it in any position but absolutely flat on top of a table since.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #498
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I've tried carrying it that way, it's OK in a smaller or more structured handbag where there's minimal shifting but in the big soft fabric bag I'm using for summer there's always a pen, keys or something moving about like a shark at the bottom of my bag just looking for something to damage and my Reader looks just like a seal to 'em!
I put the Sony Lighted Case in a Ziploc bag before I put it in my handbag.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #499
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I agree that a closure/fastener of some kind (whether built-in or DIY) is essential.

I now use the Kobo Touch Moleskine cover with the interchangeable built-in notepad for carrying my Sony around with, and the one time I didn't fasten the elastic was the time a ring-bound notebook went and insinuated itself right between the cover and the screen (and I'd put that notebook beside the cover, not on top, but apparently stuff got shifted in my backpack's front compartment).

Thankfully, nothing got scratched. I've been paranoid about using the elastic whenever I close the cover and put it in any position but absolutely flat on top of a table since.
Yes, that would make me paranoid too, you're very lucky it wasn't scratched!

As Bookworm_Girl suggested, I too used to put my KoboTouch, which was in the book cover, into a ziploc bag for additional protection. I kind of forgot about doing that as I don't normally carry my ereader around anymore. I think reading here at MBR has gotten me way too paranoid! I did think about getting a zippered pouch that the T1 with the case would fit into. As I said, I don't normally carry mine around anyways, but I'll keep my eyes open for 1 in a sale bin somewhere just in case.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #500
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I did think about getting a zippered pouch that the T1 with the case would fit into. As I said, I don't normally carry mine around anyways, but I'll keep my eyes open for 1 in a sale bin somewhere just in case.
For carrying-around outside the house purposes, you might prefer a hard-sided case if you've got the bag space for it.

What I did with my Kindle (and intend to do for my Sony w/Moleskine cover once I find one the right depth) is pick up one of those hard-sided sturdy plastic small-documents/objects file cases with a snap closure from the dollar/office supplies store (A5 paper size; I think for the Sony I might be able go down to the smaller B6), tape a little bubble wrap inside so stuff was kind of padded and wouldn't rattle around and tape some soft microfibre cloth to the inner surfaces so that it wouldn't scratch, and use it to put my naked Kindle in for transporting in my backpack.

Although I did usually put the entire thing into a less-crowded front compartment, the arrangement has allowed my Kindle to survive being surrounded and rattled-around with and possibly squashed by heavy books and such for over two years now for just $4 + tax (got the bubble wrap free from receiving mailing packages).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #501
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
For carrying-around outside the house purposes, you might prefer a hard-sided case if you've got the bag space for it.

What I did with my Kindle (and intend to do for my Sony w/Moleskine cover once I find one the right depth) is pick up one of those hard-sided sturdy plastic small-documents/objects file cases with a snap closure from the dollar/office supplies store (A5 paper size; I think for the Sony I might be able go down to the smaller B6), tape a little bubble wrap inside so stuff was kind of padded and wouldn't rattle around and tape some soft microfibre cloth to the inner surfaces so that it wouldn't scratch, and use it to put my naked Kindle in for transporting in my backpack.

Although I did usually put the entire thing into a less-crowded front compartment, the arrangement has allowed my Kindle to survive being surrounded and rattled-around with and possibly squashed by heavy books and such for over two years now for just $4 + tax (got the bubble wrap free from receiving mailing packages).
Very clever! Reading your post reminded me of 3 zippered cases I have that I had bought literally years ago at Ikea.[and I just checked their website, they don't make them anymore, but they were very cheap!] At the time I had bought them for the kids Sony Diskmans [gee, that should date me a lot! ] so they could carry them in their backpacks. Anyways, I just dug them out and luckily it fits the Sony, but not my Kobo. As I said, just wanted something cheap to protect from scratches in case it slid open, and this is perfect, and already bought and paid for! Just have to buy one of the elastics and my Sony should be safe and sound. Thanks for triggering the thought ATDrake!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #502
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
This is overdue, but four months ago I got a hard-sided zipper case by Case Logic for $10.49.

I glossed over the part in the description that said it was intended for the Sony Reader Pocket Edition. As is, it doesn't fit the T1. Almost, but not quite. So, rather than send it back I modified it!

I ripped out the cushiony back part with the corner straps and made my own insert from a piece of craft foam board cut to size. I covered it with black fabric. Then I mounted a piece of black elastic horizontally at the top and one at the bottom (just above the T1's buttons). Glued my new custom insert into the case and voila!

I also removed the Case Logic logo from the front. It's metal and protrudes into the interior of the case; I think if any real pressure were exerted while the cover's closed, it could break the screen.

Pictures! (Click for bigger versions.)

Exterior. The indent with the two holes, lower center, is what remains after removing the Case Logic logo.

Interior. Please make note of my superior sewing skills on the black fabric insert. The white cat hair adds a nice contrast and makes it extra special!

Ereader strapped in and ready to go. My T1 wears a silicone skin (a case and a silicone skin serve completely different purposes.) to cover the shiny bezel. There's enough room for the stylus next to the reader.

Close-up of the stylus, hooked over the elastic strap.

Last edited by AndrewH; 06-25-2012 at 03:43 AM.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #503
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
That's pretty nice. Looks like a good way to protect the Sony. Do you take it out to read it? I enjoy holding my Sony naked except for the silicone skin, I have the same one you do.

I saw a seller has one for .01 + shipping, so I just had to order one.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-25-2012 at 07:25 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #504
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Sony Cover + Timbuk2 Case

I took these pictures months ago but forgot to post them. This is my PRS-T1 with the standard Sony cover and the Timbuk2 padded sleeve. I believe the sleeve is the one made for the Kindle Fire. I love this combination.

The Sony cover folds back effortlessly when I'm reading, and there's almost no material around the edges of the reader - it's a very clean look. The Timbuk2 case is very well padded (feels like some sort of dense memory foam) and I feel completely confident about tossing it in my purse or laptop bag. The stylus slides into the case and clips onto the edge of the sleeve, and is quite secure; I've never had it come off accidentally (or intentionally - I never use it at all). After six months of use, the reader, cover and sleeve still look brand new.

This is a pretty expensive combo relative to the price of the reader (but perhaps not, relative to the amount of time I've spent setting it up). However, the Sony case was a gift with the reader and I had an Amazon gift cert, so it was a guilt-free solution. ; )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_Cover_Timbuk2_1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	88302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_Cover_Timbuk2_2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	88303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_Cover_Timbuk2_3.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	88304  
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #505
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's pretty nice. Looks like a good way to protect the Sony. Do you take it out to read it? I enjoy holding my Sony naked except for the silicone skin, I have the same one you do.
Thanks! Yes, I do take the reader out of the case to read it but I only read at home and at work. I don't even use the elastic straps, I just lay my reader in the case and zip it up to take it from here to there.

If I were to ever read in public, however (on the bus, for example), I'd definitely leave it in the case and use the elastic straps.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #506
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My hard case came today. So nice! It seemed to fit my T1 perfectly without any modification! I'll be glad to use that to throw in my purse!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #507
Blue2u
Wizard

Finally stopped at the Dollar Store and grabbed a pack of the long hairbands, they're a bit too big though. Guess I could cut it and sew it... Still a very clever idea.

And now I'm wondering if I should get a skin to cover the shiny bezel!? It hasn't bothered me that much, but at times if the books in just not the right position, or if I use the reader light, it is distracting... Or maybe hold out to see if newer model does come out 'new and improved' [read - no shiny bezel?!]
Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #508
Joette
Joette began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
I use the M-Edge case for the small Kindle. It fits perfect, and I like that it zips up and protects it completely when I throw it into my purse. They're no straps in the way, as they're only over the corners. It is a little over the on/off switch, but not enough to matter.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #509
Blue2u
Wizard

I've been browsing the skins, and I'm really quite intrigued. Have a couple of questions;
-are they easy to apply
-if you mess up, can you easily pull up and refit
-do the corners roll up after time/use/wear
-do they discolor over time [putting mine on white T1]
-do they ever come on sale [discount of 10% right now]

Thank you in advance for your assitance. I think I've decided on 'Reaching Out' by artist David April...
http://www.decalgirl.com/artwork/1447/Reaching-Out
Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #510
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
PRSA-SC10B

I GOT IT.

While this case isn't as robost as others (gecko, tuff luv)
But the four point mounting sytem made the entire thing seem so bulky.

It is minimalist, but attaches very nicely to to the reader. The plastic cradle.

No stylus attachment, no big deal for me. Hardly use the stylus.

Pros:
Holds the reader nicely
Protects the screen
Minimalist.

I made a felt pouch/sleeve, and like to hold the reader "naked" but don't like to leave it lying around with the face uncovered.

Cons:
too minimalist - for some

I opted to not the the built in light version. I just turn on a light in the room I am reading at or use a attachable light if needed.

I like it, so far..
cost about $25.00 --For shipping and all.

I can understand earlier users are disatisfied due to a higher initial cost.

I got an extra will probably sell later, but we'll see.. maybe I should have gotten one red and one black cover for my black prs-t1.. lol
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote