Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #91
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Unfortunately, I have to confirm the problem of being unable to choose format margin and style settings for epub books. It is somewhat annoying to read centered text. On my computer, there is no such problem for epub files, but the version is 0.10.7. So either it is a problem of version 0.12.10 or of the port for the DR's. Any solutions out there ?

-----

After googling, it seems to be a version 0.12.10 problem ....
http://groups.google.com/group/fbrea...59666627148e63

Last edited by fekhner; 12-07-2011 at 06:58 PM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #92
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
Unfortunately, I have to confirm the problem of being unable to choose format margin and style settings for epub books. It is somewhat annoying to read centered text. On my computer, there is no such problem for epub files, but the version is 0.10.7. So either it is a problem of version 0.12.10 or of the port for the DR's. Any solutions out there ?

-----

After googling, it seems to be a version 0.12.10 problem ....
http://groups.google.com/group/fbrea...59666627148e63
Because of that problem I have long switched to Mobi format. Everything works fine with Mobi. Unfortunately the screen of my Irex has several problems now and I rarely use it anymore.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #93
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

too bad ....
Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #94
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Because of that problem I have long switched to Mobi format. Everything works fine with Mobi.
couldn't you use the native epub viewer?

Quote:
Unfortunately the screen of my Irex has several problems now and I rarely use it anymore.
I'm so sorry about this.

I'm afraid that my DR800 breaks, so after looking some PocketBook models I finally bought a cheap 6" Kindle a couple weeks ago. And now I use this kindle - instead of the DR800 - in risk scenarios, like in park with children, beach (ok,this will have to wait until next summer in this north hemisphere ;-) where I don't want to bring the DR800.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #95
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post

I'm so sorry about this.

I'm afraid that my DR800 breaks, so after looking some PocketBook models I finally bought a cheap 6" Kindle a couple weeks ago. And now I use this kindle - instead of the DR800 - in risk scenarios, like in park with children, beach (ok,this will have to wait until next summer in this north hemisphere ;-) where I don't want to bring the DR800.
Yes, you can use the regular epub reader. But for some books I didn't like line spacing or paragraph spacing. Or I wanted to change the font. FBReader gives you a lot more formatting options to play around with without messing with the style sheets in the files themselves.

Well, I got a Kindle DXG while they reduced the price to US$259.-. No way I would want to go back to less than 8"! Besides, I was curious as to how much better a Pearl screen looks.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #96
fekhner
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
I wanted to use FBReader because of the stardict support that you can call from inside the program by selecting words, I guess this is not possible for the native epub viewer ?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #97
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
I wanted to use FBReader because of the stardict support that you can call from inside the program by selecting words, I guess this is not possible for the native epub viewer ?
No, that's not possible.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #98
fekhner
Addict

Quote:
Because of that problem I have long switched to Mobi format. Everything works fine with Mobi.
it works great indeed and interacts with stardict as it should, so i transformed my epubs into mobis; the one remaining problem is that the mobis do not show up in the standard views on the DR, they only show up and can be opened from within fbreader, any obvious solution that i am missing ?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #99
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
the one remaining problem is that the mobis do not show up in the standard views on the DR, they only show up and can be opened from within fbreader, any obvious solution that i am missing ?
I think this is because the .mobi extension is not 'known'. It is probably possible to modify: _fbreader\_ctbconf\etc\gconf\schemas\fbreader.sche mas, add mobi in the extensions-list and re-install FBReader (run 'Add FBReader Extensions' from the Programs/Install folder).

As discussed in another thread, the mobi files will probably not show up in the Recent-views until a document is (manually) tagged.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #100
fekhner
Addict

Thanks Mackx, all works now, and I realize that this problem and its solution was already described in gory details a bit earlier in this very same thread!

(just for completeness, in the latest 3b version, there is no longer a _fbreader/_ctbconf directory, and also no 'Add FBReader Extensions' app, so one has to modify the fbreader.schemas file in the installfiles folder and also change the dr.ini file as you described earlier in this thread)

Last edited by fekhner; 12-16-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #101
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
(just for completeness, in the latest 3b version, there is no longer a _fbreader/_ctbconf directory, and also no 'Add FBReader Extensions' app, so one has to modify the fbreader.schemas file in the installfiles folder and also change the dr.ini file as you described earlier in this thread)
FBReader adopted a new graphical installer in version 3b.
As you have mentioned, in order to add new extensions you should change fbreader.schemas files, located in _fbreader/installfiles folder.

Tags
fbreader