Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Dictionaries under 2.1.0.

I thought with the Chinese interface support I was able to use Chinese dictionaries. Clearly it is not the case. I copied some .dic dictionaries to 602 pro. They didn't even show as options either in texts or in dictionary as a separate application although I could see them in the dictionary folder on PC.

Any ideas?

Last edited by jshzh; 05-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
I thought with the Chinese interface support I was able to use Chinese dictionaries. Clearly it is not the case. I copied some .dic dictionaries to 602 pro. They didn't even show as options either in texts or in dictionary as a separate application although I could see them in the dictionary folder on PC.

Any ideas?
Hi jshzh, not sure whether it will help, but I also had the problem that the dictionaries did not show. So I went into general configuration, and unticked some of the Abby dictionaries (between languages unknown to me - there are many now). Don't know why (perhaps there is a maximum number of dictionaries allowed), but after that, all of my custom added dictionary now show when reading books. Hope it works for you, too!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Hi jshzh, not sure whether it will help, but I also had the problem that the dictionaries did not show. So I went into general configuration, and unticked some of the Abby dictionaries (between languages unknown to me - there are many now). Don't know why (perhaps there is a maximum number of dictionaries allowed), but after that, all of my custom added dictionary now show when reading books. Hope it works for you, too!
Thank you, Paola. I tried that last night and tried again a moment ago after reading your post. I un-ticked the ABBY dictionaries (I only have 3 there) and removed most my own dictionaries from the folder but still couldn't see the Chinese-Chinese and English-Chinese dictionaries I put it. I thought at least the English-Chinese one should show up . Unfortunately none.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The PocketBook readers only support their own format of dictionaries. Are you sure that the dictionaries you installed are supposed to work on the device?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The PocketBook readers only support their own format of dictionaries. Are you sure that the dictionaries you installed are supposed to work on the device?

"Their own"? Mine are all "*.dic" format dictionaries

Last edited by jshzh; 05-16-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Their own"? Mine are all "*.dic" format dictionaries
I assumed it was their own format. PB provides a program to convert some other dictionary formats to the one that works on their devices. Just because the filename ends in ".dic", doesn't necessarily mean the contents will work. Anyway, you can get other working dictionaries from PocketBook or even from this forum. If you download one of them and install it, then you'll know whether you're having installation problems or problems with your particular dictionaries.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I assumed it was their own format. PB provides a program to convert some other dictionary formats to the one that works on their devices. Just because the filename ends in ".dic", doesn't necessarily mean the contents will work. Anyway, you can get other working dictionaries from PocketBook or even from this forum. If you download one of them and install it, then you'll know whether you're having installation problems or problems with your particular dictionaries.

I got most of my dictionaries from the Russian website but I don't think they have Chinese dictionaries.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
I got most of my dictionaries from the Russian website but I don't think they have Chinese dictionaries.
No, but I was thinking that if you could successfully install any other dictionary (Chinese or not), then it would indicate that there is some kind of problem with the Chinese dictionaries you have. If you can't install another different one, then the problem has to do with that. I was just suggesting a way to try to pinpoint the source of the problem (dictionary or system).
Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
mitiavoice
mitiavoice began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Was the dictionary working under linux?

I'm a fluent reader of russian and chinese and I tried Ipad2 with pleco and Abby but the mouse over pop up doesn't work on the device. It's a pity to have to buy ereader dedicated to each language!
mitiavoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
mitiavoice

Hi!
they have a chinese english and english chinese dictionary but they are for PC under Windows. Maybe there is a way to convert them for Pocketbook under Linux
Did you solve your problem?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiavoice View Post
Hi!
they have a chinese english and english chinese dictionary but they are for PC under Windows. Maybe there is a way to convert them for Pocketbook under Linux
Did you solve your problem?
I stopped trying. I was told on the Russian forum that someone had successfully made the 602 recognize Japanese with the cursor. But I never managed to make my Chinese-Chinese, Chinese - English/Russian dictionaries work and gave up. (I converted a few but they didn't work. Now I even forgot what software I used) I am sure there is a way to do it - maybe not words but at least single Chinese characters - that is good enough for reading ancient Chinese.

Unfortunately pocketbook does not have many Chinese clients so I guess it will never be on their agenda to solve the problem.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
mitiavoice

Thank you,
I guess I'll wait for the next generation of e-reader with mirasol or liquavista under android to solve the problem!