Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
cookie_swap
cookie_swap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Problem applying Jailbreak on Kindle Voyage

Hi!

I have hooke my Kindle Voyage up to a serial interface and was able to login to recovery mode, change the root password, log into the normal OS and aplying the jailbreak. I also checked that the certificate exists at "/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem" and is correct. But I can not use self-signed .azw's or install an update (In this case the USB networking thingy). Can some please help me I'm getting depressions.
cookie_swap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Firmware version 5.6.x requires that you use MrPI (the Mobile Read, Package Installer).

To use self-signed azw (or anything), you must be signing with one of the (MKK) keys you installed when you ran the JB shell script from the command line.

I.E: the *.pem file is not the only thing that the JB for your device installs - but that should all have been handled for you when you ran its install script.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
cookie_swap

Because information about applying the jailbreak on the Voyage are very fragmented I just want to make sure that everythin I did is correct.
  • Put the jailbreak files in the USB root
  • Mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 as /mnt/mmc
  • Run jb.sh
  • Reboot
  • Profit!
When people are saying that a jailbreak is not possible on version 5.6.2.1, do they mean impossible or that I need a UART connection? If I have done everything correct, is there a list with information what the Jailbreak script does? If not I would start looking at it and try to figure out what went wrong.

Any Ideads what else I could do would be apreciated.

Last edited by cookie_swap; 06-13-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cookie_swap: The current JB script doesn't handle being run from diags, has to be done from main.

(There's logic in previous versions to handle diags, though, if anyone cares).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-13-2015 at 02:52 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
cookie_swap

I only used diags to set the root password.
Actually I solved my problems. KUAL did not work because I was dumb. I put it in the USB root directory instead of the documents folder.

The "Update" button is still grayed out. But because KUAL is now working I was able to use NiLuJe's MobileRead Package Installer.

Just because of curiosity, does anyone know why the Update Button is grayed out?
Advert
Old 06-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_swap View Post
I only used diags to set the root password.
Actually I solved my problems. KUAL did not work because I was dumb. I put it in the USB root directory instead of the documents folder.

The "Update" button is still grayed out. But because KUAL is now working I was able to use NiLuJe's MobileRead Package Installer.

Just because of curiosity, does anyone know why the Update Button is grayed out?
Because it is Amazon firmware series 5.5.x/5.6.x
Amazon disabled the recognition of our update_*.bin packages in those versions.
Which is why MrPI exists and why you have to use it.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Well, at least that's another confirmation that KUAL runs on the KV, which wasn't a sure thing given the hard deprecation of Kindlets. Yay?.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

And didn't we have at least two reports of KUAL running on a KT2?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Note: easy way to tell if the MKK worked properly -- you will see the Kindlet but it will tell you your Kindle isn't a test Kindle.
If you don't see the Kindlet listed at all, the Kindle can't see it at all.

Glad you got it working.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
cookie_swap

When setting up the serial connection I discovered something really strange. I first tried to use a BusPirate and TP13 (https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.ne...FsMJPmbvPLmRZs - Top right) as the 1V8 reference but I was only able to receive data. I then tried one of these cheapo UART/USB converter in combination with a logic level converter. Same problem here. I got it working by applying 3V3 on the Kindle. Has anybody else had that problem? I have never seen this behavior on any embedded system.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

You should not have seen it on a Kindle.

Recheck everything, you have something else wrong if that is required.

If you can't find out what is wrong yourself, take detailed pictures and attach to your next post.