Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Kindle Voyage Jailbreak

Hi there fellow mobilereaders,

I've been off here for ages, only checking back to update reading my list due to extremely busy university schedule. I'm thinking of upgrading from my PW1 to a Kindle Voyage. Is there any way to jailbreak it, or downgrade the FW so that I can get CM and JBPatch to work? These utilities are kind of a deal breaker for me, and if I can't get these on a KV then I may go with a PW2.

Thanks guys
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Currently no.
If you decide to get a PW2 instead of Voyage, bear in mind that if it comes with FW >= 5.6.0 preinstalled there is currently no way to JB without cracking it open and using a serial cable. (if it comes with < 5.6.0 it can be jailbroken but using CM and JBPatch may be a problem ...someone else will have to answer that). Sorry for the bad news....
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, and if you do intend to crack it open, the KV appears to be slightly easier to handle in that respect .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm guessing that 5.6.0 is the latest FW? In that case, there is no point ordering a PW2 from Amazon because the PW2 will surely come with the latest FW wont it? I'm also unsure as to what you mean by cracking open. Does that literally mean opening up the physical device? This may be a noob question but what would that achieve? One final question: If we accept that JPBatch and CM are now basically unworkable on the PW2 which cannot be jailbroken with FW 5.6.0, and that the KV is also completely shut-down, should I just get a refurbed PW1, or go for a Kobo Aura?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Not to high-jack this thread, but has there been any reports on possible firmware versions on the 2GB vs 4GB model of the PW2? Like, does the 4GB always come with 5.6.x?

Also, I'm thinking that there might a better chance to get one with an older firmware if you order one from ebay in a unsealed box as it just might just be slightly older than if you order it from directly from Amazon.

I don't know if I have the guts to take that chance on the 4GB model of PW2...
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
Waylander
Fanatic

Hmmm... I'd forgotten about the 4GB/2GB difference, but didn't know there might be a difference in FW as well. How can you tell the difference in storage on Amazon? I really want to avoid ebay, and have found that Amazon.co.uk still stocks the original PW1 3G version, so may go for that. It's really annoying about the KV and PW2 though. How come the genius developers here haven't managed to crack the PW2? I do actually mean that sincerely, btw, as their efforts have made the reading experience on my Kindle bearable for me, so I am very thankful for their efforts.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #7
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
I only have the option of buying on ebay, but depending on your location, you might at least be able to return the PW2 if it comes with FW 5.6.x.

Anyhow, I've been looking at ebay, and I seem to have found out that the PW2 4GB can come in two different looking boxes which is interesting because it might say something about the possible firmware versions on the device.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODc5WDY0Mw...UJw-5/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODM1WDcyMA...UiYGX/$_57.JPG

Edit:

I found this firmware/serial comparison from a German article comparing the 2013 2GB version to the 2014 4GB version. Both uses FW 5.4.5 in this case. So it must be possible to acquire the PW2 4GB with an jailbreak-able firmware.

http://allesebook.de/wp-content/uplo...icherplatz.jpg

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Waylander
Fanatic

Still sounds like a risk. I think I'll just order the 2012 PW 3G og Amazon.co.uk
Old 02-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
- - - - -
How come the genius developers here haven't managed to crack the PW2? I do actually mean that sincerely, btw, as their efforts have made the reading experience on my Kindle bearable for me, so I am very thankful for their efforts.
Many of today's SoC (System on a Chip) devices are designed with firmware security in mind.

The Amazon/Lab126 firmwares are **not** using all of the firmware security features of the i.MX6 chip, but the design as it exists **may** make a "closed Kindle" jailbreak impractical (or even technically impossible).

The compromise that Amazon/Lab126 is making in the design allows the returned devices to be tested and to be refurbished (or to be sold to businesses that do refurbish electronic devices).

The war between Amazon and we who believe that the hardware owner also owns the hardware's behavior could get worse -
they could go all of the way to "technically impossible".

The owners of the 3G models already have an example of "technically impossible" on-board, the 3G module.
That is also an(other) SoC, and it has its internal security features enabled.
Which is why you have never seen any modifications posted to its firmware (which is re-loadable on boot).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Kenneth_irl: My 4GB PW2 originally came with 5.4.3.2, so it basically just comes down to how long ago the device was built, the variant is irrelevant for new devices, since Amazon now only ship 4GB ones anyway. Of course, that also means that this ensures unsealed 2GB ones are shipped on something usable, but since the S/N is not visible on the box... .

@Waylander: The PW1 is terrible, don't. The Aura is... a Kobo. I'd strongly suggest you try one before you jump ship, they have their specific quirks, some of which might be a deal-breaker, especially if you've used a recent Kindle before.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Waylander
Fanatic

Tbh, the biggest decider for me is the ability to customise the margin width to the setting I prefer, which for me is very close to the screen's edge. If there was a way to do this with a PW2 or KV then I would get one of those poste haste, but it's looking more risky and less likely, so I'm now in a quandary. I can live with the PW1's screen, so don't mind about that. I've also had a Kobo Glo, so am used to the Kobo architecture. Anymore advice re modifying margins and device choice?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Tbh, the biggest decider for me is the ability to customise the margin width to the setting I prefer, which for me is very close to the screen's edge. If there was a way to do this with a PW2 or KV then I would get one of those poste haste, but it's looking more risky and less likely, so I'm now in a quandary. I can live with the PW1's screen, so don't mind about that. I've also had a Kobo Glo, so am used to the Kobo architecture. Anymore advice re modifying margins and device choice?
If margins are your main issue, there was a way to adjust your margins by changing settings in individual ebooks (not through JB and hack) that was posted in Calibre Forum a while back...the OP included the batch files he had written as well as comprehensive instructions. Haven't tried it. Looks rather involved and needs to be done to each ebook individually. Look here if interested...

P.S.- Yes 'cracking it open' means physically opening and soldering a serial cable...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
kaito
Connoisseur
kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: k3w, gloHD
Does anyone sell pre-jailbroken KVoyages?

Or a kit to make it (more) simple to open one up and jailbreak?

I don't know what cable to buy (if one exists that is ready-made), and is soldering really necessary (can small magnets temporarily attach such a thing for long enough to run a jailbreak script)?
kaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito View Post
Does anyone sell pre-jailbroken KVoyages?

Or a kit to make it (more) simple to open one up and jailbreak?

I don't know what cable to buy (if one exists that is ready-made), and is soldering really necessary (can small magnets temporarily attach such a thing for long enough to run a jailbreak script)?
The scale of the pad connection points is so small, they almost require soldering.

Several months ago I started on a 'kit' for the KT2 (I don't have a KV) - -
but all of my "free" time is taken for the foreseeable future (taking care of a sick friend).

So don't hold your breath for me to finish what I started.
It may be months more before I can get back to that project.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #15
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
[QUOTE= The PW1 is terrible, don't. [/QUOTE]

I don't find the PW1 "terrible" at all when combined with KoReader software that allows gamma control (and a whole lot more, like adjustable margins, fonts, night mode, 2 column landscape, customizable css, etc.). In fact, I've got a KV as well and I use the PW1 more often because it's a much more enjoyable experience.

I got the KV before I found KoReader and the only reason I've kept it is because I expected it to soon be jailbroken but I'm starting to lose hope. If Amazon continues along the path to a completely closed system (the chip they use apparently will make jailbreaking completely impossible if they use all of its features, which they haven't ... yet) then my next ereader definitely won't be a Kindle.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote