Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
EditorJack
EditorJack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Post Comparison of screens on Kindle 1 and 2

Esteemed Kindlers:

The difference in 4 vs. 16 gray scales has got to make a huge difference in ease of reading. Has anyone seen both models? Has anyone posted side-by-side images of both screens? I'll bet I'm not the only one interested in seeing this.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jack Lyon
Waking Lion Press
http://www.wakinglionpress.com
EditorJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Check out my pictures at the start of this thread.

I'll take a picture of some text on both and post it to this thread.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 03-09-2009 at 07:18 PM.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I find the difference is pretty profound. I prefer the K2 screen, but I've come across quite a few people who prefer the K1 screen.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested in this. I don't happen to be one of them, but I'm sure they are out there.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My understanding is that having more shades of grey improves pictures more than text. Some people have been saying that their Kindle 2s actually have less contrast than the Kindle 1.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
As I understand it the two devices use essentially the same screen with different controllers, which allows the K2 more variation in the same range. The K1 uses the darkest setting for text, while I believe the K2 backs it off one notch to allow for a true bold (darker text) rather than simulating it with weight of line. If this is the case the K2 actually does have less contrast in most situations.

From what I've heard though, the K2 could use more line weight in the default font because some people do find it harder to read.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It seems as if there is slightly less contrast with the K2 but it's not enough for me to send it back. I still haven't found my power cord for my camera and of course it's some proprietary Sony plug so I haven't had a chance to take pictures with my good camera. My cell phone camera isn't good enough.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray-scal, kindle, screens