Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch?
Yes 27 24.32%
No 73 65.77%
I don't know yet 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #46
johnnyK
Banned
johnnyK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
without free cloud storage
Barnes and Noble does store your library in the cloud, it's called archiving and it's unlimited

Also I thought I heard the new eink kindles are shipped WITHOUT a charger?
If so that is completley lame that you have supply your own charger or buy theirs when it should be supplied to you
johnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyK View Post
You don't have to hook up your nook to delete or archive your books. You can do it straight from your digital managment on "My Account" and when your nooks connects to wifi the changes will automatically happen or upon refresh.

What is Barnes and noble doing that is restrictive with it's wifi? Anywhere there is wifi you can connect including all at&t's wifif hotspots. Barnes and noble does put in any restrictiions.

You can also store your books in "cloud" with the nook, it's called archiving. They may not use the term "cloud" but it's the exact samething. Storing your digital content.
These archiving features are for B&N content only. That's the same as Kindle. I'm talking about 3rd party content (or any side-loaded content in the case of Nook, even if it is from B&N). You can't make it go away without hooking up the cable.

The wifi is 'restrictive' in the sense that it is only good for getting to the B&N store. The browser basically doesn't work except to authorize facebook/twitter/gmail/proxied connections. And there's no way to push 3rd party content to the Nook STR over wifi.

Kindle's browser is pretty lame but at least it does wikipedia lookups very well, accesses 3rd party cloud storage, gmail in a pinch, etc. And the ability to email content to your Kindle when and where you find it is very nice.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #48
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Epub (I prefer it, regardless of whether joecampo thinks it makes no sense or not)
SD Card slot (no, I don't care about the cloud)
Same price (would not buy an ad supported device)
Form factor (rubberized concave back is excellent)
Physical buttons (if I want them they are there, I like that)
All of the in-store perks mentioned in this thread.

All of these reasons keep me firmly in the B&N camp, for now at least.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #49
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Barnes and Noble does store your library in the cloud, it's called archiving and it's unlimited

If so that is completley lame that you have supply your own charger or buy theirs when it should be supplied to you
If it's micro USB, I don't know about you, but I've got no shortage.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #50
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Same here. It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother to remove the usb cable from the package when I get a device. Keep it stored there so it's readily available when I sell.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
USB chargers have become so ubiquitous, that it's arguable whether it's necessary to charge everybody $5 extra for a charger that they'll probably never use, or to let those few people who want one buy it separately.

After all, it's not as if people can't charge the Kindle without a wall charger; it can be charged from a PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Same here. It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother to remove the usb cable from the package when I get a device. Keep it stored there so it's readily available when I sell.
But that's a different question. The Kindle IS supplied with a microUSB cable. It's a wall charger that's not supplied.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #53
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But that's a different question. The Kindle IS supplied with a microUSB cable. It's a wall charger that's not supplied.
Yes, different. I was writing in fragments. My complete thought was it doesn't bother me when I get a device with a cable and no charger because I leave it packed in the box anyway. I'll do the same with the Kindle and use what I have already.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #54
johnnyK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
but that's not the point, a charger should be included, you should be left to your own devices to charge your device. I don't think I ever bought a device that did not include a charger.

That would be like getting a new blu ray pplayer but no ac cable to plug it in. Sure you can run out to Radio Shack or Best buy and buy a standard ac cord but shouldn't have to. Now what if you bought one for an elder member of your family, so they have to run out spend more money on something that should have been included. Make no sense that people are cheering on this decision.

Last edited by johnnyK; 10-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #55
johnnyK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
USB chargers have become so ubiquitous, that it's arguable whether it's necessary to charge everybody $5 extra for a charger that they'll probably never use, or to let those few people who want one buy it separately.

After all, it's not as if people can't charge the Kindle without a wall charger; it can be charged from a PC.
be interesting to see the reaction if Barnes and noble didn't include a charger. How the kindle community would just roast them, but when the kindle doesn't it's a feature. go figure

Last edited by johnnyK; 10-03-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #56
SCION
Séduisant

The Kobo Touch is another device without an AC adapter. I agree, they should be included, but it won't stop me from buying a device.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #57
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
but that's not the point, a charger should be included, you should be left to your own devices to charge your device. I don't think I ever bought a device that did not include a charger.
None of our four iPods came with a charger.
Pretty sure my 505 didn't come with a charger.
The iPad and the Nook Color did, in each case because they draw more power than a normal USB device.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #58
johnnyK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The Kobo Touch is another device without an AC adapter. I agree, they should be included, but it won't stop me from buying a device.
depending on the person in the grand sheme of things it's not that big of a deal, but to someone who doesn't have a usb wall charger, the fact you have to run out and buy one is rather cheesy.

so if you need one you might as well add $20+ the cost of the new Kindle

Last edited by johnnyK; 10-03-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #59
johnnyK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
None of our four iPods came with a charger.
Pretty sure my 505 didn't come with a charger.
The iPad and the Nook Color did, in each case because they draw more power than a normal USB device.
Most mp3 players are meant to charge from a computer, but larger devices such as an ereader or any other larger devcie, charging from a computer can be painfully slow and some won't charge if the computer falls into sleep which then makes it a rather inconvienant way to charge your device.

my point is it'sSOP to have a wall charger included and not to be left on your own accord to supply something so basic. But it amazes me how people will defend Amazon no matter what. It's just odd .

Last edited by johnnyK; 10-03-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #60
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
depending on the person in the grand sheme of things it's not that big of a deal, but to someone who doesn't have a usb wall charger, the fact you have to run out and buy one is rather cheesy.
Indeed. My Sony tablet didn't even come with a USB cable to transfer files. Very cheesy. Outright cheap.