Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Clif_Hamel
Clif_Hamel began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
PC Folders to iPad Photo

I am unable to get PC picture folders with subfolders into the iPad. Only the top folders of the 'My Pictures' folder are copied. Anyone found a way to get all the folders copied to the iPad? Thanks...
Clif_Hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
I think it will only sync one folder deep.
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
And just to clarify - there is no way to drag and drop photos, but you can drag and drop music, videos and books, correct? I wonder why that is?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The iPad does not support a hierachical file system yet. That will be with OS4 next fall.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
The iPad does not support a hierachical file system yet. That will be with OS4 next fall.
This is not true, or more precisely this is confusing.

Come OS4, iPad/iPhone will gain support for folders solely for arranging apps on the home screen. Nothing to do with the file system.

Getting media onto the device will still have to go through iTunes, although you will also be able to have a shared directory on the device that can be accessed by any app that is written with awareness of the feature.

In answer to the original post, the best way to get your PC folders of photos onto your iPad/iPhone etc is using Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 or Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1389

Let us know how you get on.

Best,
matt
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
wayner
Connoisseur

I checked out the FAQ about syncing photos but with respect to Photoshop it still seems to be that you can only "sync all of your photos or just certain collections of photos".

What is so wrong in the Apple world with being able to copy one photo via drag and drop to iTunes, just like you can copy one song or one video? Is that too much to ask for?

I don't want to be using up Gigs of precious flash memory on my iPad to hold photos, but I do want to carry around a few photos of my family. Why do you have to go through the intermediate step of creating an "iDevice Sync" folder where you would copy your photos?

Am I being unreasonable in saying that they need to rethink how you get photos onto your iDevice?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess the issue is caught up in the fact that iTunes doesn't manage photos natively. On a Mac you use iPhoto, on a PC... you use something else.

However, syncing certain collections of photos - what's wrong with that? It's what i do on my Mac using the iTunes/iPhoto combo.

I already manage my photos in way that I can refer to them by date, collection, topic etc. I just tick a box in iTunes and the ones I want are on my iPad/iPhone.

So, maybe try resisting a little less and see if you can change your workflow so that things work for you?

matt
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
wayner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
IHowever, syncing certain collections of photos - what's wrong with that? It's what i do on my Mac using the iTunes/iPhoto combo.

So, maybe try resisting a little less and see if you can change your workflow so that things work for you?
Because IMHO the "sync" idea doesn't make as much sense for photos as it does for stuff like music. And it may add an additional step forcing you to create additional folders on your PC, which will duplicate files taking up more disk space. I generally store my photos in folders arranged by month. So if I want photos from multiple months I have to copy them to my "iPad Sync" folder on a one-by-one basis. It is not the end of the world but it does take a bit more work than just dragging them from Picassa (which I use for organizing photos) to iTunes.

And I don't understand why you can't sync photos from your iPod/iPad to a different computer. I can understand why you don't allow this with music since the files are generally coyrighted, but this is not the case with photos. How many photos on the typical person's iDevice are copyrighted? Probably zero. So why I can't I transfer the photos from my iDevice to my mother's computer when I am at her house? Why does Steve Jobs have an issue with me doing this? Is it because he is forcing photos into a music paradigm?

But it looks like the workflow that works best is to drop Windows and Linux and buy a Mac!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
gingerbeardman
Zealot

As far as I was aware, creating an album is just a list of shortcuts to the enclosed photos, not duplication. At least it is on iPhoto, not sure of Adobe's way. Of course, if you're using Picassa, then unfortunately I doubt there's never going to be an easy way for you to do this.

If you've got access to a Linux machine try F-Spot - it works very well with my iPhone running it under Ubuntu.

Also, chill out on the hatred for Apple. There's more to life
Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Because IMHO the "sync" idea doesn't make as much sense for photos as it does for stuff like music.
Agreed.

The only thing I actually like syncing for is podcasts as that's easier for getting new episodes on your iPod and deleting the old episodes you've listened to vs. doing it manually.

Everything else I prefer just manually drag and drop etc. Even music on my Nano. Now if I had a 32GB or bigger iPod I'd be ok with syncing music as I'd want every song on there like I have on my Creative Vision M. But for my 8GB Nano I just want to drag and drop albums manually to put whatever I want on their for workouts at the time etc.

So that's a big drawback of iDevices for me. I don't loathe iTunes completely, but I'm just not a fan of syncing vs. just having a file system and drag and drop. Especially in a tablet device that I'm going to put a lot of different types of files on.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Agreed.

The only thing I actually like syncing for is podcasts as that's easier for getting new episodes on your iPod and deleting the old episodes you've listened to vs. doing it manually.

Everything else I prefer just manually drag and drop etc. Even music on my Nano. Now if I had a 32GB or bigger iPod I'd be ok with syncing music as I'd want every song on there like I have on my Creative Vision M. But for my 8GB Nano I just want to drag and drop albums manually to put whatever I want on their for workouts at the time etc.

So that's a big drawback of iDevices for me. I don't loathe iTunes completely, but I'm just not a fan of syncing vs. just having a file system and drag and drop. Especially in a tablet device that I'm going to put a lot of different types of files on.
I am on a mac so some of this may not work on pc but

I use drag and drop to manage files on my iPhone

open itunes and drag song onto iphone = on device(works if music already on itunes)
open OS folder containing song, drag it over iTunes window and onto iPhone icon = on device

photos are slightly different open iPhoto drag photo to iphone smart folder(this means it only contains links to the image) in iPhoto it is then auto added to iPhone.

to remove any stuff I just drag it out of iphone in itunes or out of smart folder in iPhoto and its gone from device.

the photo stuff also works well with aperture .
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah for music it's fine. You can drag and drop into iTunes (which I only learned recently) and can then drag and drop on to your iPod etc.

Photos have to be synced on PCs as far as I know--no iPhoto. Documents are a mixed bag. You can drag and drop into Goodreader and some other apps--but it really needs (at the very least) a central file location to drag any type of document and have apps be able to access rather than apps having to have their own file areas etc.

In any case, some are fine with the system. I'm not. I want a tablet that I can just plug in, have it show up like an external hard drive and then manage files, drag and drop etc. just like with an external HD.

So it's highly unlikely I'll ever get an iPad and will wait and see if any Android tablets fit that bill, or more likely wait until we there's a Windows 7 tablet with good battery life.

Playing around with my Girlfriend's iPad more, the novelty has worn off. I just don't need a media consumption tablet. I need a productivity tablet that works more like a PC, but can also do all the media consumption stuff. So I'll probably be waiting a couple years to get something that does all that, has a good UI, 8-10 hour battery life etc. But as I've said before tablets aren't a "got to have it now!" device for me, so I have no problems waiting.

In any case, I'll not post here so much anymore since I don't see myself ending up with an iPad and I think the device areas should be for owners and potential owners.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
gingerbeardman
Zealot

Quote:
it really needs (at the very least) a central file location to drag any type of document and have apps be able to access rather than apps having to have their own file areas etc.
This is in iTunes 9.1 but requires OS 3.2 on iPad or OS 4 on iPhone, and an app written to support it. Comic Zeal is a good app that works with the shared folder on iPad.

So, hang in there
Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
tmarks11
tmarks11 began at the beginning.

Device: Everun
Quote:
So I'll probably be waiting a couple years to get something that does all that, has a good UI, 8-10 hour battery life etc.
Why wait? Viliv x70EX comes close to giving you all of that. 6 hour battery, 7" screen, Win7.

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/06/vi...-videos/all/1/

ok. So maybe it isn't exactly what you want: it has a resistive screen.

Since Viliv just started producing the S10 convertable tablet with a capacitive screen, maybe we can expect a refresh of their smaller tablet line with capacitive screens in the next year.
tmarks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Form factor looks pretty bad. 6 hour battery is a bit short (8-10 is my range).

And it has the problem most of the upcoming tablets have--16:9 screen. I'd mainly use a tablet in landscape mode (PDFs, books etc.), so I'd prefer a 4:3 or similar ratio. Also has the advantage of apps working well in either orientation like on the iPad--which is hard to do with a very wide ratio as it's just too narrow in portrait.

In any case, like I said I'm in no rush. I can wait 2 or 3 years. Or I could go the rest of my life with no tablet. If one fits my VERY specific needs/wants I'll buy one. If not I won't.

Basically my ideal tablet is a 11" or so 4:3 screen, UI as slick as the iPad's (not just windows 7)--but with a real file management system and straight drag and drop, multi-tasking, flash support etc. 10+ hour battery life.

My guess is an Android based tablet will have the best chance of doing that, but maybe Windows 7 Mobile will surprise me. I definitely don't want plain Windows 7 with touch navigation.

So for now I'll just keep tabs on what comes out, and when something catches my eye I'll wait for the 2nd gen version and take the plunge. I'm just not the early adopter type. Don't like paying higher prices for early tech that doesn't have the kinks worked out or specs optimized etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-22-2010 at 06:58 PM.