Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
fontencrypt.py - Add Adobe encryption to fonts in ePub

Here is my python script for encoding the fonts found in an ePub file. And also, for those on Mac OS X 10.5 (& probably 10.6), an AppleScript that turns using the python script into a drag&drop experience.

This script encodes the fonts according to the method Adobe uses in ADE. It does not use the IDPF method, as ADE doesn't seem to support than encoding method yet. EPubs with fonts encoded with the script /do/ work on the Sony PRS-505

Fonts must be declared in the manifest (in content.opf) of the ePub
The metadata element in content.opf must have contain a dc:identifier
The text of that element must start with the characters "urn:uuid:" or must have an ofp:scheme="UUID" attribute
The text of the dc:identifier (apart from any "urn:uuid:" prefix) must be at least 16 (preferably 32) hexadecimal digits, optionally spaced by dashes, and no other characters.

The first dc:identifier in the file meeting the above requirements is used, as per the Adobe spec.

Also attached is a sample content.opf showing the above requirements.

usage:
python fontencrypt.py infile.epub outfile.epub

(or just drag&drop an ePub onto the AppleScript)

Feedback welcome.

[Update: Now version 1.1 that correctly selects the first appropriate dc:identifier as per the adobe spec.]

[Update: Now version 1.2 that handles that case of a dc:identifier with both a UUID attribute and a urn:uuid: prefix.]
Attached Files
File Type: zip content.opf.zip (1.2 KB, 684 views)
File Type: zip Font Encrypt.app.zip (28.2 KB, 655 views)
File Type: zip fontencrypt.py.zip (2.5 KB, 720 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-20-2009 at 01:39 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The package element in content.opf must have a unique-identifier attribute
The metadata element in content.opf must have contain a dc:identifier with an id equal to the value of the unique-identifier's value
The text of that element must start with the characters "urn:uuid:" and must continue with with at least 16 (preferably 32) hexadecimal digits, optionally spaced by dashes, and no other characters.
If I read the Adobe document and the OPF spec correctly, the OPF can have several <dc:identifier> elements, at least one must have an id, but having an id is not necessary for all of them. The "encryption" will use the first UUID URN-based identifier, which does not necessarily have an id, and if it has, it does not necessarily match the unique-identifier attribute.

What I'm trying to understand is what requirements are needed for the scheme to work in ADE and what are needed only for your script...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know - you're completely right. I got this wrong because the IDPF method is to identify the dc:identifier by id, and the one sample I had of the Adobe version also worked like this (but also did the urn:uuid: on the same dc_identifier)

So yes, it's possible for my script to not work if the ePub contains /two/ dc:identifier elements, both with urn:uuid:, and the second linked from the unique id attribute.

And it would also fail if there was no unique id attribute.

I'll fix it and upload a new version.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If I read the Adobe document and the OPF spec correctly, the OPF can have several <dc:identifier> elements, at least one must have an id, but having an id is not necessary for all of them. The "encryption" will use the first UUID URN-based identifier, which does not necessarily have an id, and if it has, it does not necessarily match the unique-identifier attribute.

What I'm trying to understand is what requirements are needed for the scheme to work in ADE and what are needed only for your script...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

And I now upload version 1.2, which fixes bugs in the identification of the UUID that I introduced in 1.1!

Quote:

I'll fix it and upload a new version.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Does the latest version of ADE break this? I thought I had this working until I upgraded to 1.7.2, now the epubs I had before with embedded/encrypted fonts don't show the fonts - they revert to system fonts. To say nothing about fresh ones.

Not to say I'm doing everything right; it just seemed odd.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
Does the latest version of ADE break this? I thought I had this working until I upgraded to 1.7.2, now the epubs I had before with embedded/encrypted fonts don't show the fonts - they revert to system fonts. To say nothing about fresh ones.

Hmm... I don't know. I haven't upgraded to 1.7.2 yet. It certainly shouldn't break it - as far as I know the script processes everything to spec.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hmm... I don't know. I haven't upgraded to 1.7.2 yet. It certainly shouldn't break it - as far as I know the script processes everything to spec.
What the latest ADE (1.7.2) breaks is the key getting process. But I have a way around it that now works using a beta version of the key getter. But you may need to edit it to get it to work. What we need to do is get it so it just runs as is without needing to be edited.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What the latest ADE (1.7.2) breaks is the key getting process. But I have a way around it that now works using a beta version of the key getter. But you may need to edit it to get it to work. What we need to do is get it so it just runs as is without needing to be edited.
This thread is about ePubs when only the fonts are encrypted, rather than the entire ePub being encrypted.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What the latest ADE (1.7.2) breaks is the key getting process. .... What we need to do is get it so it just runs as is without needing to be edited.
As scripting = not allowed, and multiple encryption schemes can't possibly work, this should mean that formerly encrypted fonts now no longer work, but only somethimes? Which means re-doing formerly built font-encrypted books needing to be rebuilt to support the new process. Until the old version 1.7.1 actually completely expires, does this mean 2 versions of books are now needed? And what about devices?

Dagnab you adobe, making it all hard and all.

-bjc
Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Hmm... I'll try updating to 1.7.2 and see if I can spot the problem. But not tonight.

Quote:
As scripting = not allowed, and multiple encryption schemes can't possibly work, this should mean that formerly encrypted fonts now no longer work, but only somethimes? Which means re-doing formerly built font-encrypted books needing to be rebuilt to support the new process. Until the old version 1.7.1 actually completely expires, does this mean 2 versions of books are now needed? And what about devices?

Dagnab you adobe, making it all hard and all.

-bjc
Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Indesign-embedded fonts still seem to work in 1.7.2. Embedded font tests from indesign in
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66594

-bjc
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

-bjc
I've just upgraded to 1.7.2 on Mac OS X. I'm still seeing my embedded encrypted fonts. (i.e. fonts encrypted with the script linked from this thread.)

If you upload a sample ePub that's failing for you, perhaps I can spot the difference that's causing the problem.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I've just upgraded to 1.7.2 on Mac OS X. I'm still seeing my embedded encrypted fonts. (i.e. fonts encrypted with the script linked from this thread.)

If you upload a sample ePub that's failing for you, perhaps I can spot the difference that's causing the problem.
I have no experienced this problem. I no longer have an earlier version of ADE, so I'm guessing, but it seems that previous versions accepted opf:scheme="UUID" as identifying a valid uuid identifier, e.g.

<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">c2ff824c-f984-4efc-844d-47875c302ba5</dc:identifier>

I'm certainly now seeing that the encryption key is only read if the urn:uuid: prefix is applied, and whether there's an opf:scheme="UUID" is unimportant.

So: make sure your have that urn:uuid: prefix on the identifier.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
mmdigitalconnect
mmdigitalconnect began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi pdurrent

Do you have script using IDPF encryption method or advise me where to find?
mmdigitalconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdigitalconnect View Post
Hi pdurrent

Do you have script using IDPF encryption method or advise me where to find?
I do have one, but since at the time I wrote it nothing would render IDPF obfuscated fonts, it hasn't had final testing.