Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Anderson, Edward: Thieves Like Us. v1, 28 Aug 2008

Added: Link and rewording:

This title was released under a Creative Commons License with a link to the book here and with additional acknowledgement AND a link again placed at the end of the book. Book was acquired from Munseys, BUT REFORMATED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

http://www.munseys.com/book/27118/Thieves_Like_Us

Edward Anderson's great hard-hitting noir novel, "Thieves Like Us," was originally published in 1937 and takes place during the Great Drepression.

The Basis for Two films:
Basis for the 1949 film noir "They Live By Night," directed by Nicholas Ray and starring Farley Granger and Cathy O'Donnell. Remade in 1974 as "Thieves Like Us" by director Robert Altman, starring Keith Carradine and Shelley Duvall.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-28-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added link and rewording
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Sounds wonderful, but will you be uploading it in prc.? Thanks....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
silkpag
Enthusiast
silkpag began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Sounds wonderful, but will you be uploading it in prc.? Thanks....
No, Dr. Drib is this pathetic man who, whenever I get some media attention or whatever, takes it upon himself to snatch up all the books I've scanned and proofed for Munsey's and repost them here. If you're really lucky, he'll feed you stories about his mansion and world-renowned collection of antiquities, but he's not capable of doing books in Mobi.

You can however find that book in PRC here.

silkpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm very much hoping that was intended as either humour or irony.

Be fair: the good doctor always mentions his sources, so that Munsey's gets due credit. And a very good site it is too.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkpag View Post
No, Dr. Drib is this pathetic man who, whenever I get some media attention or whatever, takes it upon himself to snatch up all the books I've scanned and proofed for Munsey's and repost them here. If you're really lucky, he'll feed you stories about his mansion and world-renowned collection of antiquities, but he's not capable of doing books in Mobi.

You can however find that book in PRC here.

Yes, I do indeed hope your comments were intended as humor or irony. There are little smiley faces to the side to help mitigate such remarks.

Thank you for scanning in this fine novel for Munseys. Munseys is a great site where public domain and Creative Commons titles are freely available.

My attributions for such sources are recorded at the beginning of every upload here on MobileRead and within - and at the end - of each title that I assemble to my liking.

Again, I thank you for your wonderful work. There are no smiley faces on my previous sentence, but I will use one on my last sentence:

I sold the mansion.

Don
Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
silkpag
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm very much hoping that was intended either humour or irony.

Be fair: the good doctor always mentions his sources, so that Munsey's gets due credit. And a very good site it is too.
Actually, I'd file that under "observations." And the good doctor has done everything he can not to comply with the pretty basic terms of the Creative Commons License (i.e., linking directly to the source, so, if nothing else, people can catch revised editions.)

I mean, it's not that big of a deal. For pulps, I spent the first six months of this year rescanning classics, getting professional covers, printing things in two places, taking the new editions to specialty stores.... lot of time, some money involved. I also threw 50 smutty books together last June to meet a deadline. As a result, Black Mask is now my fifth imprint, behind Silk, The Green Ones, The Pink Ones and the Grey Ones.... and it might be sixth soon (doing something with Munsey's of late).

He's just one more disincentive.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

An apology to silkpag:

I've added a link and slightly reworded the opening for any Creative Commons and public domain books that come from Munseys. (See the revised wording and link for this title.) This has now been clarified. Additionaly, the link - always available at the end of a book - has now been added to the message area one reads about before deciding to download any specific title.

I want to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Your work for Munseys is gratefully appreciated by me.

Sincerely,
Don
Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
silkpag
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
An apology to silkpag:

I've added a link and slightly reworded the opening for any Creative Commons and public domain books that come from Munseys. (See the revised wording and link for this title.) This has now been clarified. Additionaly, the link - always available at the end of a book - has now been added to the message area one reads about before deciding to download any specific title.

I want to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Your work for Munseys is gratefully appreciated by me.

Sincerely,
Don
Just 400 titles to go.

And again, despite the crassness, I don't care. (No, really, I don't care. I actually wrote a pulp, about not caring, just so I could be like one of those late-70s Lesbian publishers, who went all metallica on potential book buyers. Me, I just turned the cover on Lost by the River and hid it.)

My primary incentive has always been a measure of respect, which has been lacking, to the point of anger and redemption.

But whatever.

Munseys.net is almost there (and the free ebooks sites have been loss leaders since '04.)