Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I was thinking it was something like that.

If IMDB is owned by Amazon it makes sense. PLUS she probably has an amazon account...and Amazon requires a lot of information. They do not really tell you what they use the info for.
Even if it's not the law right now, it should be that we know what the information that is collected is used for. We also need to be notified of changes to those policies that may arise in the future. Just because I gave you my address and age back when you didn't distribute information to other parties, you do need to allow me to say no to future distribution or display.

I still agree with most that she probably doesn't have a case here, but we really do need a few more facts.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
She claims she was harmed because she is almost 40 but looks much younger, and studios wouldn't want to hire her if they knew she was almost 40.
These kinds of lawsuits usually open with a minor band and end with a whimper when they get thrown out of court or settled for pennies on the dollar.

What I find eye-roll worthy is the assertion that the studios won't hire her because of her age even though she looks "much younger." Really, now? Those the same studios that routinely cast thirty-somethings as teenagers? Hollywood, where appearance is all that matters?

Yes, Hollywood routinely casts aside actresses once they get too old to pass as young adults, but that usually happens when they start looking their real age, usually way past 40. And there are plenty of actresses still playing romantic leads while pushing 50. The miracles of cosmetic surgery. ("Thats not a dimple on her chin, it's her bellybutton.")

As for who it might be, I wouldn't look to any high visibility veteran. Those have enough of a track record that hiding their age just isn't feasible. If you must speculate, look for someone like Kristin Kreuk. (Though she is canadian, not texan.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I really want to know who it is so I can laugh at her.
Rumors floating around the web speculate that it's either Nicole Bilderback or Celine Joëlle Tran, whoever they are ...

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-18-2011 at 01:13 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
These kinds of lawsuits usually open with a minor band and end with a whimper when they get thrown out of court or settled for pennies on the dollar.

What I find eye-roll worthy is the assertion that the studios won't hire her because of her age even though she looks "much younger." Really, now? Those the same studios that routinely cast thirty-somethings as teenagers? Hollywood, where appearance is all that matters?

Yes, Hollywood routinely casts aside actresses once they get too old to pass as young adults, but that usually happens when they start looking their real age, usually way past 40. And there are plenty of actresses still playing romantic leads while pushing 50. The miracles of cosmetic surgery. ("Thats not a dimple on her chin, it's her bellybutton.")

As for who it might be, I wouldn't look to any high visibility veteran. Those have enough of a track record that hiding their age just isn't feasible. If you must speculate, look for someone like Kristin Kreuk. (Though she is canadian, not texan.)

If IMDpro has a feature where casting agencies can run a search for actors and use age limits as exclusion/inclusion criteria in the search, you can see why she would be miffed.

Not that I agree with her. As a paid service, IMDpro probably has a legal obligation to provide accurate information when it comes to quantifiable facts, and the casting agencies probably wouldn't like them to falsify these facts.

The basic crux of the matter is the source of their information and their right to use said source without explicit permission from the actress.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I really want to know who it is so I can laugh at her.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
I'd be astounded if this doesn't get tossed out of court. It's such a tenuous connection at best, and with so many legitimate ways to get a birthdate...

I really hope it gets tossed. I know civil suits have a different standard of proof than criminal ones, but unless she's got proof that Amazon did it, this sounds like legal harassment.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
I really hope it gets tossed. I know civil suits have a different standard of proof than criminal ones, but unless she's got proof that Amazon did it, this sounds like legal harassment.
It's a great shame that the US doesn't adopt the British practice of the loser of a court case having to pay the legal costs of both sides. It's s great discouragement to frivolous lawsuits.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #23
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a great shame that the US doesn't adopt the British practice of the loser of a court case having to pay the legal costs of both sides. It's s great discouragement to frivolous lawsuits.
Though I agree with you, the counter argument is that legal cases are so expensive in this country that it would discourage way too many legitimate cases for fear of losing. I still think doing it looser pays all would be a net benefit, but I can understand the other side is afraid that civil justice will become a rich only luxury.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I don't think anybody pointed out that IMDB (and Wikipedia) has birth dates for just about any actor.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Hey, she is only living the new American Dream: "stay at home and get rich by suing someone". It's only topped by: "go to Wall St. and get rich by being bailed out by the tax payer".

Last edited by CommonReader; 10-18-2011 at 02:59 PM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #26
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hmm... why wouldnt the studios already know her birth date? they have to file tax reports just as any one else so she would have listed her info on what ever tax forms she filed when being hired.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #27
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
If you must speculate, look for someone like Kristin Kreuk. (Though she is canadian, not texan.)
While by no means and A-list star, I would say Kreuk is still far too well-known for such a tactic. Besides, I'm pretty sure she is well under 40. I seem to recall reading somewhere that she was in her late teens or early twenties when she was cast as Lana Lang in Smallville. If that is correct, then she would be no more than early 30s right now.

I can only imagine that this person is someone who is all but unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
hmm... why wouldnt the studios already know her birth date? they have to file tax reports just as any one else so she would have listed her info on what ever tax forms she filed when being hired.
Now that is an excellent point.

*EDIT* Just checked Kristen Kreuk out on Wiki, and she was born on December 30, 1982. Not only is she well under 40, but is over 5 months younger than I am.

Last edited by afa; 10-18-2011 at 04:06 PM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #28
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Apparently, the suit alleges that she looks so much younger that she can't get roles appropriate for her actual age because she looks too young.

Yeah, there's theoretically an real issue here, in that IMDB may have collected information for one purpose, and used it for another without permission (and if that information involved some kind of credit check, yeah, that's a genuine issue), but this is more about narcisissm than any real legal issue, and probably more even than greed.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
While by no means and A-list star, I would say Kreuk is still far too well-known for such a tactic. Besides, I'm pretty sure she is well under 40. I seem to recall reading somewhere that she was in her late teens or early twenties when she was cast as Lana Lang in Smallville. If that is correct, then she would be no more than early 30s right now...
Nicole Bilderback looks like a good candidate. (hat tip to joehunt)
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The eye of an occasional cynic sees a possibly less-than-"A-list" actress/celebrity using a law suit and the resultant Streisand Effect to raise her profile and possibly alter her casting type (to something more "mature") or emphasise her existing one. If the news media starts reporting this all over as "news", I would place money on a PR agent providing them with at least half their copy.

But I'm in a bad mood today, so take my cynicism with a grain of salt.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote