Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple Reports Q3 Results

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-....html?x=0&.v=1

Quote:
Apple sold 3.47 million Macs during the quarter, representing a new quarterly record and a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 8.4 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 61 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 9.41 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. The Company began selling iPads during the quarter, with total sales of 3.27 million.
iPhones/iPads/Macs up, iPods down.

Liveblog of Call here: http://www.macworld.com/article/1527...?lsrc=rss_main

Jason Snell of Macworld said the average selling price of the iPad was $662...so not all $499 16G/wifi models

He also notes that: Apple sold 1M iPads in 28 days. 1M more in the next 30 days. 1M more in the next 22 days. 270,000 more in the following 9 days. So no sign of sales slacking off.

(of course, they are adding new countries as well-at some point they'll run out of new countries to add - iPhone is available in 88 countries right now-but the iPhone 4 is only in 5 to date)

Free bumpers are going to be a $175 million expenditure for September quarter.

Last edited by kjk; 07-20-2010 at 05:45 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
What will be interesting to see is Q3 2011 results, but we will just have to wait as I don't believe that the U.S. can keep its' ponzi scheme going until then.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Yeah, that was a pretty good quarter. Because of that and because of the new products coming out in the next few months (iPod Touch 4, iOS4 for iPad, new iMacs with Trackpads), I expect the stock to recover from antennagate before the end of the year. I also don't expect a permanent hit in iPhone 4 sales.

By the way, I’m wondering about the iPod sales. I was under the assumption that there was merely a shift from iPod Classics to iPod touches, but apparently there is more to it. Well, I guess the market is just fed up because everyone has at least one iPod by now!
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post

Well, I guess the market is just fed up because everyone has at least one iPod by now!
Saturation is very possible. I bought my video iPod about four years ago. I don't see any reason to buy another, unless it craps out. I bought two as gifts at the same time, and both those people are still using theirs.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I think the 2nd gen nano was the last one we had..2006?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

The annoying thing about owning an old iPod (mine is 5.5 generation) is trying to replace a case. There are a million cases online, many badly labeled with model info, and it's hard to find exactly the case you want when shopping online. And of course, brick-and-mortar stores aren't stocking cases for the oldies. I've ended up with a bunch of cases that I don't like.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
The only iPod I've ever owned is a first-gen Nano from 2005 - still using it. For many people though, I think the iPod functions in an iPhone have replaced the need for a separate device - though certainly not for everyone; my teenage daughter turned her nose up at my old iPhone because it was 'only' 8Gb, lol...

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
The only iPod I've ever owned is a first-gen Nano from 2005 - still using it. For many people though, I think the iPod functions in an iPhone have replaced the need for a separate device - though certainly not for everyone; my teenage daughter turned her nose up at my old iPhone because it was 'only' 8Gb, lol...

Pete
Because I use my iPod primarily for audiobooks, which are big, the iPhone's 32GB isn't enough for my needs. I have a 160GB iPod Classic for my audio books; I store my favourite music on my iPhone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because I use my iPod primarily for audiobooks, which are big, the iPhone's 32GB isn't enough for my needs. I have a 160GB iPod Classic for my audio books; I store my favourite music on my iPhone.
Yup, my music and audio books would overload my 3G iPhone, too. I don't have a single song or audio book on my phone. I keep 'em all on iPod.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I currently own an iPod Shuffle 3G and an iPhone Classic. Had three iPods before that (original 5GB, Mini, and Photo). I have always been very interested in the iPod Nano, but quite frankly, since I’ve gotten an iPhone I just don't have any use for it. The iPod Shuffle is different because of it's size and awesome controls, but the normal iPod is ... well, it's already in my iPhone’s home screen.

Plus, the iPod’s evolution has noticeably slowed down. The iPod Classic has basically remained the same for the last 2+ years. The iPod Nano hasn't changed much either, last year it just gotten a terrible video camera and that's it. Honestly, I don't expect much change this year either. Maybe the Classic will get HD video support and a VGA out like the others (although HD would only really make sense with HDMI/DP), and the iPod Nano could use a cam that's not that crappy. I guess the focus will be on the iPod Touch. Which is kinda sad, because Microsoft’s Zune HD shows that there are indeed improvements possible, like HDMI out and music subscription.

Last edited by Yoshi 1080; 07-21-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote