Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
medievalpacman
medievalpacman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How to Not Break My Kindle

So I recently broke my kindle screen. It had a basic cover and was left inside my backpack. I had it for 2 months like this and all of a sudden the screen broke one day.

I just got my replacement and I was wondering if there are any good advice for preventing this from happening again :P.

And are there any safe way to transport my kindle since placing it in the deep ends of my backpack is clearly detrimental.
medievalpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
All of a sudden ?
Screen is broken ? How ?
First: what is a basic cover ?
Second: Don't leave Kindles and other brakeable things at the bottom of a backpack, AND then pile kilo's & kilo's of HARD things, with sharp corners on top.
The Amazon covers ( only have the lighted one ), seems pretty sturdy, but I suspect even those could not protect the K3 in all situations.
Basically: Remember that the Kindle is sort of fragile, so DON'T keep it at the bottom of your backpack. Better get an other backpack with a different layout so your Kindle is better protected.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
medievalpacman

Pretty much it is in the pouch separated from the hard things but somehow the hard things manage to cause the screen to break. I was using it fine 3 hours before it broke and I placed it in my backpack (in that pouch in my backpack), came home and the screen was broken.

The screen was broken 3/4 and on the 1/4 left you only see lines moving when you are pressing the keys.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I've read so many threads here and elsewhere where Kindles end up broken in rucksacks - perhaps a combo of no or inadequate cover plus the fact that people are used to not treating rucksacks carefully - being swung here, thrown there and receiving knocks from all over.

I keep my Kindle in a over-the-shoulder bag when on the move - the Kindle fits quite snugly in one of the compartments and doesn't move around much. It's also kept in the lighted-cover which is quite a hard case.

I'm not sure what you mean OP by basic cover - but if you're taking your Kindle out and about a lot, a hard case will give the best protection. And perhaps a bag where the Kindle fits snugly and isn't going to get swung or knocked much.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I would get an aluminium case or some other metal, to transport the Kindle in, in a rucksack. I don't really think leather or other cases are sufficient to withstand the kind of forces your Kindle is subjected to when carrying it in a rucksack with a lot of books. Some say that it can be done, or they have done it with just a sturdy cover. In my opinion they've been lucky till sofar. I mean: I've seen my teenager throw her rucksack with expensive calculators and such in it around;you would't believe it. Or schoolmates that did it for her.
Or you could transport your Kindle, with a sturdy cover in a seperate bag, like Kindleworm says.

Last edited by desertblues; 12-05-2010 at 04:17 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm not a Kindle user, but the case I bought for my reader is an M-Edge Executive. Short of a Polycarbonate or metal case, this thing seems to be ideal for protection.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
I think my Tuff-Luv case (Tuff-Luv case) will prevent my Kindle screen from breaking. It looks sufficient protection.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just don't underestimate the forces that can work on your Kindle, if it's too tightly wedged between other things. These forces have to go somewhere-----takes the easiest route----which sometimes is the Kindle-screen. Take care.

Last edited by desertblues; 12-05-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
The display is the riskiest component, large, brittle, essential, and largely unprotected.

I attribute the longevity of the 1994 vintage 1" x 2" display on my calculator to the cardboard that I slipped into its fabric case.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
pouch? not a real cover? I've skied with mine in an Oberon cover, no problems. you need to invest in a real cover it sounds like
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I would get an aluminium case or some other metal, to transport the Kindle in,
That is what I do with my iPad when I expect it to experience rougher handling than my soft bag can protect it. It was one of those "bonus gift collection with purchase of $50 from Lancome" or some other makeup brand. I got a sheet of 1/4 inch foam at Hobby Lobby and cut it to size. The cords and a ballpoint pen go under the foam, and the ipadgoes on top (screen against the foam).

When I was using my 505, I got a nice plastic Rubbermaid container with a tight fitting lid. You don't need the lid to come off in your backpack and expose your Kindla to sharp heavy destruction. Then put in a foam layer or a couple of thick soft washcloths. You want something soft to pad it and stop it from slipping around inside the container.

Also, just a reminder to wear it against your skin under your coat in cold weather. No sudden glass-shattering changes of temps for it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have carried mine in an Oberon for over two years now (the K1). No problems so far. It does go into a backpack for travel but normally it is in my hands.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
That is what I do with my iPad when I expect it to experience rougher handling than my soft bag can protect it. It was one of those "bonus gift collection with purchase of $50 from Lancome" or some other makeup brand. I got a sheet of 1/4 inch foam at Hobby Lobby and cut it to size. The cords and a ballpoint pen go under the foam, and the ipadgoes on top (screen against the foam).

When I was using my 505, I got a nice plastic Rubbermaid container with a tight fitting lid. You don't need the lid to come off in your backpack and expose your Kindla to sharp heavy destruction. Then put in a foam layer or a couple of thick soft washcloths. You want something soft to pad it and stop it from slipping around inside the container.

Also, just a reminder to wear it against your skin under your coat in cold weather. No sudden glass-shattering changes of temps for it.
I agree with that. I always have my Kindle in an Oberoncase (red Wild Roses), but I never, ever pack it in a backpack with heavy books.
But if I would, I'd pack it in some rigid, aluminium or hard plastic container.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I'd consider one of the polycarbonate cases, as they should stop other items from contacting the screen.

This one from mCover is cheap, but not 100% coverage. They also have models for the K2 and DX

This one from Klearkase, seems the same, but four times the price (and only for the K2). Does have a pic of someone spilling a latte on the Kindle in the case ... I don't suggest you do that, as it also seems not to completely cover the kindle.

The Guardian case from MEdge seems to be the best design (and is half retail, right now). Also available in red and in cobalt blue.

It's definitely one I'd consider if I carried mine in a backpack a lot. Or in a sandy environment (or around water, if you read at the pool).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
medievalpacman

Thx a lot! Anything like M-Edge guardian protection accessory for K3