Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #211
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Backing up from stock, rooting and installing a ROM has never been an easier process. Anyone can use Helium from the Play Store to back up their files, then use the new Cyanogenmod installer to root and install a thoroughly vetted ROM.
It's definitely easier, but I have seen people posting the dumb things they do like flashing a rom meant for a different device.

I read that Google removed the Cyanogenmod installer from the Play store for violating TOS.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #212
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It's definitely easier, but I have seen people posting the dumb things they do like flashing a rom meant for a different device.

I read that Google removed the Cyanogenmod installer from the Play store for violating TOS.
Also read that they have marked the actual rom file as malware if you try to download it in Chrome, Pretty sure Google's in the process of trying to lock Android down at the minute.

Also I'm not joking about the warranty being instantly invalid if you do root, main reason I haven't although thing's like Google blocking battery stats is making it more attractive to me.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #213
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
thing's like Google blocking battery stats is making it more attractive to me.
I must admit to some confusion on this issue. I get that users of third party battery apps are upset, but reading through the issue comments linked above most seem to be wailing that this takes away the ability to see which apps are draining the battery.

Which it doesn't. Android's own battery stats page in Settings gives that information perfectly clearly.

Google aren't blocking battery stats; they've blocked the route third party apps were using to read the battery stats.

I used a third party battery monitor for quite some while, but it gave pretty much the same results as the inbuilt stats.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-30-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #214
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I must admit to some confusion on this issue. I get that users of third party battery apps are upset, but reading through the issue comments linked above most seem to be wailing that this takes away the ability to see which apps are draining the battery.

Which it doesn't. Android's own battery stats page in Settings gives that information perfectly clearly.

Google aren't blocking battery stats; they've blocked the route third party apps were using to read the battery stats.

I used a third party battery monitor for quite some while, but it gave pretty much the same results as the inbuilt stats.

Graham
It doesn't show wakelock durations or what is making them and that is the biggest battery problem on Android. It's impossible to know what's keeping your device out of deep sleep without that information.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #215
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't show wakelock durations or what is making them and that is the biggest battery problem on Android. It's impossible to know what's keeping your device out of deep sleep without that information.
It has a Keep Awake duration shown in the battery stats for each app where relevant. From what I can gather, this is showing how long each app has held an open wakelock state.

If it isn't showing that then I've no idea what it means.

On my phone, apps that just open and close mostly have no Keep Awake reading. The brilliant Cast to DNLA app from Bubble, which does run in the background, is showing a Keep Awake duration as expected. The Nook app looks to be a culprit, showing a Keep Awake of over a day, and that's also appearing as the app that's highest in the list for battery use. Given that I've not read anything in the Nook app for a week or so, that Keep Awake value looks like a useful pointer.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-30-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #216
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Well, no. It don't show wakelocks, helped me multiple time to figure out was was going on.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #217
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, no. It don't show wakelocks, helped me multiple time to figure out was was going on.
If the Keep Awake stat isn't showing wakelock duration, what is it showing?

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-30-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #218
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Google releases OTA updates for the Nexus family of devices. The source code for Android is public, so it is up to manufacturers to download the latest and generate new firmware versions for the devices already out there.

Most manufacturers have been rather slow at pushing updates, but Motorola seems to be doing it right and they've already released Kitkat for the Moto X, and the Moto G update should be coming soon.

For the other devices (Samsung, LG, Sony, ...) you'll probably have to wait a few months to get Kitkat - unless you have a Google Play edition phone.
Both my phone and tablet have Google Play, and they're from the same manufacturer, Prestigio. My phone is still on Ice Cream Sandwich, and my tablet is on Jelly Bean, so the company is not that great when it comes to pushing updates. I might have to see about getting it done myself, though it's been a while since I flashed an Android device so I'll have to re-learn some things.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #219
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Can someone recommend a battery app that adds the percentage to the status and notification area? Right now I'm using HD Widgets but its a real battery hog. GSam no longer works at all.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #220
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Can someone recommend a battery app that adds the percentage to the status and notification area? Right now I'm using HD Widgets but its a real battery hog. GSam no longer works at all.
Have you looked at Batter Widget Reborn? There is currently a "Beta" version to assess it's functionality for your needs, and is currently on sale on Google Play if you decide to purchase.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #221
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
Have you looked at Batter Widget Reborn? There is currently a "Beta" version to assess it's functionality for your needs, and is currently on sale on Google Play if you decide to purchase.
I bought it as it does exactly what Gsam did for me. Too bad I can't get my money back on that app. I had just bought it the night before KitKat showed up. He should at lest allow it to run some of the features instead it just force closes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #222
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I updated my 2012 Nexus 7 to 4.4 and found how to fix flash for Dolphin browser - see this thread on xda - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2548001

I also do not have the italic problem with Moon+ and I think it's related to what font you use. I use Roboto regular and italic looks good. If you choose the default fonts it seems to work too - the generic sans, serif, and mono at the top of the list of fonts. When I tried any other font except Roboto regular it seems to use Roboto for italic. Roboto is the default system font so that makes sense - if it can't find the italic you want it defaults to the system font.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #223
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
If the Keep Awake stat isn't showing wakelock duration, what is it showing?

Graham
sleep doesn't matter it's the number of wakelocks that matter, every one of them is waking your entire phone and the internet maybe activating gps and reporting in etc.

sleep time really tells you very little and won't solve any battery drains.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #224
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
sleep doesn't matter it's the number of wakelocks that matter, every one of them is waking your entire phone and the internet maybe activating gps and reporting in etc.

sleep time really tells you very little and won't solve any battery drains.
In what way is the Keep Awake stat measuring sleep? It really does seem to me to be showing the wakelock duration for each app or service.

The stats for each app also show the time using GPS, the wifi data received, the wifi data sent and the CPU use.

That's a lot of useful information.

Graham
Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #225
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
In what way is the Keep Awake stat measuring sleep? It really does seem to me to be showing the wakelock duration for each app or service.

The stats for each app also show the time using GPS, the wifi data received, the wifi data sent and the CPU use.

That's a lot of useful information.

Graham
It's not the same as the number of wakelocks, each time something wakes your phone up it can take a long time to go back into deep sleep if ever, the frequency of wakelocks even if they are tiny amounts of time might be keeping your device permanently out of deep sleep.

As far as I'm concerned the inbuilt battery screen is basically useless.