Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Need some help with author and author sort

Before I change the meta-data for 150 ebooks in libprs500 and also the .lrf meta-data with lrf-meta I would like to check if anyone has an opinion about what is the best meta-data to enter.

Last edited by shousa; 02-07-2008 at 10:01 PM.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
shousa
Groupie

No probs - I do not have my 505 yet but when I do I will test many combinations to work it out and report back.

Last edited by shousa; 02-07-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'm not sure how much help this will be, as it requires (a) Python then (b) downloading & installing kovid's libprs500 source first, but I'm using a Python script to scan my eBook-folders, parsing my filenames (formated "<author> - [<series> -] <title>.lrf") and set the Author & Title meta-data using the values in the file spec.

e.g. With a file named "Moon, Elizabeth - Paksenarrion 01 - Sheepfarmer's Daughter.lrf", it sets the Author to "Moon, Elizabeth" and the title to "Sheepfarmer's Daughter".

It's a few hoops to jump through to setup the environment if you're not already using python, so might not be worth it for you - I don't know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lrfedit.zip (575 Bytes, 498 views)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'm not sure how much help this will be, as it requires (a) Python then (b) downloading & installing kovid's libprs500 source first, but I'm using a Python script to scan my eBook-folders, parsing my filenames (formated "<author> - [<series> -] <title>.lrf") and set the Author & Title meta-data using the values in the file spec.

e.g. With a file named "Moon, Elizabeth - Paksenarrion 01 - Sheepfarmer's Daughter.lrf", it sets the Author to "Moon, Elizabeth" and the title to "Sheepfarmer's Daughter".

It's a few hoops to jump through to setup the environment if you're not already using python, so might not be worth it for you - I don't know.
Thanks for your help again
Old 02-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
shousa
Groupie

It turns out on the 505 that
1) the "author sort" field on libprs500 is not used (only for libprs500 GUI)
2) author data changed using lrf-meta is not used if using libprs500 to put the ebooks on so ignore using it.
3) the ONLY author data picked up is just "author" in libprs500 (the first field).

So if you want the order to be on "J" the field should be "Julius Caesar" (using a space), if you want the order to be on "C" it should be "Caesar Julius" on the 505.

So the best for me seems to be (on GUI for libprs500) author = "Caesar Julius" and author sort = "Caesar Julius".

I searched but could not find this info on this forum anywhere so I hope it is useful.

Last edited by shousa; 02-13-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
> 1) the "author sort" field on libprs500 is not used (only for libprs500 GUI)

That's a bit odd, as surely there's some reason for having the two fields in the first place?

> 2) author data changed using lrf-meta is not used if using libprs500 to put the ebooks on so ignore using it.

Remember libprs500 stores it's lrf 'files' internally, so I expect you'd need to re-import the modified file before writing it out to the device?

(My problem is that my corporate laptop has a locked down version of McAfee that results in libprs500's USB scan taking 100% cpu for minutes at a time, so I've gone back to just copying the file directly to the USB device and using the Sony Connect software if I want to setup collections. What's really annoying is that in practice, McAffe's been useless & failed to detect a real virus [Skype virus], so I'm also running AVG, as that did!)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
> 1) the "author sort" field on libprs500 is not used (only for libprs500 GUI)

That's a bit odd, as surely there's some reason for having the two fields in the first place?

> 2) author data changed using lrf-meta is not used if using libprs500 to put the ebooks on so ignore using it.

Remember libprs500 stores it's lrf 'files' internally, so I expect you'd need to re-import the modified file before writing it out to the device?
For the first question it seems it is used so you can sort the authors in libprs500's GUI which is a great function but I was pointing out it seems not used for the 505 itself.

For the second question I found that even if you use lrf-meta and then re-import (I did this with over 50 ebooks) the effect was NIL (boo hoo - I wasted a few hours). This is because libprs500 picked up the author field in my case and shoved that to the 505 regardless - this is a GREAT feature of libprs500! Makes everything easy.

if you put the ebooks across yourself then I imagine lrf-meta must work.

Does that all make sense?

For virus checking you may wish to use Clamwin which is free.

Last edited by shousa; 02-14-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
keith
Enthusiast
keith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It's also worth noting that if you want the author name on the reader to be Lastname, Firstname then a comma cannot be used in the author field in Libprs500 as the program interprets this as being two authors and the name transferred to the reader is truncated to lastname. Either a space as in Shousa's Ceaser Julius example or a semi colon could be used.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote