Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
What to do about a lost or stolen Fire.

So my eighth-grader gets home today and realizes that her Kindle Fire didn't make it home from school. The last time she can remember having it was right before lunch. We immediately returned to the school and commenced the search. It didn't turn up.

What steps can I take? I thought that I would be able to go to Amazon's website and report it stolen, but the only advice they offer is to deregister it. I'm hesitant to deregister, because at least I can, sort of, monitor it. I changed the name of the device to 'This Kindle was stolen from S*** A***'

The school is aware that it is missing and they have the serial # to check any suspect devices, but they also seem pretty unconcerned. I'm going to wait until school gets out tomorrow before I go to the police department and report it stolen.

Anyone got any advice?
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I would definitely call Amazon. Since the Fire is serialized they may have a way to remote wipe it. It's at least worth a shot.

Did you happen to buy a Square Trade warranty? I remember reading on Amazon where a guy dropped his Fire in a lake and Square Trade replaced it.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3747PY..._res_rtr_alt_7

I believe there are still some honest people in the world and hopefully someone has found it and will turn it in.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-17-2012 at 08:02 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
If you had any apps that you stored or used passwords for (email, etc.) you may need to change them.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Tangiegirl
Tangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Make sure when contacting amazon, you speak or chat with a Kindle CS Rep. Not just an Amazon Rep. It does make a difference. url can be found at the end of this post. You answer a few questions and then choose a contact option.

Chat works fine but I prefer the "Call Me" option. You will usually get a call from a Kindle CSR within one to two minutes of your request

With the fire, Amazon has been offering a replacement fire@ a $100 discount.

I know of two instances just today verifying that. One was stolen and one was misplaced/lost. Both were offered a replacement fire at the $100 discount.

I can't see your post details at the moment, but first deregister your fire. (Be aware that with the fire, once you degister, you lose all your content and you won't get it back even if you do recover and reregister it.)

You can deregister from any computer. Log in and go to manage my devices, click on your stolen device and click deregister. This prevents charges being run on the cc attached to your Amazon account.

Contact KCS and they will brick it. Unfortunately, bricking only stops
reregistration and Amazon purchases. Content can still be obtained from all sources, other than Amazon.

It is my understanding that Amazon can only help with tracking if they have a copy of the police report. And I'm unsure of how much help will be given even then. But it wouldn't hurt to ask for specifics.

I do hope your daughter recovers her fire. I know I'd be lost without mine!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...ndle-help.html

Last edited by Tangiegirl; 02-17-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Additional information
Tangiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Probably too late, but there is a program in the app store called "locate my kindle" and I think it would be possible to load it remotely via pc account, but I believe it requires the user to register from the device.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
The app avast! Mobile Security also has an anti-theft/recovery feature

http://www.amazon.com/AVAST-Software...9555322&sr=1-1
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
The app avast! Mobile Security also has an anti-theft/recovery feature

http://www.amazon.com/AVAST-Software...9555322&sr=1-1
Thank you for the suggestion, but most of the anti-theft features appear to non-applicable to the Fire. That, plus the number of bad reviews, combined with my past experience with Avast! products makes me very leery of it.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
RolandD
Fanatic

Update

Filed a police report yesterday. The officer was very helpful and was surprisingly upbeat about the possibility of recovery. He did say that he wished that we had come in on Thursday and reported it, so that he could have gone to the school on Friday and began questioning kids. I thought we'd give it a day to turn up, but maybe that was a mistake. On Friday, my daughter and the school counselor came up with a couple of leads, so the officer is going into the school on Monday to follow up on those.

I haven't yet deregistered it from her account, but I did finally figure out how to delete my credit card info from the account.

I also told the school counselor to let it be known that I would pay a $25 reward for it's safe return.

Now it's just a waiting game. I had originally felt that we would never see it again, but the officer reminded me that kids are really stupid when it comes to stuff like this and so I have a little hope now, at least.

Last edited by RolandD; 02-18-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
RolandD
Fanatic

Good news

My daughter's Fire was successfully recovered by the police. Unfortunately, the the case I had made for it is gone.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Glad you got it back!
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Wow, kudos to the police department where you live. That is just amazing police work. Most cities now won't even bother to take police reports on ANY minor crime.
Or did someone just turn it in?
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
My daughter's Fire was successfully recovered by the police. Unfortunately, the the case I had made for it is gone.
Great news. So glad to hear it.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
I'm glad to hear they were able to recover it for you. Now it is time for you to re-cover it! Lame, I know.... Seriously, that is amazing that they got it so quickly!
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote