Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Thanks to all for helping and thanks for your suggestions. I really do appreciate your posts and your time.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Ahhh... Here's a good example I just found... 99 cents
A Princess of Mars
Why would you pay for it when you can download the entire "Barsoom Omnibus" free right here at MR?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I believe Feedbooks has a lot of Murray Leinster's work available free - and I would think that would meet your requirements.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Ahhh... Here's a good example I just found... 99 cents
A Princess of Mars
There are several omnibus volumes of Edgar Rice Burroughs's works here in the MR library for free.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I would think that most of the YA books (they used to call them "Juvenals") from the '50s would fit well. What agenda they typically had was pretty much the same as the '50s Superman's tagline, "Truth, Freedom, and the American Way". Something like Murray Leinster's "Space Tug" (http://www.manybooks.net/titles/lein...871918719.html).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you pay for it when you can download the entire "Barsoom Omnibus" free right here at MR?
Because I feel bad reading for free and I want to support Amazon????

or perhaps because I missed Burroughs somehow in the libs... (Guess I'd better peruse the libs again!)

Thanks for the heads-ups.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
1611mac
eWanderer

Thanks again all.... You've all been a great help.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
You know, it occurs to me that for the second time today James White's Sector General books would be a fitting recommendation. Google for Sector General epub and-- well-- you'll find places to get them all for free, but if you are inclined to buy a few, here's a set of three books for ten bucks:

http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_di...asp?IID=597371
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #24
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
You know, it occurs to me that for the second time today James White's Sector General books would be a fitting recommendation. Google for Sector General epub and-- well-- you'll find places to get them all for free, but if you are inclined to buy a few, here's a set of three books for ten bucks:

http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_di...asp?IID=597371
I just googled "Sector General epub" and was returned this thread as 4th entry - gotta love it...

(thanks for the suggestion - obviously am checking it out)
Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
I don't recall where I found it but I picked up Space Prison for free. Typical 50's long on revenge short on actual character building. Kind of fun but really limited. It's hard to flesh out a character when you take away the dirty parts of being human.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #26
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm having trouble with the premise of the OP. The whole POINT of science Fiction and Fantasy (Speculative fiction in general) is to free us from what is 'possible' and what is 'approved' so we can consider the impossible and the unapproved. To take an idea and extend the trend it represents to its ultimate conclusion regardless of how comfortable it makes us.

To me, it sounds as if the OP wants some stories of substance with ray-guns and spaceships, but no Amazon women wearing armored Lingerie.

I consider myself a Christian and a conservative so I think I understand how hard it is to remain true to your faith and beliefs in this culture. But I think the OP is asking for the impossible. Ultimately, all beliefs must be tested repeatedly. And Science Fiction is good for that.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #27
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm having trouble with the premise of the OP. The whole POINT of science Fiction and Fantasy (Speculative fiction in general) is to free us from what is 'possible' and what is 'approved' so we can consider the impossible and the unapproved. To take an idea and extend the trend it represents to its ultimate conclusion regardless of how comfortable it makes us.

To me, it sounds as if the OP wants some stories of substance with ray-guns and spaceships, but no Amazon women wearing armored Lingerie.

I consider myself a Christian and a conservative so I think I understand how hard it is to remain true to your faith and beliefs in this culture. But I think the OP is asking for the impossible. Ultimately, all beliefs must be tested repeatedly. And Science Fiction is good for that.
I'm looking for suggestions, not an analysis of my "premise." Many fine suggestions have been given.. Thanks to those who did.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #28
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm not looking for Christian SF. Just fun reads like (using Heinlein for example) "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress," "Starship Troopers", "Glory Road", "Have Spaceship, Will Travel" etc. There may have been some suggestive dialog at times but nothing like you read today!
When I read your initial request, the first thing I thought was "Wow, I hope he stayed FAR away from Heinlein!" Everything you listed as "don'ts" are spot-on Heinlein, so it's hilarious that you listed him as an example of what you're looking for. But that also makes it confusing and difficult to recommend anything because what you want doesn't match up to what you've asked for. But if you've enjoyed Heinlein in the past, it sounds like you may like Heinlein's juvee novels.

(As an aside, I'm trying Have Spacesuit, Will Travel right now, and I have to admit that I find the dialog... unbelievable. "Gee golly whiz! That guy's scary!" Ack. People don't talk like that.)

I'd also recommend pretty much anything by Asimov as 1950s sci-fi that's good clean fun. I can't promise no agenda, as that is rather the point of speculative fiction. Start with the Foundation series and move on from there.

And come to think of it, Mike Resnick has some good stories out there, specifically the Penelope Bailey series.

Last edited by queentess; 04-30-2011 at 11:01 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #29
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ooo! And Clarke! Rendezvous with Rama, Childhood's End, 2001.

You should check out the Science Fiction Hall of Fame reading lists for Space Opera and Golden Age of SF. I think you'd find a lot you like there.

Ender's Game (probably the whole series) by Card

Last edited by queentess; 04-30-2011 at 11:05 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #30
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
(As an aside, I'm trying Have Spacesuit, Will Travel right now, and I have to admit that I find the dialog... unbelievable. "Gee golly whiz! That guy's scary!" Ack. People don't talk like that.)
"I wish we lived in a place more like the America of yesteryear that only exists in the brains of us Republicans."
–Ned Flanders
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote