When I bring up Calibre I get the following error:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(2, 'No such file or directory')

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 56, in run

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 212, in _books

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 115, in books

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'I:\\database/cache/media.xml'

I have PRS+ installed on my PRS-505. I can't remember if I've used Caibre since I've installed it. I upgraded to Calibre's latest version but still have the same problem. I can't access books in calibre with or without my SD card. My reader works perfect otherwise.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler View Post

I have PRS+ installed on my PRS-505. I can't remember if I've used Caibre since I've installed it. I upgraded to Calibre's latest version but still have the same problem. I can't access books in calibre with or without my SD card. My reader works perfect otherwise.
You never stated if that file exists?

I use PRS+ and PRS+ is not a problem when using Calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast
TimeTraveler doesn't litterTimeTraveler doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 PRS-650,Asus Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You never stated if that file exists?

I use PRS+ and PRS+ is not a problem when using Calibre.
I hate to sound stupid but what file am I looking for and is it suppose to be on my reader or SD card?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
I hate to sound stupid but what file am I looking for and is it suppose to be on my reader or SD card?
It's not stupid. The file it said is missing should be located on your reader in the labeled directory listed above. I believe this file is updated by the Sony reader every time you disconnect your reader from the USB connection or anytime you reset your device via the little hole in the back.

If the file is there you might want to delete it before you disconnect and let it be rebuilt by the reader. This will cause you to lose all bookmarks and history.

I just deleted my media.xml, disconnected and let it rebuild. I didn't want to suggest something that will end up causing you grief without trying it first. Just for the record my internal memory has about 90 megs free and I'm using PRS+ v1.02.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-12-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's not stupid. The file it said is missing should be located on your reader in the labeled directory listed above. I believe this file is updated by the Sony reader every time you disconnect your reader from the USB connection or anytime you reset your device via the little hole in the back.

If the file is there you might want to delete it before you disconnect and let it be rebuilt by the reader. This will cause you to lose all bookmarks and history.

I just deleted my media.xml, disconnected and let it rebuild. I didn't want to suggest something that will end up causing you grief without trying it first. Just for the record my internal memory has about 90 megs free and I'm using PRS+ v1.02.
I have 8 media xml files. Each one is named media_(and a 13 digit number here). Example media_1234567898765.

Thanks for your help. By the way I love your optical illusions.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I have 8 media xml files. Each one is named media_(and a 13 digit number here). Example media_1234567898765.

Thanks for your help. By the way I love your optical illusions.
What version of Calibre and PRS+ are you using?

I would backup the files to a directory on your hard drive. Then delete all of the files and let your reader recreate the media.xml file. After the reader is up and running reconnect and see if the media.xml file has numbers attached.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast

Quote:
What version of Calibre and PRS+ are you using?

I would backup the files to a directory on your hard drive. Then delete all of the files and let your reader recreate the media.xml file. After the reader is up and running reconnect and see if the media.xml file has numbers attached.
I'm using Version 1.02 of PRS+ and the latest version of Calibre.

I saved all the media.xml files except 2. They were 0 KB and windows 7 says they are corrupted and can't be moved, deleted or renamed. When I disconnect and reconnect my USB cable it re-writes another media.xml file with the numbers. After moving all the 40 KB media.xms files I had left only the 2 corrupted 0 KB files. But after adding and removing the USB cable I have added several more media.xml files with the numbers that are 40 KB.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It sounds as if you need to get Windows to do a check/repair of the PRS-505 file system. You should not have had any problem removing the media.xml files if the file system is not corrupt in some way.

An alternative (and more reliable) solution is to reformat the media from the PRS-505 itself - but that will cause all existing content to be lost and need relaoding.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It sounds as if you need to get Windows to do a check/repair of the PRS-505 file system. You should not have had any problem removing the media.xml files if the file system is not corrupt in some way.

An alternative (and more reliable) solution is to reformat the media from the PRS-505 itself - but that will cause all existing content to be lost and need relaoding.
I let Windows do a repair and deleted the files. I had to do a reset 10 times to get the reader to start up. Now everything is working fine. I only have one media.xml file without the numbers. I was scared before that Windows would try to fix a file that didn't need fixing.

Many thanks dwanthny and itimpi for all your help.