Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
samn9
samn9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3's keep breaking

I bought a Kindle 3 last October and the screen broke after a few weeks. Sent it back, got a new one and a case to protect the screen. Just over a month ago the same thing happened - screen freezes and gradually lines start appearing. I got a new one which worked fine for a few weeks, until the other day I noticed the screen had broken again in the same way.

I've dropped my iPhone many times on hard surfaces and it's barely been scratched, yet my Kindle has been handled with much more care and had its own case and it seems to fail anyway. Is this a common problem with Kindles or have I just been unlucky?

My 1 year warranty will probably run out in a couple of days so I'm worried it won't be replaced, or that if it is replaced, the next time something goes wrong I have no option but to buy a different brand of e-reader. Really not happy
samn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Both my K2 and K3 have been rock solid. Have to agree with PhillipA82, you are probably doing something wrong.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
What case are you using? When you go somewhere, where do you stow it?
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Get a leather case!
I'm a little clumsy and was afraid of breaking it so I got one.
Never had a scratch.
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Unlucky or a problem with Kindles in general are not the only two choices. Think really hard and you might come up with a third choice.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's most likely something in the way you are stowing it. Pressure on the screen; or anything that could slightly twist the unit, like putting in a bag stuffed with other heavy items, can easily break a Kindle. My husband broke his Kindle while it was in his briefcase.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
ErinLindsey
ErinLindsey began at the beginning.

Device: K-Fire, Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kobo, iPad3, iPad Mini, HTC Evo
What case is it?

Is it the Amazon non-lighted cover? There was a problem last year with the non-lighted covers. Causing screen freezes and random reboots. Dont think I heard of it causing screen breakage tho...mostly it was causing some sort of short that was making the Kindle malfunction.

Something to do with how the clips attached to the Kindle. The Amazon lighted covers use the same clips and the theory was that the non-lighted cover clips was causing a short or something.
ErinLindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Be more careful, get a case, and don't use it as a frisbee.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Get a wood or steel case.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem lies in your handling of the Kindle. I've been using eInk devices for some 6 years, and have never broken one. Screens do not spontaneously break.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The problem lies in your handling of the Kindle. I've been using eInk devices for some 6 years, and have never broken one. Screens do not spontaneously break.
I don't think you can say that with a 100% probability. It may be the most likely explanation, but just as there are tiny numbers of people who win huge prizes in lotteries, so there are people whom lightning strikes twice or who get defective goods more than average.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Seems odd that this poor OP, and LawLover here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154530 also has experienced screen issues.

Personally mine gets thrown about all over the place, and has been slept on, dropped off the bed and sofa and flown all around Asia with no damage - I guess it's just sods law.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I don't think you can say that with a 100% probability. It may be the most likely explanation, but just as there are tiny numbers of people who win huge prizes in lotteries, so there are people whom lightning strikes twice or who get defective goods more than average.
I am 100% certain that this is the explanation. I may, of course, be wrong .
Old 10-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #14
samn9
samn9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a leather case, it's the non-lighted cover from Amazon.

I did have it in a bag of books - I thought it would be built to handle that, especially with a case on. Oh well.
samn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn9 View Post
I did have it in a bag of books - I thought it would be built to handle that, especially with a case on. Oh well.
You need to understand that an eInk screen has a very thin layer of glass, called the "screen substrate", below the outer plastic screen. Any twisting force that's applied to the device will fracture this substrate. It's fine to keep it in a bag of books provided that you make sure that it's firmly sandwiched between two other sturdy books, so that nothing can press on it at an angle.