Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Why would it be any different, Mac OS X is a unix OS... you have full terminal access and tools, even checking for help uses standard commands for manuals etc, it's just that you don't normally need to sink to the bottom level to do things, they're all taken care of at a higher, more user friendly, level...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Bookworm_Girl: It's interesting that with the Mac OS the reader appears as a drive icon entitled "READER", as that's how it is with Linux too.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Oasis 6", Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, etc.
SONY, please read this

boxcorner, that sounds great! I actually use Windows (both XP and Vista -- which probably complicates file location issues), but it would be nice to have this stuff "documented" for all platforms, and it would be great to be able to back up annotations from either a Reader device or from any version of Reader Library.

Bookworm_Girl: Can you tell I'm slightly annoyed by Sony? Their tech support people in El Salvador seemed to think I was crazy to want to know how to restore annotations to an e-book reader. "After all, it's a reader," they told me. I don't understand what the mystery is -- hasn't backing up and restoring data been around since the dawn of the computer age? (And by the way, Sony, to back up Kindle notes, you simply copy the MBP file for your book, on either your device or your computer -- that's it!!) If they are going to give us the ability to make all kinds of highlights and notes, is it really so surprising that we are going to ask how to save this stuff? When I was on the phone with their tech support people and they were telling me it was impossible, I asked if they meant to tell me that if I replaced my Sony Reader with a new one I wouldn't be able to transfer my annotations to it, and they said "That's right." It's not right, and they need to teach their tech support people about this stuff, or at least put a FAQ online so that customers don't flame them. Sony, your tech support people can be in Antarctica for all I care, but please, make sure they know the products they are supporting.
diamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Kudos to you for remaining patient! It's a good thing there is MobileRead to help for the lack of Sony tech support. Sometimes you get can great help at customer support and sometimes not so great... As I mentioned previously, I use the sync collections feature within the Reader Library. It keeps the notes on my computer and my ereaders in sync. When I got my 950, I synced with the same collections that I was using with my old 900. All of my books and notes were transferred over via syncing to my 950. It was very easy.

When I had to reformat my 950 and reinstall Reader Library, I lost all of my annotations. I was lucky that I had a backup option. I actually connected my old 900 to my Mac via USB and extracted the .annot files and the <markup> text from the CacheExt file which I then copied over onto my 950. It restored my annotations!

So, the good news is that you can transfer your notes from one ereader to another by various methods that I have noted or vxf as noted as well. Some are easier than others. The bad news is that is sad that Sony support couldn't give you that same good feeling about their product!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #19
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Why would it be any different, Mac OS X is a unix OS ...
Thanks, I did know that once, but to be candid I've forgotten more than I care to admit, being part of the punched card and paper tape generation. Nevertheless, I didn't expect the drive name to be the same, to extent that it's even in upper case letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamante View Post
... I actually use Windows (both XP and Vista -- which probably complicates file location issues) ...
I still have XP Pro in a dual boot partition and also have access to Vista, so still can relate to Windows fairly well, if you or others care to provide any information for the PDF guide. Anyway, like Bookworm_Girl, I admire your positive attitude. It's always refreshing to encounter someone who approaches problems in a mature manner, with a touch of humour.

mornington recently supplied me with some helpful information about use of the reader with Windows, which I will incorporate into the PDF, but unfortunately it doesn't relate to the location of backed up files.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #20
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Question Where does Reader Library store annotations on a Windows Vista machine??

Bookworm_Girl, now you're making it sound easy! Maybe once I actually try it and see how easy it is, all of my (minor) frustration with Sony will evaporate.

My main issue right now is that I can't find the annotations files that Reader Library is saving on my computer, which is a Windows Vista machine. The klibrary folder has no subfolders, so they're definitely not there. A Windows search turns up nothing. Of course, Windows Vista has a way of making some files and folders inaccessible and/or difficult to find. I have a pretty good track record for figuring out what it's doing, but in this case I'm stumped. If anyone knows where Reader Library stores annotations on a Vista machine, please tell me.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #21
diamante
piedra preciosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
I still have XP Pro in a dual boot partition and also have access to Vista, so still can relate to Windows fairly well, if you or others care to provide any information for the PDF guide. Anyway, like Bookworm_Girl, I admire your positive attitude. It's always refreshing to encounter someone who approaches problems in a mature manner, with a touch of humour.
Thanks to you as well, boxcorner. I somehow missed seeing your latest post until after I'd sent my previous one. During a long period of immaturity I learned (1) that ranting and raving furiously rarely leads to the desired results, and (2) that new gadgets usually come with some learning curve, and chances are once I put in a little time I'll figure out how to do what I want to do. It would indeed be nice to get a PDF/FAQ together to make things easier for future Sony Reader users.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #22
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... The klibrary folder has no subfolders, so they're definitely not there ...
Are you sure they aren't in any hidden folders/subfolders?
Quote:
... It would indeed be nice to get a PDF/FAQ together to make things easier for future Sony Reader users.
Don't miss the sticky threads at the top of the Sony forum.

Last edited by boxcorner; 02-12-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Diamante, I have hundreds of books so I find the collections in Reader Library to be very helpful to keep them organized. The sync feature that keeps the collections on my computer and ereader to be automatically the same works easily for me. I just approach it like how I manage my music playlists in iTunes and then sync with my iPod. I seem to be one of the few people who likes the Reader Library software. Many people get headaches from the software. The syncing process creates duplicate books for them and a variety of other issues. I can't explain why it is so easy for my computer, but the Sony software seems to be very moody for some computer systems.

My current installation of Reader Library has no subfolders in kLibrary either. However, I know that I have notes somewhere on my computer because I can open books in the Reader Library software and see the notes. I can't figure out where "somewhere" is.

My file path is "....../Reader/Database/kLibrary". In the Database folder, I have several *.xdi files. My best guess is that the notes are stored within these xdi files.

The best option for me is to keep doing periodic backups of the folders on my ereader. At least you can see the individual *.annot files for each book on your ereader and can use those backup files to restore your annotations.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
diamante
piedra preciosa

boxcorner, my system is set to show all hidden and system files. That said, I believe that Vista still does try to keep some stuff out of reach. I think I am going to have to install Reader Library on an XP computer, make some sample annotations and see if I can figure out where they are stored. Then at least I'll have a better idea of what to look for.

Bookworm_Girl, yes, like you I have hundreds of e-books and think the Reader Library software is useful (and it seems to work fine on my computer). The file structure on your computer looks very similar to mine, even though if I recall correctly you are using a Mac. I wonder if the person who mentioned a "markup" folder containing *.annot files is using a different version of Reader Library. I want to get to the bottom of this.

Hold everything. Bookworm_Girl, I just reread your comments and took a closer look at the xdi files. Mine all looked too small to contain my notes, but I opened the file klibrary.xdb in Notepad (actually, I made a copy of it and opened that), and that's where my annotations are. Apparently they are all kept in one file. Now I'm getting someplace. My next step will be to see if I can use this file to transfer annotations for specific books to another computer. It may take me a while for me to try that, though. For right now, I'm just reveling in the feeling of finally having a clue!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #25
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

diamante, it's good hear that you're making progress. Once you've got this all figured out, if you would like to share the information then I'll add an FAQ section to my reader file structure guide PDA - as you suggested - and include "Where are backed up book notes stored?" as one of the questions. Suggestions for any questions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by boxcorner; 02-14-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #26
diamante
piedra preciosa

Unhappy

Well, I think my reveling was premature. I don't think the klibrary.xdb file is going to be useful for restoring annotations for specific books. I'm not sure what format the file is in, but I don't think it's designed to be edited in a text editor.

Also, the more I experiment with Sony Reader Library, the more I seem to fall into the category of people for whom it doesn't work properly. I thought if I set it to sync a specific folder with my Reader device I might get some usable annotations files, but I'm not sure what Sony's definition of "sync" is. I created a folder under my user name and added it as a "favorite" in Reader Library. I then connected my Reader and set it to sync that folder and nothing else. I assumed that doing that and then syncing would result in all the books on the reader being copied to the folder, but when I synced, nothing happened. Okay, so I apparently needed to place books in that folder for any syncing to happen. I did that and with a sync successfully transfered a few books to the Reader. I made some test annotations on the Reader and did another sync. The annotations showed up in Reader Library. Now for the bad stuff. Even though I have Reader Library set to merge annotations when syncing, when I added new annotations on the computer they were not transferred to the Reader; in fact, on every sync the newer annotations on the computer were erased. That's an unusual definition of "syncing." Immediately after each of these botched syncs, the first time I clicked on the synced folder in Reader Library, I got an error message that said something like "Invalid reference!" That can only be a bug, and I would guess that it has to do with Sony Library not fully supporting the Vista OS. Also, the annotations that were transferred from the Reader to Reader Library are apparently stored in the same place as other annotations, so I see no reason to have a separate sync folder. I deleted the folder. From now on I think I'll use Calibre to transfer e-books to the Reader and as I read them I'll use Reader Library to copy them over from the device (they'll automatically go into the klibrary folder) only so that I can view annotations on my computer, export them to RTF files and easily manage the collections that are on the Reader. Maybe there's something about my specific Vista setup that Reader Library doesn't like, but it's simply not working the way it's supposed to.

Backing up the files on the Reader device should enable me to restore annotations if necessary. Thanks, Bookwoom_Girl, for the pointers on how to do that. By the way, you mentioned that you use the sync collections feature -- are annotations that you make on your computer properly merged with those you make on your Reader? Maybe I should try it with collections instead of folders...

boxcorner, I'm afraid it doesn't look as though I'll be coming up with any authoritative information on Reader Library that would be worth putting in a FAQ.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The xdb is a database file of some sort so you probably need the correct database software to interface with it. It is probably communicating in some way with the xdi files which look to be index files.

Yes, you are correct. I sync collections. Within Reader Library, I have used the + sign in the lower-left corner to create collections to organize my ebooks stored on my hard-drive under the Library category. Then I plug in my ereader via USB so it shows up in Reader Library. I expand the drop-down box need to its name. Click on the sync tab and then select which collections that I want to sync. Then click the sync button. After that the process is automatic. It syncs on its own the next time you attach your ereader. But, you can always reopen the sync tab anytime and change which collections you want to sync.

Initially you have to setup your collections based on your hard-drive files, i.e. you see a list under the header Library in the Sony software. And when you want to add or delete files, you have to do it on the collections on your hard-drive files. Then you connect your ereader and it auto-syncs to match. You can't create collections on your ereader and then try to sync them back to your hard-drive.

I do have the "merge notes" option checked on, and it works like it should. I just did a simple test case to make sure. I opened a book on my hard-drive and added a highlight & note in Reader Library. (Tip: If you highlight text on your screen in the Sony software it doesn't actually create a note unless you right click the highlighted text and select "Create highlight". Otherwise it doesn't save the highlight.) Then I opened the same book on my 950 and made a new note there. Then I connected my ereader and Reader Library did a sync. After I disconnected, the book on my hard-drive now shows the note I made on my ereader and the book on my 950 now shows the note I made on my computer in the Sony software.

This merge note feature comes in handy because I have 2 Sony ereaders. Both are set-up to sync to the same collections in Reader Library. So I can make notes on one ereader and then after syncing both with my Mac, the notes will show up on the other ereader.

Hope that helps. When the Sony software works, it is pretty smooth. That's why some people like me use it rather than calibre. However, I appear to be in the minority of people who have good success with the Sony software. I'm sorry it doesn't appear to function as well on your computer, diamante. Thankfully there is calibre!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
For what it's worth, I successfully copied over the /Reader folder from a Vista to a W7 PC and it worked, bringing all my books and annotations over.
So, whatever the problem is, I don't think it has anything to do with Vista.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
diamante
piedra preciosa

Thanks for the tips, Bookworm_Girl!

I tried syncing collections, and that works. I'm not sure why annotations weren't traveling in both directions when I used the folder method, but anyway the collection method makes more sense for me. I should have read your posts more carefully the first time! I also tried deleting annotations on the Reader and then syncing, and deleted annotations were also removed in Reader Library.

I think I discovered why -- at least one reason why -- people get duplicate copies of books. Using Reader Library, I added two books that I've already read to a collection that I set to sync with my Reader. Both books were already on the device, and both were successfully added to the collection on the device. The difference was that Book 1 was a book whose annotations I had lost. I had re-copied it to the device from Reader Library to get the annotations back. Therefore, there was no dictionary log or reading history for that book on the device. After the sync, Book 1 appeared in the appropriate collection, and there was only one copy of it in the list of all books. Book 2 was a book that I had finished reading on the device after the loss of some annotations. Therefore, that book already had a reading history and dictionary log on the device. For this book, the synchronization used a new copy of the book to add it to a synchronized collection. After the sync, the copy in the collection on the device had the annotations but not the dictionary log, while the other copy still had the dictionary log. I decided to remove the book from the collection and keep the original copy on the Reader. Unfortunately, you cannot use a Reader to add or remove books to synchronized collections.

There's one other possible explanation for this behavior. I had installed Book 1 to the Reader using Reader Library, and the EPUB file was stored in the root media\books folder. I had used Calibre to install Book 2, and the original copy of that book was under media\books but in a subfolder with the author's name. I think it's unlikely that this is related to the problem of duplicate books, simply because the I think the developers of Calibre would have quickly realized that and modified how Calibre interacts with Sony Reader devices. In any case, I think I will use Reader Library to manage books on my Reader to avoid any possible conflicts.

Also, I think it's a good idea to decide on a basic organization for synchronized collections and stick to it rather than making a habit of moving synchronized books between collections.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Great, diamante! I'm glad you got it working for you!

Tags
annotations, ereader pdb conversion, notes, sony reader