Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

Universal Display as potential supplier of e-book displays

Here is an article from the Philadelphia Enquirer giving a quick overview of Universal Display Corp., another company on the forefront of display technology.

Quote:
After a dozen years of trial and error, a New Jersey company run by a couple of guys who live on the Main Line has emerged as a leading developer of technology that could improve cell phones, laptop computers and television sets.

Later, this technology could be used to illuminate homes and offices, using less energy.

Universal Display Corp. also has developed methods to display text and moving pictures on a durable flexible material that in the future could be rolled up in a pocket-size tube with a tiny radio receiver. This could change the way people read newspapers or give soldiers in battle up-to-the-minute maps and intelligence photographs.
While the article starts off rather empty, there are some more substantive facts included further on. These folks, while not having an e-product, nevertheless should be considered one of the possible e-book display device developers.

Related: Rollable color OLED prototype display

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 02-01-2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: prepared for frontpage
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Great find, Anchoku, I don't think I've heard much about OLEDs for a while (missed the Sony OLED TV thing entirely), and it's such an intriguing idea.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Bandito
Bandito began at the beginning.

I saw the Sony displays at CES and although they were in a slightly darkened area (I don't know how they'd fare in a well-lit room), they were stunningly beautiful and vivid. I was extremely impressed and excited by them. I can't wait for them to begin shipping in various products so that we can use and enjoy them.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
OLEDs always seemed like something from Star Trek -- great product that will never make it to market. I'm glad to see that I may have been wrong.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

OLED displays are being test marketed in a few, relatively expensive, hand-held devices with short product design life and are a lot further than they were just a few years ago. Several very large corporations have been installing manufacturing lines of late but, even though the mother glass size (Gen 4) is capable of making a cost-efficient number of A4-size displays, there are still technical issues preventing them from being made in that size with acceptable performance, yield, and cost. LCDs, last I estimated, had over US$100B in prior and current factory investment world-wide. It's hard for OLED displays to get performance and yield up while pushing cost down so quickly.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert