Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Asked if he still reads books on paper, Jeff Bezos says: "Not if I can help it."

Newsweek reporter: Do you still read books on paper?

Amazong CEO Jeff Bezos: Not if I can help it.

Edward Tenner, a very astute observer of the cultural and technology scenes, gives his take on all this, and more, in a recent Atlantic Monthly online blogpost worth reading.

http://correspondents.theatlantic.co...ndle_print.php

Competition from electronic displays may benefit printed books by provoking new attention to their distinctive features, as the children's book renaissance shows; I'll have more to say about that in a later post. And if Amazon continues to lose interest in print, there might be opportunities for the independent bookstores that have survived online competition, chains, and discounters. As for the printed book's death watch, I can only repeat the conclusion of Mr. Bezos' interview: "Not if I can help it."

It's a good think piece about the future of books on paper and on screens, and Tenner looks at both with an open mind. He even mentions, briefly, the recent Hitler ebook rant meme that Alan Kaufman unfortunately started, and that Steve Jordan posted on here at MR, with a huge outpouring of anger at Kaufman here.

Last edited by taglines; 12-29-2009 at 07:51 AM.
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, e-readers