Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/Glo
Strange behavior with embedded fonts

I've embedded a font (UniFrakturCook) in two ebooks with Jutoh.

Everything is fine, exept on the Kobo. Some letters, the large S and the small g are looking very strange or are invisible.

Several people have tested these books. No problem on other devices, but always on Kobos. Similar problems were reported for other embedded fonts. With the same letters S and g! And some others.

The font works well with other readers and with other software.

Must be a really strange bug in the Kobo firmware.

The books are from Klabund. "Romane der Leidenschaft" and "Kleine Literaturgeschichte in einer Stunde". Both uploaded in Mobileread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klabund-Fehler.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	103317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Klabund_auf_meinem_Kobo_Glo.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	103318  
Rainer Zenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
This looks a bit like a problem I had when I added too much weight to a font--see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=56.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Zenz View Post
I've embedded a font (UniFrakturCook) in two ebooks with Jutoh.

Everything is fine, exept on the Kobo. Some letters, the large S and the small g are looking very strange or are invisible.

Several people have tested these books. No problem on other devices, but always on Kobos. Similar problems were reported for other embedded fonts. With the same letters S and g! And some others.

The font works well with other readers and with other software.

Must be a really strange bug in the Kobo firmware.
I took a quick look at the book and the copy of the Fraktur font in it was rather different from the one I had picked up a while back. Was it from the UniFraktur source forge project by any chance? It appears to be a version that was originally book weight that had been modified to bold weight. I tried replacing it with UniFrakturCook-Bold.ttf renamed to UniFrakturCook.ttf to save having to make other changes and the text in the book appeared to show correctly on my Glo. I've attached the modified book to this message. You can use 7-Zip or other tool to extract the font from it or locate it on the web as you choose.

As ShellShock mentioned, there have been reports of embedded and copied to the device fonts that had been modified causing some odd display issues.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: epub Klabund-Romane der Leidenschaft_mod.epub (1.56 MB, 127 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 03-22-2013 at 05:37 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a lot.

I'll check it will embed the font again.

I used the latest version from Sourceforge (UnifrakturCook.2012-07-21). What's your version?

Last edited by Rainer Zenz; 03-24-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

I'll check it will embed the font again.

I used the latest version from Sourceforge (UnifrakturCook.2012-07-21). What's your version?
I grabbed it from the Google web font site. I think it is 2011-09-01 version. You can open the epub I attached with 7Zip or similar and extract the font file if you so desire. Mostly what I noticed is the -Bold version I downloaded seems to have the same weight as the non-bold in your epub. But then since Fraktur is a blacktype font, it's hard to tell the difference.

Regards,
David
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Rainer Zenz
Groupie

I've replaced the font with your one and everything ist fine!

Thanks again
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I've replaced the font with your one and everything ist fine!

Thanks again
Good to hear that it's working for you.

Regards,
David