Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you mark (annotate) your ebooks? (notes, bookmarks, etc)
Never 71 53.79%
Sometimes 34 25.76%
Often 9 6.82%
Almost Always 7 5.30%
Yes, it's very important to me. 11 8.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #31
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Do you have a twin sister living in Australia?
I once made the mistake of lending a book to someone who did exactly that. I was in shock when she returned it in 2 pieces, pages torn and with several chapters and half the cover missing. She seemed oblivious to my distress at the state of the book.
Fortunately I saw it on special a few days later and purchased another copy. I have never lent her a book (or anything else I wanted to see again) since that dreadful day.

Incredibly I still consider her a good friend.
A wise man once tole me... "Never loan a book expecting to get it back, just consider it given away."

That attitude is one I live by and has saved me much frustration.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #32
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
At the moment I've been struggling with reading on my iPad, because I like to clip quotes from fiction, and I also like to annotate nonfiction. I haven't settled on one reading app because this is a weakness of all of them, especially since most of my books are library books.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #33
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
At the moment I've been struggling with reading on my iPad, because I like to clip quotes from fiction, and I also like to annotate nonfiction. I haven't settled on one reading app because this is a weakness of all of them, especially since most of my books are library books.
I finally found something that works for me (with public domain books downloaded from many free sources). So now I'm able to maintain a working system between my Mac and iPad. (let me know if you want info)

You are right. I am amazed that more people don't want to annotate books. I do a lot of research and need to find stuff quickly in my books.

I can't believe this feature is so over looked by developers. I would pay a good price for a good reader with superb note taking features, if those features were "synced" between my devices.

Last edited by 1611mac; 04-20-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I highlight more then take notes. If I was still in school I would be taking notes.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #35
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I consider it one of the great advantages of my Sony that I can highlight text and make notes, and this is one of the reasons my first choice for format of any book is an ebook. I never mark up paper books.
Interesting. I do the reverse. I mark passages in physical books, but find no need to in the ebooks as I can search for passages.

on a related note - i really can't understand why kobo and kindle would think it was important to see what passages others have highlighted. It is so personal and unique to each person - how could it possibly be meaningful to see what strangers highlight?

Last edited by Victoria; 04-21-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #36
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Interesting. I do the reverse. I mark passages in physical books, but find no need to in the ebooks as I can search for passages.
You must not be old like me... I can't remember what passages are in what book so I don't even know what to search for. It's more like... "OK, what was in this book that I need to know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
on a related note - i really can't understand why kobo and kindle would think it was important to see what passages others have highlighted. It is so personal and unique to each person - how could it possibly be meaningful to see what strangers highlight?
Ain't that the truth!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #37
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
School text books all the time, it saved time when I had to revise later on, then again I never sold my used text books even after the semester was finished.

Non-academic related books never and I don't have such an option with my Sony. I hate getting a book from the library only to find it has been marked, the same goes for my personal collection.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #38
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I always bookmark the last page I read, so that I can get back there easily later on. But that's all I do
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #39
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
@Quexos - The Sony 650 automatically opens a book at the last page it was open on. (I think most ereaders do that.)

To the original question: Not the below refers to fiction; I'm not a great non-fiction reader in general.

I mark lines I really like. It's one of the nice things about ebooks that I can do that without feeling I'm damaging the book.

I also mark typos or other mistakes if I'm planning to fix them (on books I expect to re-read, or I volunteered to proofread).
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #40
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
You must not be old like me... I can't remember what passages are in what book so I don't even know what to search for.
I'm getting pretty long in the tooth myself.....I search while I'm still reading the book - "who is Mr. Smith again?".... perfect for keeping minor characters straight.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Absolutely. In fact I chose the last option because the poll also asks about bookmarks and I use this at least all the time to be sure that I don't lose my place.

I know eReaders are made to remember your place, but I don't really trust this - and I tend to flick to different books from time to time.

I'm surprised so many people have said they never do any of this. Or maybe the title of the poll confused things? I wouldn't usually annotate or mark a physical book for example.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #42
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
-snip- Or maybe the title of the poll confused things? I wouldn't usually annotate or mark a physical book for example.

Regards
Caleb
The title of the forum defines the topic: E-Book General - General Discussions. It does not say "Paper Books - General" -
Old 04-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #43
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
That's one of the things I find very nice about ebooks - I can mark them without damaging them. I can highlight passages I like or want to return to. I can keep track of running themes or character traits and words I want to steal for my own vocabulary.

Paper books? Never.
Exactly my thoughts. I highlight my favorite passages all the time, so I can go back to them later if I feel like it. Never would have done that with a physical book.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #44
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
The title of the forum defines the topic: E-Book General - General Discussions. It does not say "Paper Books - General" -
True - and yet over 50% of respondents never even use the bookmarking feature of their eReader. Just seemed a little unusual, which was why I asked.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #45
1611mac
eWanderer

see my post HERE for my "dream" markup and study system