Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I never understood why they went CDMA in the first place - they were going to have to produce a GSM version eventually so why not start with GSM?
I assume they went to all the carriers and got the best deal with Sprint, who use CDMA (as does Verizon iirc).

Considering that they started selling Kindles in November 2007, they probably didn't know for sure how the international aspect was going to shake out at first. Or maybe they knew (gambled?) ahead of time that switching to GSM would be quick, though I for one assumed it would take more than a week....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #17
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
All Amazon did, was get is get rid of the Sprint Kindle, and have the AT&T one take it's place.
Mm hum. Again, they're making a big fuss about the price point, evidently it means something them them.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #18
dprior
dprior began at the beginning.

Device: none
No Browser Now?

I read this morning that the international kindles have the web browser disabled. So if the international version is all that is available, then I guess refurb is the only way to go if you want the web browser, correct?

I'm not *yet* a kindle owner (seriously considering, it, but waiting on the nook reviews), but it's my understanding that the web browser is very useful when trying to load your kindle with free, public-domain books.
dprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprior View Post
I read this morning that the international kindles have the web browser disabled. So if the international version is all that is available, then I guess refurb is the only way to go if you want the web browser, correct?

I'm not *yet* a kindle owner (seriously considering, it, but waiting on the nook reviews), but it's my understanding that the web browser is very useful when trying to load your kindle with free, public-domain books.
You really don't need the web browser at all with your K. You can download the free books (or books from Amazon) to your computer, then upload them to your Kindle using the usb cord.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

I don't think so. I'll know for sure in a few days though. I have ordered one for a gift that will be coming here first and I plan on putting it through all its paces
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #21
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
The browser is not disabled but you are only allowed to browse en.m.wikipedia.org. Probably amazon.com should be ok too but I have not tried that.

I believe that it is not disabled in the unit to allow for different rules in different countries and possibly to be able to enable it later on when Amazon may get better deals with at&t or such.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd still go for a nook if I had to choose, what about you?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:17 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, not correct. The international Kindle has the web browser, but, dependent on your location, where it will let you "visit" varies. For example, here in the UK it will only work with Wikipedia and the Amazon eBook store. In the US, it's fully functional. It depends what data roaming agreements Amazon have in the various countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, not correct. The international Kindle has the web browser, but, dependent on your location, where it will let you "visit" varies. For example, here in the UK it will only work with Wikipedia and the Amazon eBook store. In the US, it's fully functional. It depends what data roaming agreements Amazon have in the various countries.
Did you get your kindle already? I must have missed that...

Where there any unforseen costs?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Did you get your kindle already? I must have missed that...

Where there any unforseen costs?
Yes, I got it yesterday (it was actually delivered on Wednesday, but I was away at the time). No unexpected costs - in fact I got a $20 refund over the original price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, so that extra you pay does pay for everything, including taxes and such.

Good to know!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Ok, so that extra you pay does pay for everything, including taxes and such.

Good to know!
I had to pay VAT and fees directly to the carrier (DHL), plus I paid Amazon a import fess deposit, which I will now ned to have re-imbursed. I've contacted Amazon, but it will atke them a few days to find out what to do. I even ended up paying about 40 USD more than the deposit at Amazon, but that would be due to teh fees DHL charges. I'm a little pi**** because they could also have used UPS, which charges a lower fee, and right now I'm out 90 USD extra (the deposit at Amazon - not the fee, that's about 15).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
Belynda
Belynda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I had to pay VAT and fees directly to the carrier (DHL), plus I paid Amazon a import fess deposit, which I will now ned to have re-imbursed. I've contacted Amazon, but it will atke them a few days to find out what to do. I even ended up paying about 40 USD more than the deposit at Amazon, but that would be due to teh fees DHL charges. I'm a little pi**** because they could also have used UPS, which charges a lower fee, and right now I'm out 90 USD extra (the deposit at Amazon - not the fee, that's about 15).
How strange!! I paid Amazon the deposit of around 50 dollars for import and I had nothing else to pay???
Belynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belynda View Post
How strange!! I paid Amazon the deposit of around 50 dollars for import and I had nothing else to pay???
And where do you live (what country, that is)?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, not correct. The international Kindle has the web browser, but, dependent on your location, where it will let you "visit" varies. For example, here in the UK it will only work with Wikipedia and the Amazon eBook store.
Well, Wikipedia and Kindle store are actually separate features from the "web browser". Can you d/l stuff from MR if you put the MR Mobi ebook list on the device?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote