Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
qkjb
qkjb began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Hi Georg3200

the link is

http://wn.com/Replacing_The_Sony_Por...RS-505_Battery

I Googled for a replacement battery and found a number of sites selling them for a variety of prices including the guy who made this video and he includes the tools you need. Not sure which country you are in but he is happy to send it from the States to the UK. I managed with the usual mini screw drivers and being careful. It worked for me. Good luck!

The PRS 600 is much easier to do but then wouldn't it just be our luck to have the 505!
qkjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
qkjb

PS. The video maker's address on on the web page link but for ease of reference it is

NewPower99.com
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 AM   #18
georg3200
Connoisseur
georg3200 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi qkjb,
thanks for your help, but my problems are gettings worse. Now I screwed up a second prs 505 (the one I have in my company). We produce epubs and check them on the sony and the ipad. Same error... battery almost empty... shuts down

I used in both cases an external adaptor from AC to USB to charge them. I think they had to much power? The one I used in the company had 1A of Current. I never had problems like this with an external charger.

Next thing is: I cannot see the video, because it is not allowed in my country :-(

BTW: I'm from germany
georg3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 AM   #19
qkjb

Hi georg3200,

Sorry to hear this. Can you see youtube videos in Germany? The guy posted it on there as well and I can send you that url also. If not, I have downloaded the video so if we can work out how to do private messages via the forum, and if I am not breaking any international rules, I can send you the video as an email attachment. Did you use the Sony charger or another one?
I won't have the chance to reply until later today as I will be out just so you don't think I am ignoring you.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
georg3200
Connoisseur

Hi qkjb, thanks for you help,

The youtube thing is a problem with the country-settings. Some videos are not availabe in germany (or other countries) for some reasons. So a link to a german upload of the video would help me a lot.
Sending it per mail would be great. Can I send you my mail-adresse?

First of all I charged the (first) device on a USB-jack of my PC. Because I knew, that this takes a long time, I removed it and pluged it in a wall-mounted charger from Trekstor. It convert the 240V to a 5V USB jack like this:
http://www.amazon.de/Trekstor-220V-N...7941461&sr=8-2

After one night I unplugged it, it rebooted and it said "battery almost empty". then it shutted down... I charged it again... same game...

The second device was charged with a plug from an iPad. AC to USB: 5V / 1A.

The fact that both devices have this problem make me believe that:
1. the device has problems with charging per USB (with a wall-mounted charger)
2. maybe, its not the battery that is damaged, but some (charging) electronic inside

What I tried yesterday was this: I got a PSP-charger from a friend. Everyone says PSP-charger work, so it is worth a try.
While charging it via PSP-charger I can use it for reading books.
I will see what it is going on when I return home this evening. I started charging it yesterday evening and I did not unplug it since....
If this doesn't-help I'll order a new battery and try to replace it.

edit:
I think the youtube - country - setting thing is for music-videos that are not yet published in europe/germany.

Last edited by georg3200; 02-17-2011 at 06:37 AM. Reason: short addtion of text
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #21
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Do you mean your AC wall PSU is plugging into the USB socket??? The 505 has a proper PSU socket (barrel connector) to use and doesn't usually work with USB PSUs only USB on PSU as it requires corret conditions on Data lines, in fact USB PSUs usually cause the battery to totally discharge and can cause permanent failure. You should use something like a PSP PSU - 5V on barrel connector (as you describe in post above). Current is irrelevant, devices take what they need, it isn't all pushed down to them... my 505 is recharged by a 5V 2A PSU with correct barrel connector... and it's only three and half years (or so) old and used everyday.

There are many threads on the forum concerning PSU usage which will confirm this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georg3200 View Post
Hi qkjb,
thanks for your help, but my problems are gettings worse. Now I screwed up a second prs 505 (the one I have in my company). We produce epubs and check them on the sony and the ipad. Same error... battery almost empty... shuts down

I used in both cases an external adaptor from AC to USB to charge them. I think they had to much power? The one I used in the company had 1A of Current. I never had problems like this with an external charger.

Next thing is: I cannot see the video, because it is not allowed in my country :-(

BTW: I'm from germany
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #22
qkjb

Hi Georg3200,

I have sent you the video by email and I hope it works. If not then you could go to the web site of NewPower99.com. Do a search top left for sony prs and you will get info on the available batteries. Click on more info for the 505 battery and it should give you access to their posted video. Unless nothing for youtube can be seen in Germany of course!

Hope the PSP charger does the trick
Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #23
georg3200
Connoisseur

First of all, the PSP charger did the trick. Both devices are healthy again and work without problems. It is not even a Sony-charger, it is a cheap manufactured device from speedlink for around 9 Euros. So everything is ok

@qkjb: thanks again for the video. I understand that Youtube does not allow me to see the new Lady Gaga video, but it's a pity that I cannot see that video online

@elcreative: I normally use PSU (Power Supply Unit; is that correct?) to USB to charge all my devices. Mobile phones, mp3 player, navigations system.
I usually have one PSU 2 USB with me and 2 or 3 cables (USB2MiniUSB, USB2MicroUSB for my HTC HD mini, one prorietary for my samsung mp3 player). Never had problems. I know that some device need certain conditions in data lines. My old Motorola Rzr didn't charge that way, but I never had the problem that such a connection sucked a battery completely dry

Anyway everthing works and thanks to everyone
Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #24
qkjb

I am glad everything is now working properly for you.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #25
qkjb

And just one final post from me. I charged the battery up for near eight hours some days ago. I lasted four days and about 180 page turns before dropping one sector and I envisage it will now do the same as before and drop a sector a day. Looks like you were right Chainring - it's yet another duff battery which isn't taking or holding it's charge properly.