Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Question Updates and LOST.DIR contents

I just manually updated to 1.1.0. Prior to doing so I noticed a file called "207" (no suffix) in my LOST.DIR folder. It is 212,992 bytes long and has no date associated with it. It seems to be a true zip file. I copied it over to my PC, added a ".zip" suffix to it and it opened in Windows 7 with the standard zip file program.

After doing the down/sideload and having my Nook install the 1.1 0 update I now have a file called "36484" in my LOST.DIR in addition to the original "207". It is 173,559,808 bytes long, the same size as the Sideload_update.zip file that I downloaded to my PC for the 1.1.0 update. "36484" doesn't seem to be a real zip file--adding a .zip prefix won't permit it to be opened in Windows. This is the same thing that happens when I try to open the Sideload_update.zip file. I.e., it isn't a "real" zip file as far as Windows 7 is concerned.

So, to my questions, finally, does the Nook move and rename the Sideload_update.zip file to LOST.DIR after an installation is complete? Is it safe to delete the contents of LOST.DIR once an install is successful? And why bother moving and renaming the update install file to LOST.DIR in the first place? As far as I can tell, there's no further use for it after an update.

In addition to my specific questions, any information about how the Nook update process works will be helpful.

Many thanks.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, drv. Here is a similar discussion after the last update. You might find this thread interesting.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1329107
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Thanks. I'm headed there right now.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.1.0, updates. color