Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #46
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
My small CD collection is 10GB or so in MP3's. But that's at 128k. Better quality and they would be 20GB+. And I suppose I could add in 12GB of my pictures... there ya go, 32GB! All in stunning greyscale!
Agree. I have several audiobooks in MP3 format so I can put all of then on the same card.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #47
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't know WHAT I did, but I now have the Justified text as the default - for all my files. I no longer have to go in and change it every time I open a file. (The problem, previously, is that the Justified text was not "sticking"; now it's working perfectly! Go figure!)

I have NO idea what I did, but I did it.

If this is a bug, I "fixed" it on my Reader.

Don
Interesting. I tried to find this bug after reading your post but I didn't find it ... It looks like I fixed it too before find it but I didn't know that I fixed it
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #48
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
I would guess it's there for the Chinese reader Ectaco has that is like the jetBook, but with wireless.
yes, the name of this model: Chinese eBook reader M218B and according to description it has:
Built-in Wi-Fi, connecting with wireless network, Chinese eBook reader M218B can download MP3 and PDF files directly, high-speed.
http://www.ectaco.com/M218B/
Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #49
alxab
alxab began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
No paragraphs in TXT and RTF files

Strange that nobody seems to care much about the huge bug that Dr. Drib first reported. In plain txt and rtf files CRLF characters (Chr13 + Chr10) have been stripped so paragraph formatting is completely lost. All texts are nearly unreadable now including the ones Ectaco loaded. No dialogs. Poetry turned into prose. Damn! They added some very important features (UTF-8 decoding and improved fb2 reader) and fixed a few bugs, but introduced a new bad one in the process. Somebody here said it was a feature, not a bug. Hopefully, Ectaco will fix this "feature" ASAP. Should be an easy fix.
alxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #50
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxab View Post
Strange that nobody seems to care much about the huge bug that Dr. Drib first reported. In plain txt and rtf files CRLF characters (Chr13 + Chr10) have been stripped so paragraph formatting is completely lost. All texts are nearly unreadable now including the ones Ectaco loaded. No dialogs. Poetry turned into prose.
This is one of the reasons I'm thinking I'll forgo this update. I'll probably wait and see if the next update down the line addresses this bug. One of the things I've been using my jetBook for is easy reference for project notes which I'm doing as text files. The jetBook displays them beautifully and this is something I'd rather not lose.

The other reason is that I'm not sure I'm physically able to do the update process. The combination of a neuromuscular disorder and arthritis may pose a difficulty.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #51
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Somebody here said it was a feature, not a bug. Hopefully, Ectaco will fix this "feature" ASAP. Should be an easy fix.
That's what I was guessing, but I didn't realize it hit RTF's as well. If it was supposed to be a feature (to help with Gutenberg texts, for instance), it should be able to be toggled on/off.

Note that this is only version "c" of 33 and 30 was on version "i" (with a few others around, such as "e", etc) So I'd guess some bug fixes/patches will be forthcoming?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #52
alxab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
The other reason is that I'm not sure I'm physically able to do the update process. The combination of a neuromuscular disorder and arthritis may pose a difficulty.
It is much easier if you use a simple trick. Just turn the device upside down. Then press the power button with your right index finger and the arrow button with your left thumb. It feels more "natural" this way.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #53
alxab

Quote:
That's what I was guessing, but I didn't realize it hit RTF's as well.
My guess is that RTFs are also affected because the reader just extracts the text out of the RTF file and treats/presents it as a plain TXT file. I reported the bug on the Ectaco forum. They monitor posts closely and react pretty fast. Hopefully they will issue a patch soon. In the meantime I will have to stick with fb2 texts. The good news is that the new firmware handles fb2 books much better including UTF-8 support, pictures, better formatting. One thing though: it seems to me books open a little slower now. What do you think?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #54
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I don't know WHAT I did, but I now have the Justified text as the default - for all my files. I no longer have to go in and change it every time I open a file. (The problem, previously, is that the Justified text was not "sticking"; now it's working perfectly! Go figure!)

I have NO idea what I did, but I did it.

If this is a bug, I "fixed" it on my Reader.

Don
Aha! You've got it! The dreaded GEEK’S CURSE.

That's when every time you touch a computer, it works. Makes it damned hard to diagnose a problem. That's why I'm not a PC repair tech anymore. Couldn't take the customer's word that the cup holder was stuck!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #55
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Strange that nobody seems to care much about the huge bug that Dr. Drib first reported. In plain txt and rtf files CRLF characters (Chr13 + Chr10) have been stripped so paragraph formatting is completely lost. All texts are nearly unreadable now including the ones Ectaco loaded. No dialogs. Poetry turned into prose. Damn! They added some very important features (UTF-8 decoding and improved fb2 reader) and fixed a few bugs, but introduced a new bad one in the process. Somebody here said it was a feature, not a bug. Hopefully, Ectaco will fix this "feature" ASAP. Should be an easy fix.

Interestingly, however, all the plain txt us-ascii titles I've downloaded from Gutenburg yesterday ALL display perfectly!

Their Library (on the Reader and on their webpage) should probably be addressed - and very quickly, at that - or there will be some very unhappy customers. Only a few of their txt files display correctly. -- But, as mentioned, the quick solution is to re-download them from Gutenberg.

I'll be downloading more txt files today from Gutenberg, just to make certain that I wasn't "lucky."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #56
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
This is one of the reasons I'm thinking I'll forgo this update. I'll probably wait and see if the next update down the line addresses this bug. One of the things I've been using my jetBook for is easy reference for project notes which I'm doing as text files. The jetBook displays them beautifully and this is something I'd rather not lose.

Remember, this is a Beta update. I'm sure there will be Patches to fix some of the issues.

Don
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #57
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Remember, this is a Beta update. I'm sure there will be Patches to fix some of the issues.

Don
It would seem they are using the live customer base to QA their product.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #58
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would seem they are using the live customer base to QA their product.

Dale

You may be right.

And I would hope they're paying attention to the Jetbook owners frequenting MobileRead.

Perhaps it's working?

Don
Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #59
Lord_Pall
Lord_Pall began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, reb1200, reb1100
So I was hoping the new firmware would fix the "permanent hourglass" books that I keep generating.

It did not.

What causes this, and what can I do to avoid it?

Basically, some books just refuse to load. I've got an html file that exhibits this. If i convert to epub or mobi through calibre, it does the exact same.

If I convert it to RTF I can make it work though.

What should I keep an eye out for to prevent this? It's absolutely destroying the jetbook experience for me..

I should never want to go back to the ebookwise because Geblibrarian was so awesome.. heh
Lord_Pall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #60
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Interestingly, however, all the plain txt us-ascii titles I've downloaded from Gutenburg yesterday ALL display perfectly!
The way it is treating TXT files is geared towards Gutenberg but messes with some others.

Quote:
One thing though: it seems to me books open a little slower now. What do you think?
All books, or just TXT? TXT files do seem a bit slower, but I'm not sure on some of the others.

Anyone know if they are now using FBReader?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote