Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
anton980
anton980 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
missing lines of text on page turn

Hi everyone! I've got a problem that I didnt find a solution for on this forum.

I have a PRS-500, and I've noticed that if I create an LRF file, or even use an RTF or TXT files, whenever I turn the page, several lines of text will be missing, regardless of the text size.

The only way I could get text to show up correctly is by importing PDFs, but the problem with that is page turning becomes VERY slow on higher page numbers (page 500 and up takes 20-30 seconds to turn, for example)

Has anyone had issues like these, and are there any solutions?

Thank you very much!
anton980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Is there any chance that you've replaced the fonts, either on the Reader itself, or in the eBook Library Windows software app's folders, as this sounds like what happens when there's a mismatch between the two fonts, as the Sony software tries to calculate the page sizes using the font size.

You could try using Calibre to copy files to the device & see if that has any effect (AIUI, you'll need to install the PRS-500 USB driver) as that will transfer the book but the device will have to do the formatting (pagination) itself when first read.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
anton980

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

If I have replaced the fonts, it'd be purely by accident - but I'm pretty sure I didnt.

I tried using Calibre to convert my books to LRF format, I tried FB2LRF, but both of them give the same results. I also tried dropping txt and RTF files directly without conversion, and they all exhibit same problem.

I should have mentioned - the books are in Russian. I havent tried converting English text yet, but I'll try it today. Maybe (and most likely) it's an issue with the Russian fonts as you said?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Ah, I'm not 100% sure of the details, but if you've not modified the fonts, then I guess it could well be issues with character that the default font's don't support.

Having said that, my understanding is that 'Russification' of the 500 was a common operation, so with luck, you'll find some information to help either in the 500-Dev forum here or failing that, here on the Russian the-ebook.org Sony Reader forum.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
anton980

Hi again, and thanks for bearing with me!

I posted the same question on the the-ebook.org forum as well, and apparently it's a common problem when books are added via the Sony utility. According to the FAQ this problem should be fixed if the books are manually dropped to the memory card. I'll try that today and post here if it works.

Another workaround is to add the fonts used in the book to the eBook Library - I'd prefer that method but I need to find out exactly how to do that first.

Last edited by anton980; 05-26-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
anton980

ok, dropping books directly on a memory card bypassing the ebook Library software does indeed solve this problem! Thanks again for help!

Tags
lines, lrf, missing, prs-500, text