Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
Digital Picture Frames

Well I was goofing around today and I noticed my digital picture frame sitting there doing nothing. So I decided to see if I could make it into an ebook reader..and guess what success. I found a program that turns several different text and turns them into jpegs and I put them on my card loaded it and BINGO I got a book on my picture frame. Whats best is the program was free and the picture frame was cheap. That works for me.
The Skwerl.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Very cool! So did you set the images to advance automatically or manually?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What a great idea! And from a squirrel... sorry, I meant non-ninja Skwerl.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
great idea....
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
No most of them you can just move the pictures yourself and I did that so it works great. This little program even lets you change font and size so that made it nice to. ( ebook maker program that is)
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
the wiki covers this subject. There is a Zune converter that works well with digital frames as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
HalfABrain
HalfABrain began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tried this as well. I have been eying a new eReader but at this point can't justify the $. Walmart had a sale on an EnVue DPF3510 for $29. It has a 3.5 inch 320x240 color display, displays jpg files, and accepts SD cards.

I bought the thing and wrote a program to convert my Gutenberg books to lossless jpg files. I like it a lot except for one thing... every time I boot it up, it starts back at page 1, and there's no good way to navigate back through the hundreds of pages to where I was reading. It does have a thumb display where I can forward through 9 pages at a time in about 5 seconds, but it still takes way too long. I can get around it by buying cheap SDcards off ebay, and only transfer a couple hundred pages at a time onto each card.

I'm considering buying a bigger one. Perhaps a 7 or 8 inch frame. The Genie ones look amazing, and the Philips ones have possibilities. But I really need to make sure it has better navigation capabilities. Has anyone else tried this and gotten one that has a better nav system?
HalfABrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the price of 2nd hand Pocket PC or Palm PDAs, I have to ask "why bother"? On a Pocket PC or Palm you'll be able to read virtually all the commercial eBook formats using their "proper" reading applications with none of the hassle you're going through.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Not for a small screen, no, but for a larger one for comics for instance, it's not such a bad idea - especially if it's cheap.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
HalfABrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the price of 2nd hand Pocket PC or Palm PDAs, I have to ask "why bother"? On a Pocket PC or Palm you'll be able to read virtually all the commercial eBook formats using their "proper" reading applications with none of the hassle you're going through.
Good point. I'm still new at this, and it looks like I'm still exploring more options. Last time I went looking at palms they were still a lot more expensive.

The other issue is that I have children that have classes at school that are starting to require them to read classics. Buying paper books gets expensive fast. Which I normally don't have much problem with, but when the books are public domain and I can download them for free... Anyway, I'm looking at a solution for more than one person. Possibly five or six of them. Which makes the price a bigger deal.

Also, I think I really would like a bigger screen. I don't much mind reading books on my computer, with the 22" display. But I'd like to stay away from taking turns on the computer just to read.

The hassle hasn't been much yet. The only thing I can really call a hassle is navigating the pages. Whichever reader I end up with will have to do that well. I don't mind spending a little time formatting my books. I only need to do it once for each book, and then each of my kids could get a copy. I'm not worried about commercial books yet... I'll burn that bridge after I cross it.

Maybe my requirements are too unusual. In any case, I'll report what I come up with.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfABrain View Post
I tried this as well. I have been eying a new eReader but at this point can't justify the $. Walmart had a sale on an EnVue DPF3510 for $29. It has a 3.5 inch 320x240 color display, displays jpg files, and accepts SD cards.

I bought the thing and wrote a program to convert my Gutenberg books to lossless jpg files. I like it a lot except for one thing... every time I boot it up, it starts back at page 1, and there's no good way to navigate back through the hundreds of pages to where I was reading. It does have a thumb display where I can forward through 9 pages at a time in about 5 seconds, but it still takes way too long. I can get around it by buying cheap SDcards off ebay, and only transfer a couple hundred pages at a time onto each card.

I'm considering buying a bigger one. Perhaps a 7 or 8 inch frame. The Genie ones look amazing, and the Philips ones have possibilities. But I really need to make sure it has better navigation capabilities. Has anyone else tried this and gotten one that has a better nav system?
There is already one written for the Zune and it works with digital frames and other such devices. Check the wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Zune_ebook_creator

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
kguthrie
kguthrie began at the beginning.

Brilliant idea. Thanks for this.
kguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
HalfABrain

Update:

The Walmart in the next town over had a bunch of these EnVue ones on the closeout aisle for $5 each, so I bought several--one for each of my kids. I found an undocumented feature that makes it faster to navigate through a lot of pages at a time: if you go into thumbnail mode and hold down the arrow keys, it turns pages quicker.

So far it's working out pretty well. My boys used to get into arguments when one was reading late at night and wanted to keep the light on. One of my daughters likes to use her picture viewer to read in bed with the lights off. That way she doesn't bother her sister. I've tried it a couple of times myself, and it works pretty well.

For reading text, the smaller 3.5 inch screen size is more usable than I expected. Turning pages more often isn't all that bad. I have even experimented with putting picture books on there. The Mother Goose picture book on Gutenberg has some beautiful pictures. That's not as easy, though.

As an added bonus, my one daughter is still in learning how to read mode. We still have some of the level-appropriate learning books we used for her older siblings, but a lot of them got ruined or lost. I find it's very quick and easy to type in a short book just for her. I can include actual names of her siblings, pets, favorite foods or activities, friends... She responds well to that sort of thing.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
bouncy2009
bouncy2009 began at the beginning.

Creative
bouncy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote