Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #1141
ichrispa
Enthusiast
ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'd really appreciate
(1) The ability to hide the control surfaces in the Kobo Touch/Glo Web browser. I would love to have the websites in fullscreen mode and have the address bar/zoom visible when clicking on a certain area (like the controls when reading an ebook).

(2) The PDF support has gotten a lot better in 2.4.0, but I would like to manually control whether the page-turning margins are shown next to pages.
ichrispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #1142
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Nobody?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #1143
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
Nobody?
No, I don't have a copy and am not going to produce one. But, reading the query executed, it will just list the text that was selected in the book and the whatever was entered as an annotation. There isn't really anything to show.

As to your other question, the selected text and the annotation is added on separate lines to the comment field in calibre for each book. There is a line between separating the annotations and the percentage into the book that the annotation is.

I don't think either of these answer the real question you want to ask. What is it you are actually after?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #1144
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Can you post a link to the result file extr_annotations.txt or post how the file looks like?
If the actual question is "Is it worth doing it?", I would rather say no. The extracted highlights and annotations are NOT exported in the sequence they have in the book. You might however be interested in this tool.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #1145
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If the actual question is "Is it worth doing it?", I would rather say no. The extracted highlights and annotations are NOT exported in the sequence they have in the book. You might however be interested in this tool.
Is it worth doing? Yes, but I also want to minimize the effort for doing this for every book.

What do I want to do with it? Well, I want to have a summary of all my highlights for a specific book that I read. That way I could come back and not read the whole book

That's why I want to see the file struction and see how much formating and deleting I have to do in order to achieve this. Sos right now I'm only left with the Kindle as the only viable option as there is a service called clippingsconverter which nicely formats the highlight and lets you export them. Sad, that I have to resort to such measures and deal with a sub-par device

Personally, I'm dealing with non-DRM ebooks. And it personally offends and aggravates me to no end that it's made this hard to extract MY highlights. It would even be worse if they were paid books, because I believe that if I bought something it is mine and I should be able to do whatever I want with it as long as I don't resell or post the whole book on the internet or through that ebook at somebody

As you read, I pretty annoyed at the whole state of ebooks and annotations..so don't take it personally

Last edited by readandread; 04-16-2013 at 03:27 PM.
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #1146
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Another problem: It will be nice if you can connect the device without charging it, since charging when the lithium battery is not completely discharged is not good for its life span.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #1147
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Another problem: It will be nice if you can connect the device without charging it, since charging when the lithium battery is not completely discharged is not good for its life span.
That is not true with current lithium batteries.
See: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #1148
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
As you read, I pretty annoyed at the whole state of ebooks and annotations..
You have several possibilities:
- use calibre (you will find information in this forum. I myself have no experience with it)
- use sqlite directly
- use my tool (linked in my previous post), each line consists of the highlighted text and the annotation if any separated by a tab
- use the xml files from the adobe folder on the device
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #1149
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

@robko: interesting site, thank you. Anyway now I have another problem: Kobo is turned on when it is connected and charged, and this is not good for the battery (now I'm sure, it's stated also on the site you linked) (EDIT: mmmmhhh.... probably this can't be fixed with a firmware update...).

Some other problems (I don't stop anymore ^^):
  1. bookmarks are listed under the other annotations. Since bookmarks are intended to be a quick reference to jump to page, IMHO it will be better a menu apart
  2. when you select a word, also punctuation characters are selected. This is problematic when you perform a search
  3. there could be an option to skip completely empty pages. They are useful for real books, but useless for e-book readers
  4. when you search a word and go to the page of one result, if you want to do something the search result go away, and you must redo it. Furthermore you have to dismiss the search result if you want to see in which page the searched term is... It could be useful if Kobo could hide/show search results without dismiss it.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-17-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #1150
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
My thought is not critical, but just a nice-to-have: I'd like to see the "extras" (Sudoku, Chess, notepad) in their own easy-to-access menu somewhere on the main library screen - or maybe as one of the drop-down menu options within there.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1151
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

@teija: see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201632
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #1152
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just upgraded my Glo from 2.1.5 to 2.5.1.

I would like to see better support for sideloaded epubs. I'm using Calibre to load my epubs as kepubs (since I like the chapter progress for kepubs).

I miss the total page number progress. The total time left is nice, but isn't very reliable. My current book has some stuff at the end (previews, author notes, ...), so the time remaining and progress are off.

Also, for the progress window, I would like to see all the chapters displayed, with an indicator for my current chapter. If this isn't doable, I would like to see the chapter progress include the current chapter when first activated.

And for the Aura, make the left and right arrows for the scrolling in chapter progress more defined, I couldn't tell when they were disabled. It looked more like a bug to me.

More granularity on formatting options: font size, margins, line spacing. Allow smaller line spacing. Allow smaller margins.

And provide an option for getting rid of the header and footer while reading.

And make the paper clip hole size the same for the Aura and Glo.

A quote from the Kobo web site:

Quote:
... Kobo Glo's soft back in Kobo's signature quilt pattern is so comfortable in your hand, you’ll forget you’re holding a device!
I want the same comfort for the Aura. Actually, go back to the quilt pattern on the Touch. And use the tacky plastic/coating.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #1153
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would like to see better support for sideloaded epubs.
Forget it. Kobo offers support only for the kepub format.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #1154
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Isn't it a misunderstanding due to a bad choice of words from the representative? Because this is very surprising!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #1155
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I think no, since this is the follow-up to my response:

Quote:
blahblah We have to let you know that the Kobo Glo has the function to move the pages and move them. (at least...)
Please take into consideration that this is an issue with the book itself and being this a non-Kobo ebook we cannot support it.
End of discussion. I replied another time but I've not received an answer yet. I hope it's only an error of the operator, maybe she thought the bug was only for a specific book (even if I was very clear IMHO...)

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-30-2013 at 12:50 PM.