Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #46
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
so if more coffee makers sell this year than iPads should we all bow down to the All Mighty Mr. Coffee?

can you guys honestly tell me that the large majority of people who are buying the iPad is for the E-Reader?
I don't think that was his point. And no one here is telling you that the large majority of people who are buying the iPad is for the e-Reader. I'm not sure where you are going with all this.

Last edited by kjk; 06-24-2010 at 12:50 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #47
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ok two aren't
Here's a few more for you.

Brad Stone, NYT: Three Reasons Why the iPad WON’T Kill Amazon’s Kindle

Jay Yarow, SAI: Apple iPad Won't Kill The Amazon Kindle

Michael Miller, PC World: Will the iPad Kill the Kindle? Of Course Not

Om Malik, GigaOM: Why Amazon’s Kindle Will Eventually Win the e-Book Wars

Andrew Nusca, ZDNet: Why the Apple iPad won't cannibalize the Kindle e-reader

Joanna Stern, NYTimes: Among E-Readers, Competition Heats Up
Old 06-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #48
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Ibooks doesn't have Random House books in their store. I think Random House is the biggest of the Big Six publishers..... another minus.

Amazon=Hundreds of Thousands of books.
Ibooks=Tens of Thousands

Another - for Apple.
Um, you've heard the term "yeah, there's an app for that"?

There's an app for reading Kindle books on your iPad, or iPhone, or Touch. It's put out by Amazon. There are apps for reading Baen books, and accessing your webscriptions directly from the device. Fictionwise, too. Lots of apps for Gutenberg. So far I haven't found any titles you couldn't read easily on an iPad.

Not true of Kindle, so I guess that's a plus for Apple after all....

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Didn't really read the articles but it just goes to show how successful Amazon is with the Kindle given 5 out of the 6 articles you linked to specifically mention Kindle vs iPad in the title.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #50
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Didn't really read the articles but it just goes to show how successful Amazon is with the Kindle given 5 out of the 6 articles you linked to specifically mention Kindle vs iPad in the title.
Yes, I think the Kindle is considered the defacto eReader; easily the most recognizable one at least. And, its inevitable they will use it to compare it to everything else, even as they admit that it isn't really a comparison
Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #51
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
you see what gets me is, I'm willing to wager that about 90% of the people are not buying the iPad FOR the e-book reading feature, but more for web browsing, streaming movies and videos, all the fun apps and the ebook reader is a "cool i guess" extra.

as where people buying the Nook, Kindle,sony etc. are buying them FOR e-reading.
Just because the press wants the iPad to kill e-readers doesn't make it so.
Exactly.
Tablets and e-reader and different markets...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #52
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I don't think they're crippled, they do what they were built to do, read e books and they do them great.
I don't think my couch is crippled because it doesn't turn into a car.
I'm saying ebook readers do not read ebooks well. That is supposed to be their function, and they are quite mediocre at that. I simply find the standards of most ebook apologists to be extremely low.

This assertion that I'm calling ebook readers crippled because they don't do some completely unrelated function is idiotic.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 06-24-2010 at 04:23 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #53
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Ibooks doesn't have Random House books in their store. I think Random House is the biggest of the Big Six publishers..... another minus.

Amazon=Hundreds of Thousands of books.
Ibooks=Tens of Thousands

Another - for Apple.
You need to stop thinking that device and bookstore are the same thing.
You can buy and read Amazon 'Kindle' books on the iPad.
And Apple books, and B&N books, and Borders books, and Kobo books, ...
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #54
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I'm sorry, but this guy was calling all ereaders "crippled" devices. I'm very happy with my Kindle, thank you very much, for all I want to do is READ BOOKS, and I don't want to pay $500 - $1000 for a "walled garden" media device and the associated fees from ATT.
How is the Kindle not a 'walled garden' device?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #55
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
so if more coffee makers sell this year than iPads should we all bow down to the All Mighty Mr. Coffee?

can you guys honestly tell me that the large majority of people who are buying the iPad is for the E-Reader?
Wasn't trying to.
Someone else had pulled out a figure that 90% were not bought primarily for buying. My point was that with the sales of the iPad, even if only 10% should be counted as 'real' eReaders, that could still be a significant market share.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
So far I haven't found any titles you couldn't read easily on an iPad.
Adobe ADEPT DRM books are the main missing ability, which primarily means the Sony bookstore.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #57
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
No one need bow down to anybody. You don't have to like or hate a piece of technology to understand it's place in the market. Doesn't matter if someone likes their kindle just because the iPad exists. They are going to be affected by the iPad regardless. Agency pricing -- wasn't brought on by Apple, but without the iPad - Amazon would have never given in. And now we are seeing the price drops on the devices themselves.

Quote:
We are discussing this survey, and it said 38%. That's not a majority. But with 3 million sold in 80 days, that's 1 million folks who have an ipad primarily for reading -- and there will be 3 million such folks by the end of the year by that same number. And 7 or 8 million by the end of next year.

This notion that the iPad won't matter to ebooks because it's customers don't read the way kindle customers do....is somewhat true. Device for device, who'd doubt that the average kindle reader is going to read more books? But there's going to be FAR more iPad's sold -- and soon Android tablets.

eInk devices were already half the price of the cheapest iPad's --- and they STILL felt the need to drop their prices.

Shoot, if I preferred eink readers, I'd be quite happy about the iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #58
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
because every media pundit is claiming the iPad is the death of e-readers
That's just link bait....folks trying to get attention. I don't pay such folks any attention.

Quote:
when the vast majority of people buying iPads would more than likely would never think about buying an e-reader and could probably careless about the e-reader on the iPad outside to show their friends how cool Winnie the Phoo looks when you turn the pages and how vibrate the color is.
And now you are behaving like the pundits. The iPad is already a major force in the ebook market and will be joined soon by Android tablets. It's not going to run eink devices out of business by any stretch. However, you can see the price drops as a response to the iPad...and that wouldn't happen if the iPad wasn't being used for reading.

Lee
Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #59
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
We are discussing this survey, and it said 38%. That's not a majority. But with 3 million sold in 80 days, that's 1 million folks who have an ipad primarily for reading -- and there will be 3 million such folks by the end of the year by that same number. And 7 or 8 million by the end of next year.
Sorry to nitpick - I liked what you said. But this survey only showed 38% selected "read ebooks" as a reason for purchasing - not the reason. ie. Most of those people could be primarily using it for games (the top 10 selling pay apps on the apple store were games), but also thought they might read a book or two on it.

So 38% is the upper bound. I would think the percentage of people who bought it for primarily reading ebooks would be far, far fewer than those who simply thought they might like to read an ebook on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Shoot, if I preferred eink readers, I'd be quite happy about the iPad.
Exactly! I just bought a new Nook. Last week it would have been $270 - I paid $150. You bet I'm happy!

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #60
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Sorry to nitpick - I liked what you said. But this survey only showed 38% selected "read ebooks" as a reason for purchasing - not the reason. ie.
All we can do is try to understand -- we don't have any hard numbers yet. I'd say I'm no more guilty of over selling the ereading use of the iPad -- than others are underselling it. If 38% of folks bought an iPad with the intention of reading -- does it take away that that's not the ONLY thing they intend to do with it?

We have plenty of testimony on this very site -- from iPad owners who are quite happily using their device for reading books. I am one such person.

06/20/10 Alvin Journeyman - Orson Scott Card (epub)
06/18/10 Prentice Alvin - Orson Scott Card (epub)
06/17/10 Red Prophet - Orson Scott Card (epub)
06/14/10 Seventh Son - Orson Scott Card (epub)
06/05/10 The Bourne Deception (bought from fictionwise.com)
05/29/10 Treason - Don Brown (kindle)
05/26/10 We Few - Ringo, Weber (Bean Free Library)
05/22/10 March to the Stars - Ringo, Weber (Bean Free Library)
05/16/10 March to the Sea - Ringo, Weber (Bean Free Library)
05/10/10 March Up Country - Ringo, Weber (Bean Free Library)
04/24/10 Stewards of the Flame - Sylvia Engdahl (ebook)
04/14/10 The Doors of the Universe - Sylvia Engdahl (kindle)
04/12/10 Beyond the Tomorrow Mountains - Sylvia Engdahl (kindle)
04/07/10 Earthborn - Orson Scott Card (ebook)
04/02/10 Earthfall - Orson Scott Card (ebook)

And I'm in the middle of "The Forever War" by Halderman and "Heartfire" by Orson Scott card.

Not a single one of these books was purchased from the iBook store. Some are kindle books, some from the Baen Free Library, some from fictionwise, etc.

And yes, I watch TV, surf the web, email, instant message, listen to music and podcasts and play games on my iPad as well.

Lee