Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Lightbulb Optimal Calibre Conversion Settings?

I expect my new Kindle 2 to arrive in the next day or so, and in anticipation I have been prepping some PDF files that I un-DRM'd so that they can be popped onto my Kindle. I am using Calibre to convert from PDF to Mobi, but I am struggling to get the resulting Mobi file to look decent.

Leep gave me some tips, but I am wondering if others could share the best Calibre conversion parameters they have used...

Thanks in advance!
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

I posted this in the Kindle forum rather than Calibre because I specifically want help from Kindle users... Thanks!
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Sier
Sier began at the beginning.

I'm also looking for the same thing..
Sier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
There aren't a lot of options to tweak. Setting "Line Un-Wrapping Factor" to 0.25 (the default is 0) is something I saw somewhere and tried, and that has helped with PDF input.

Most of my ebooks were either ePub or eReader, and those converted to Mobipocket with no difficulty.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
If the PDFs have headers and/or footers, they will show up in the resultant mobi text itself. For example, page numbers from the PDF file will be show up i the actual text when reading it on the device. Calibre lets you specify regular expressions that it uses to try and identify the header and/or footer and remove it from the conversion.
Personally, I haven't been bothered too much by these extra bits and just do a simple pdf->mobi conversion when I need to.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I make the following changes in Calibre for both pdf and epub conversions.

Remove extra paragraphs
Remove header
Remove footers
Do not include table of contents (under the mobi output tab)

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
You may also want to try MobiPocket Creator for the conversions. It sometimes does a better job than Calibre.

Tom
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote