Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
KindlePID and KindleFIX on Kindle 2

Should still work as the SN follows the same format as Kindle 1. I'm too lazy to try it now but I will try it and post my results.

B001 = Kindle 1
B002 = Kindle 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	24156   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	24157  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Look forward to seeing you results. I ordered mine hoping it would work.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KindlePID did generate the correct type of PID.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K2pidA.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	24162  
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I just noticed that the PID for my Kindle 1 starts with a letter. The PID from this Kindle 2 starts with a number.

I have registered the new with BoB and downloaded another free copy of "The Nautal" by Abby Gains. I wasn't able to choose which PID should go with the book, so I'm not sure how this will turn out. Pre-checkout did state that a PID for *each* device must be registered.

I may not be able to complete this test until I have my K2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bob for k2.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	24171  
Old 02-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mobipocket books can include more than one PID - i.e. the same file can be read on more than one Mobipocket device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have registered the new with BoB and downloaded another free copy of "The Nautal" by Abby Gains. I wasn't able to choose which PID should go with the book, so I'm not sure how this will turn out. Pre-checkout did state that a PID for *each* device must be registered.

I may not be able to complete this test until I have my K2.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The book will be encrypted for BOTH PID's. The question is, will KindleFIX work on a book encoded with two PIDs? And will the Kindle work with it.

So, I'm not clear from your message, did KindleFIX work (not error) on the eBook that contained both PIDs in it? Actually, I don't think KindleFIX even does anthing with the PIDs so I except it would.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I was concerned that having a PID that starts with a number instead of a letter might be a problem. For all I know it could still be using my K1 PID only if it won't work with the K2 PID (because of the number thing) since they are both registered. Basically I don't know if the newly downloaded book is using both PID's.

I haven't tried to KindleFIX the book yet because I don't have my Kindle 2 yet.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I haven't tried to KindleFIX the book yet because I don't have my Kindle 2 yet.
You can run it without having the Kindle.... since you have the S/N.

BOb
Old 02-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can run it without having the Kindle.... since you have the S/N.

BOb
I know but I can't test the results without the K2 (I remember writing the wiki).
Old 02-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I know but I can't test the results without the K2 (I remember writing the wiki).
Right... so it did run without error? I haven't seen you say that. Or perhaps you are speaking duck and me penguin... rather than using standard fowl language.

BOb
Old 02-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Right... so it did run without error? I haven't seen you say that. Or perhaps you are speaking duck and me penguin... rather than using standard fowl language.

BOb
No, I have not run the script yet.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Okay, I just ran the script. At first I thought it didn't work until I realized I had a typo in the command (spelling very important).

The KindleFIX script does work with a K2 PID starting with a number. I'll check to see if the book ends up with the same EXTH title as a K1 book when I receive my K2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k2kfixnaturalA.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	24176  
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Awesome Daffy... I await your full report with bated breath. Most anxious to know if this works. Even more if it works on both Kindles when you have the two PIDs in the store/library.

BOb
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Awesome Daffy... I await your full report with bated breath. Most anxious to know if this works. Even more if it works on both Kindles when you have the two PIDs in the store/library.

BOb
I just tried an experiment. I loaded the book KindleFIX'd with the K2 PID on my K1. The book showed with the title "5" and I was unable to open it (no surprise).

Image 1 (k2pidonk1)

I then ran the book through KindleFIX again with my K1 PID and loaded it on to my K1. It was titled with "EXTH" (no surprise) BUT, I could NOT open it (not good). I don't know why. The book may not have both PIDs encoded into it. I won't know for sure until I receive my K2.

Image 2 (k1pidonk1)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k2pidonk1.gif
Views:	293
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	24179   Click image for larger version

Name:	k1pidonk1.gif
Views:	313
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	24180  
Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried an experiment. I loaded the book KindleFIX'd with the K2 PID on my K1. The book showed with the title "5" and I was unable to open it (no surprise).
So, it may be, which I was thinking may be the case, that the kindle will only read a book encoded with 1 (its) PID... since that is how the Kindle books are encoded.

BOb