Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Nook SimpleTouch is broken: what to get next?

My 2yo Nook simple touch developed the screen problems, some lines going up, down and across. Time to get a replacement.

What the replacement should be?

Two things I love about SimpleTouch:
* I love the concept of e-paper. I believe it is the way to go in order to be easy on eyes. Perfect for reading traditional (b/w) books, which I am mostly into.
* Low power consumption. SimpleTouch allows robably 2+ weeks of reading, and can hold charge for well over a month on idle.

Thing that could be better with SimpleTouch:
* Screen could be somewhat larger.
* Bugs, like page Up/Down keys sometimes begin to repeat many times. Battery leaks when not powered down after recharge, etc.

Obvious choice is to get another SimpleTouch.

But what are the alternatives? Anybody can recommend something else in the same price range, with the similar screen (maybe larger), with Android and all the same features, and maybe more?
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Amazon just came out with the new Kindle Paperwhite, but it's $139 without the ads. That's what I would be looking at. Not sure when B&N will come out with the new Nook.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
But what are the alternatives? Anybody can recommend something else in the same price range, with the similar screen (maybe larger), with Android and all the same features, and maybe more?
You may as well get another Nook STR. It's a solid reader. You can get them dirt cheap now. Nothing else really has Android. It's easy to root (if that's what you're doing). You could get a Sony T1/T2, I guess. But I think they're flaky and harder to root and more prone to brick.

There is nothing bigger except the Kobo Aura HD (not the about to be released Aura). It has the best screen and light currently on the market.

However, new e-readers are coming out as we speak. New Kindle, Kobo and Aura. You might want to wait. But if you can pick up a Nook very cheap, I don't think you'll regret it. Plus you presumably already have a case.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If you don't care about a lighted screen, get another NST. If you want to root it, use Nook Manager. It's really a very nice reader.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrry94087 View Post

Thing that could be better with SimpleTouch:
* Screen could be somewhat larger.
* Bugs, like page Up/Down keys sometimes begin to repeat many times. Battery leaks when not powered down after recharge, etc.
The page turn thing is a hardware-related defect IMO. I swapped my first ST with no problems via B&N CS when it developed the problem (and it got worse over time). The new one didn't have the same problem.

I love my ST with glowlight. If you put the buttons from the last gen kindle on it, it would be the perfect e-reader - I wish the buttons were easier to press.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
I would choose the same ST again.

Android with their app ecosystem is the biggest reason. I just don't see how non-android system can be as good as android based one functionally. One choice for reader, and for everything, totally at the mercy of some proprietary manufacturer.

For me, in our day and age, choice of the proprietary OS in design of the reader is pretty much a design flaw.

Hoping that B&N will keep developing their line of products, or some other manufacturer will adopt Android for their eInk tablets.

Also it looks like Sony moved away from Android. Matrix here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix lists sony PRS-T1 as having Android. But since then sony came up with PRS-T2HBC (unlisted in matrix). And all descriptions of that one never say what OS is there. Probably proprietary (maybe proprietary Linux-based).

I also tried to find a replacement screen. But it seems that screen is the most vulnerable part, and every single ST listed as "broken" or "for-parts" on EBay has its screen broken.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrry94087 View Post
I would choose the same ST again.

Android with their app ecosystem is the biggest reason. I just don't see how non-android system can be as good as android based one functionally. One choice for reader, and for everything, totally at the mercy of some proprietary manufacturer.

For me, in our day and age, choice of the proprietary OS in design of the reader is pretty much a design flaw.

Hoping that B&N will keep developing their line of products, or some other manufacturer will adopt Android for their eInk tablets.

Also it looks like Sony moved away from Android. Matrix here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix lists sony PRS-T1 as having Android. But since then sony came up with PRS-T2HBC (unlisted in matrix). And all descriptions of that one never say what OS is there. Probably proprietary (maybe proprietary Linux-based).

I also tried to find a replacement screen. But it seems that screen is the most vulnerable part, and every single ST listed as "broken" or "for-parts" on EBay has its screen broken.
If my nook touch breaks I am looking at this reader https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219522

Doesnt have the side buttons that I love on Nook Touch. But has Android 4 better resolution screen and front lit. Nook Touch is great but it being on an older version of android is curtailing the apps that can run on it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread moved.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Nook ST buttons suck IMO. Nasty rubberized things. What were they thinking? I never use them. I installed Button Saviour instead.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, simpletouch