Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #91
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
Just started the first book after seeing the series on tv, I have noticed that so far (I'm a quarter of the way through) it's much like the tv series which is ok by me as there is a lot of history and lots of characters to remember and seeing the 1st series has helped put faces to names, but after reading this thread it seems that the books and tv move away from each other so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites where the history and family trees could be found (for the books not the tv series.)

Thanx
SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #92
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanSteve View Post
Just started the first book after seeing the series on tv, I have noticed that so far (I'm a quarter of the way through) it's much like the tv series which is ok by me as there is a lot of history and lots of characters to remember and seeing the 1st series has helped put faces to names, but after reading this thread it seems that the books and tv move away from each other so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites where the history and family trees could be found (for the books not the tv series.)
A Wiki of Ice and Fire
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #93
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanSteve View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites where the history and family trees could be found
Every volume in the series includes an appendix that lists family trees of all the noble houses. It's actually an indented outline rather than a tree diagram, but the information is there. Also, a short description of each house.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #94
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Every volume in the series includes an appendix that lists family trees of all the noble houses. It's actually an indented outline rather than a tree diagram, but the information is there. Also, a short description of each house.
Thanx guys very helpful info
Found some nice artwork for Game of Thrones http://www.tednasmith.com/other/TN-E...html#eastwatch

Last edited by SuburbanSteve; 07-11-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #95
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo I am half way through book 5. I feel desperation setting in.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #96
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've finished reading A Game of Thrones a few days ago. Not really that impressed to be honest.Above the things I already mentioned, there is one more thing that bothered me: Ned Stark.
Spoiler:
Besides the fact that he was thinking of honour before his own family, his death was really... simple? What's the point of developing a character throughout a book (or even more) if his or her death is just plain and not fit for the character?. I am concerned since I heard that Martin is in the habit of killing his characters. As much as I like The Imp or Snow, if their deaths are as plain and simple as Ned's was, I might stop reading.

I am now almost halfway through A Clash of Kings and this one seems a lot better. I am glad to see more of Arya and Snow as well as The Imp. Sure Catelyn and Sansa are still annoying and should be impaled in every chapter but at least their presence in the book is not so big anymore. One major complaint however is that I finished 36% of the book (so my Kindle says) and Daenerys was only mentioned once. It seems like the author forgot about her all of a sudden...

Regardless, I like this one more than the first book. I suppose the first book served as an introduction to the characters and world, though it was the longest I have ever read
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #97
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
What's the point of developing a character throughout a book (or even more) if his or her death is just plain and not fit for the character?.
Some readers (like myself) love that Martin does this. People are fragile bags of bone and water, and the most important character can suffer a sudden, unglamorous death. It's brutal and realistic, and it adds a level of tension unmatched by most other books. Martin can elevate a reader's pulse as few authors can, because he has served notice that anyone can die without warning.

I remember the first time I read these books. I thought, "Oh my God! There's a massive void in the story's center. WTF!" Have no fear: other characters are waiting in the wings, ready to take center stage. They'll be fully developed and (eventually) appear to be essential and irreplacable. Muahahaha. They're not. Anyone can be killed, just like real life, and the world moves on without them.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #98
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Some readers (like myself) love that Martin does this. People are fragile bags of bone and water, and the most important character can suffer a sudden, unglamorous death. It's brutal and realistic, and it adds a level of tension unmatched by most other books. Martin can elevate a reader's pulse as few authors can, because he has served notice that anyone can die without warning.

I remember the first time I read these books. I thought, "Oh my God! There's a massive void in the story's center. WTF!" Have no fear: other characters are waiting in the wings, ready to take center stage. They'll be fully developed and (eventually) appear to be essential and irreplacable. Muahahaha. They're not. Anyone can be killed, just like real life, and the world moves on without them.
That is also for me the thing that makes the book so good. And the books are not about specific people and I think it is a mistake to try to read them that way.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #99
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not a fan of the way the series has developed (or more like not developed), but I have no problem with the killing of characters... sometimes seemingly willy-nilly. I usually have more of a problem with the authors who are too timid to kill more of their creations, actually. People are fragile. Even important ones can die. Quietly even. Having them all either survive anything or die gloriously is a bit predictable and boring to me.

As to your specific spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yes Ned Stark—the man—dies. Dies quickly, early and unspectacularly. But his character remains a driving force behind many plotlines. He's still there... if that makes any sense. His character—his death—is still influencing many people and events. Ned's death provided a necessary impetus. Unfortunately, I think Martin has gone a bit off the rails in the middle books... but that's just me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-13-2012 at 07:59 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #100
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I agree that in real life, many deaths, are quiet, unspectacular and even pointless. The way Martin kills off even important characters make the books more powerful forme, but of course that is just my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Unfortunately, I think Martin has gone a bit off the rails in the middle books... but that's just me.
I have read the first three books in sequence years ago, but after reading about how horrible and pointless A Feast for Crows was in many people's opinions, I stopped and left on the shelves for six long years before finally picking it up this year. It took me at least a hundred pages to get hooked again, but then I couldn't stop reading. I am one of those weird persons who ended up liking it in the end, I even developed a grudging respect for Jaime Lannister. A Dance With Dragons had all my favorite characters in it, so I have no complaints about it, and I think it did advance the plot.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #101
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Angry Herrummph......

[QUOTE=DiapDealer;2149177]I'm not a fan of the way the series has developed (or more like not developed), but I have no problem with the killing of characters... sometimes seemingly willy-nilly. I usually have more of a problem with the authors................/QUOTE] [selectively truncated ]

Well, quite, I don't agree with killing authors either .....

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #102
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast

Well just finished the first book am about a quarter of the way through the second book and finding it a little harder going as there is so many more people to remember (had to print out the maps and family trees.) but the story is still holding me.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #103
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wasn't all that impressed overall.

Spoiler:

The main section involving Bran witnessing the sex scene was gripping and the last 20% was pretty good also but the middle didn't grab my attention at all.

Don't believe I'll be carrying on with the series any time soon.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #104
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have been loving the series so far and plan to reread it before the next book in the series is published. I'm desperately trying to find another series that will hook me in as much as A Song of Ice and Fire, but I haven't had any luck.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #105
Kevin8or
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I have been loving the series so far and plan to reread it before the next book in the series is published.
I used to re-read the entire series when each new volume was published, however the overall size has grown so large that, next time, I'll probably re-read only the last several chapters of the previous book, enough to (hopefully) refresh my memory.

Quote:
I'm desperately trying to find another series that will hook me in as much as A Song of Ice and Fire, but I haven't had any luck.
Nor have I. Please share your discovery if you succeed.