Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #301
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastratedBean View Post
hey! I'm new here & I've never owned an e-reader. I was lucky enough to get one from E-bay and unlucky enough that I'm basicially too dumb to function with it. (

the literati I have came with no sort of charger. The person I purchased it from said I could use an USB to charge it. I have tried every sort of USB I have (even the one with the changing ends) and nothing charged it.....

any suggestions? Will it only take a certain USB/charger?
I think it only charges with the power supply. I lost my supply but found that it charged fine with a portable dvd player charger with the same tip. Look around your basement. Also it would probably charge with a usb to barrel adopter if you can find one the right size.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #302
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
You can take your Literati to Radio Shack and tell the sales person you need a 5 volt, 1.5 amp charger and have them help you find a tip to fit it from the adapta-tip (or whatever it's called) selection. Be sure to plug the tip into the charger such that the tip is +. I mark mine with a Sharpie so that if they come unplugged, it's east to get it right.

While there are cheaper ways to get a charger, you have to know the ID and OD of the plug and I have no accurate way to measure it.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #303
JudyV
JudyV began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
No it does not charge with the USB. Take it down to Radio Shack, they should be able to fit you with a standard charger that will work.
JudyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #304
JudyV
JudyV began at the beginning.

Smile Night Reading Addict

I am a night reader and love my Literati for that reason. I read most of the time in bed with the lights off at night.

Does anyone know if any other digital reader has that same capability for night reading (reverse screen is dark, print is lite up) and brightness can be customized. I am sure that this capability is not avail on the ink type systems but might be available on any system that is full color.

As an alternative to digital readers, is it possible to do this with the tablets on the market now?

It is a waste of time trying to ask this question of the sales folks in the office supply stores.

Thanks for listening.
JudyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #305
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyV View Post
I am a night reader and love my Literati for that reason. I read most of the time in bed with the lights off at night.

Does anyone know if any other digital reader has that same capability for night reading (reverse screen is dark, print is lite up) and brightness can be customized. I am sure that this capability is not avail on the ink type systems but might be available on any system that is full color.

As an alternative to digital readers, is it possible to do this with the tablets on the market now?

It is a waste of time trying to ask this question of the sales folks in the office supply stores.

Thanks for listening.
Not possible with eInk, but it is possible with tablets. The Fire, the Nook Color, the reading apps on the iPad can all be put into night mode (white/light print on dark background). You can put the Nook and/or Kobo apps on the Kindle Fire, or the Kindle and Kobo apps on the Nook Color (if you root it). You can put all the apps on an iPad and on Android tablets. Personally I prefer the smaller 7" tablets to the iPad for reading, but that's just my preference.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #306
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastratedBean View Post
hey! I'm new here & I've never owned an e-reader. I was lucky enough to get one from E-bay and unlucky enough that I'm basicially too dumb to function with it. (

the literati I have came with no sort of charger. The person I purchased it from said I could use an USB to charge it. I have tried every sort of USB I have (even the one with the changing ends) and nothing charged it.....

any suggestions? Will it only take a certain USB/charger?
Return for refund ...without charger useless! Can only ce charged thru wall socket Not PC!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #307
Dkenzie
Dkenzie began at the beginning.

Regarding the questions on the Literati charger:

My older style LG "flip lid" phone charger is an exact fit. (5Volts, very thin dc plug)

I just purchased a used Literati ereader yesterday. It had no charger, so I found my cell phone was an exact match, and it charged right up. Every thing seems to work with one exception: The "paging" buttons do not move pages. Is there a setting that disables them? I have looked in every setting folder I can find and there is no mention of the button. At this point, I assume there is a defect which will require me to use the "D-Pad", which works fine, just a little nuance factor. Note: I just found the manual online as quoted by someone on this site. I will review it right away.
Dkenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #308
TeriNanaMom
TeriNanaMom began at the beginning.

Device: litrtati
how do I re-register my literati to my new email account???

Last edited by TeriNanaMom; 03-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.
TeriNanaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #309
Dkenzie
Dkenzie began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriNanaMom View Post
how do I re-register my literati to my new email account???
Sorry no one "knowledgeable" has replied to you. I just bought a Literati (used) and had to remove the previous owners email address and enter mine. I called 1-800-481-7983 (number furnished to me by KoBo book store). I was initially told to call back later in the afternoon. I did and got a very nice young lady who walked me thru the process.

The first step was to go into settings and reset the unit back to the way it was when first purchased, then enter your own info. I initially lost all the books on it, but the first time I synced the unit while on line, all the books that were on it when purchased, came back. Probably best to call the above number.
Dkenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #310
Arwym
Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Literati eReader, B&N Nook Simple Touch
Any good leather cases around that will fit my Literati? The one mine came with is so worn already, and I'd like to get a new one. If you don't know of any, what are the dimensions/specifications you would recommend I look for? I know it's 8.5 in. long, but what else?

P.S. Thank God that my Literati is working just fine (and it has since I purchased it around mid-June or early July of last year). My only complaint is that I have too many books in my Kobo library and there's not enough storage space for all of them (Kobo won't sync them with my SD card, sadly). I can still have them in my Literati, thanks to Adobe Digital Editions, (no bookmarks and annotations syncing, though) but I'd love to find a way to boot the system directly from my SD Card, but I know next to nothing about hacking this device. Yet I know there have been attempts in the past, but nothing concrete has been achieved yet. How I wish we could get the developers to open source it.

Last edited by Arwym; 04-03-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Arwym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #311
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only SDCards I found to work were the plain older ones [Non-HC types] Mine sboots just fine from the SDCard. Even keeps tabs of last page read. Knock on wood still going great since Feb 2011 LOL I never found any case in stores BUT I think a poster named Peggy on MR makes them. Not leather think they are quilt padded.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=62429

Send her PM I believe she will get it!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 04-03-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #312
Arwym
Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Literati eReader, B&N Nook Simple Touch
Thanks! Checking it out now.

Do you know anything about the Lookbook? I was under the impression that Lookbook and Literati are the same device but with different branding. Am I correct? Because DecalGirl (decalgirl.com) sells skins for that device, and that's another option I'm considering –a skin.
Arwym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #313
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I dont think a Skin will protect the ereader I think its more Decoration like Clingy plastic. But you can ask others. LOL
Yes the Lookbook IS the same. As far as I can see. I no clue as to the tecky inside tho LOL
Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #314
AlienRace
AlienRace began at the beginning.

Lightbulb Literati usb issue idea

Hello good people!
(let me know if i should create a new post and not to continue this long one..)

My issue with Literati (i purchased it from craiglist without usb cable) is i cannot connect toa PC/Linux - not recognized. I know now - it is a common issue. The reason i post here - is to get information before i start my little project (disassembly) to fix it. I looked at USB port inside the reader from the outside on the angle and saw it has 1 metal pin missing out of 5 or so inside the usb connector. If you look at the usb port you should see metal pins inside plastic, going (left to right)- pin; empty; pin ;pin; pin. I would like to confirm with any literati owner who has working usb port to confirm that it is on every reader and it is not a missing pin issue but finding "magic" cable and port issue...

Thank you for any help i get!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0634.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	87146  

Last edited by AlienRace; 05-31-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Adding picture
AlienRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #315
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Mine has all 5 pins installed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote