Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Dasun
Dasun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Can Calibre Strip HTML links when exporting to epub?

A long time lurkers first post, so hi to all.

Now, I am trying to convert some (well lots!) of PDFs to epub format and I need to strip embedded HTML links. Can Calibre do this?

Thanks for any suggestions....
Dasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
So, if I understand you correctly, you want to remove any parts that contain
Code:
<a href="whatever">text</a>
while preserving the text? You could just abuse the header/footer removal for that. For the given example, something like
Code:
<a href[^>]>|</a>
ought to work. Remember to check you documents' source, though (the magic wand symbol).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Dasun
Dasun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Manichean,

Thanks for putting me on the right path....adding

<a href.*</a>

to the header/footer removal sections ripped out all the HTML links and the documents only suffered a little - table of contents is missing in action but I can live with that. As a former software engineer I am surprised I had forgotten how truly ugly regex syntax was until I started doing it again tonight!
Dasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You could just put

a[href] { display: none }

into the extra css box.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasun View Post
Manichean,

Thanks for putting me on the right path....adding

<a href.*</a>

to the header/footer removal sections ripped out all the HTML links and the documents only suffered a little - table of contents is missing in action but I can live with that. As a former software engineer I am surprised I had forgotten how truly ugly regex syntax was until I started doing it again tonight!
Well, yeah, small wonder the TOC got wiped out... be aware though that your way deletes the text that contained the hyperlink as well. My expression above should preserve that text.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast
Dipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You could just put

into the extra css box.

Lifesaver. Thanks mate.
Dipaksomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:47 AM   #7
greenpossum
greenpossum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You could just put

into the extra css box.
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I tried this and unfortunately it strips the text inside the <a> element. After some searching I found this advice solved the problem:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...57625#27057625

and the command line enhancement to the conversion command is:

--extra-css 'a.disabled { pointer-events: none; cursor: default; } a[href] { class: disabled }'

Posting so that people can do it correctly.
greenpossum is offline   Reply With Quote