Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Upgrading iPhone from iOS5 to 6.01?

I have an iPhone 4 and have thus far resisted the invitations to upgrade from iOS5 to the current 6.01, primarily due to the widely reported issues with the mapping application.

Can anyone offer any advice as to whether this is a worthwhile upgrade or not? Are the problems with the mapping app (in the UK in particular) really as bad as reported? Or should I stay with iOS5?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Can't think of any reason to upgrade personally, except if you have use for the additional dictionaries (French, German and I'm not sure what other languages).

I haven't found that the maps app was that awful, although it's far from perfect. But then I rarely use it, so my opinion is not worth much. It did send me in the wrong direction once, but I doubt that Google Maps would have done better in the same circumstances. For some reason both apps (and Google Map web app) cannot find the train station nearest my home. It's on the map but keyword search doesn't find it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
A new Google Maps app is expected before the end of the year, so you could wait until then if you're wedded to Google Maps. If you want to upgrade now, you can still use Google Maps through the browser or a shortcut. Nokia just released their maps app for iOS if you wanted to try that.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm in no particular hurry to upgrade. Good news about the Google Maps app - thanks - I'll wait for that before I upgrade.

Appreciate the advice - many thanks.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I haven't had any problems with Maps myself, but I'm in the USA. I'm running 6.01 on an iPhone 4 myself and had no problems with the upgrade. The big reason to upgrade is improved email and notification.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
It is worth it if you use Siri a lot I guess..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
It is worth it if you use Siri a lot I guess..
Is Siri a standard part of iOS6? I don't have it on my iPhone 4 (I think it came in with the 4S). From what I've read, it's not as useful in the UK as it is in the US, because it doesn't have here any of the geographical location facilities it does in the US.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
But wasn't Siri already in OS5? If you don't have it now, I don't think you will have it after upgrading.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
But wasn't Siri already in OS5? If you don't have it now, I don't think you will have it after upgrading.
Only on the 4S. It's not on the 4.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only on the 4S. It's not on the 4.
Correct, updating to iOS 6 doesn't get you Siri on the iPhone 4.

Google Search has a voice search feature though, you can put that on your iPhone 4.

Have you updated your iPad? Keeping your devices on the same iOS might be a reason to update your iPhone. There are some enhancements to sharing, mail, and the phone feature itself.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, I'm still running iOS5 on my iPad too. I've been reluctant to upgrade because I use Google maps a LOT, especially on my iPad, and reading the description of the new features in iOS6 there didn't seem to be any "killer" reason to upgrade.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm in no particular hurry to upgrade. Good news about the Google Maps app - thanks - I'll wait for that before I upgrade.

Appreciate the advice - many thanks.
Google has tuned maps.google.com to work very well on the iPhone with Safari. With that, no need to hold off on iOS 6.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Google has tuned maps.google.com to work very well on the iPhone with Safari. With that, no need to hold off on iOS 6.
Does "Streetview" work with it? That's the capability I use the most and can't afford to lose.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Does "Streetview" work with it? That's the capability I use the most and can't afford to lose.
Doesnt seem to have street view at all, Harry. Also, I would not bet on Google Maps being available as a separate app later in the year. I just have a feeling that Apple would call in the "too much like ours" thing and refuse them. I could be wrong...but...

On another note, Apple maps have been undergoing constant improvement, and include satellite maps, (and turn by turn navigation on the 4S at least). Apples and oranges perhaps but they are now a lot better than they were even a month ago.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. I think I'll wait and see what happens. I'm in no rush to do anything.