Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #46
theapatra
author of Water Witch
theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I loved them enough to immediately d/l the next one right from Kindle without even looking at price....but: i tire of waiting, and i tire of the continually lengthening list of characters to track
theapatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #47
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I am shocked at what an easy read it is. I had read the comments and thought I would need to keep notes to keep track of what was going on. I am struggling tho with just how close it is to the tv series it is like I wanted all these untold juicy bits and nope nothing. I have learnt a tiny thing more about dragons a fact I didnt know about the queen and that is about it. I am about 70% though book 1. The book is like a kids version of the tv show as in we dont get all the sex we do on tv. Well it is HBO.
I refuse not to finish a book so will finish but I am dragging my feet. It is well written just so much same old as the tv show. I never say that about books. This is a first for me.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #48
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I'm pretty much resigned to just watching the series and to hell with the rest of the books. Seems to me Martin would rather spend the lion's share of his time receiving adoration at every single convention and SFF club meeting he can find, than sit down and actually write stuff, so the TV and book series will likely be finished around the same time anyway.

Also I've got plenty other stuff to read.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #49
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Watching the first few episodes of the tv series put me off wanting to read the books.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #50
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am shocked at what an easy read it is. I had read the comments and thought I would need to keep notes to keep track of what was going on. I am struggling tho with just how close it is to the tv series it is like I wanted all these untold juicy bits and nope nothing. I have learnt a tiny thing more about dragons a fact I didnt know about the queen and that is about it. I am about 70% though book 1. The book is like a kids version of the tv show as in we dont get all the sex we do on tv. Well it is HBO.
I refuse not to finish a book so will finish but I am dragging my feet. It is well written just so much same old as the tv show. I never say that about books. This is a first for me.

applesauce
The first book/season are pretty close to each other. In season two they deviated a bit from the books, changed a lot of stuff around and left a lot of stuff out.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #51
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Disregard everyone with a negative opinion about any of the books. Then proceed to read them all in a marathon!

Seriously thought, the books are great. Specially so books 1-3, but fourth and five are still awesome, even if I can understand where some people come from.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #52
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
The first book/season are pretty close to each other. In season two they deviated a bit from the books, changed a lot of stuff around and left a lot of stuff out.

Oh thank you. I will push on then. I just saw the end of season 2 and went omg omg and wanted to rush and read book 3 to see what happens but will now do book 2 first

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #53
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
Oh thank you. I will push on then. I just saw the end of season 2 and went omg omg and wanted to rush and read book 3 to see what happens but will now do book 2 first

applesauce
Yeah, you might want to read book 2 first. The characters are in the same place at the end of book 2, for the most part, that they are at the end of season 2, but different circumstances brought them there. You might be confused by a few things, as characters have different motivations for their actions in book three than they probably will in season three.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #54
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
Disregard everyone with a negative opinion about any of the books. Then proceed to read them all in a marathon!

Seriously thought, the books are great. Specially so books 1-3, but fourth and five are still awesome, even if I can understand where some people come from.
Absolutely, 100% agreed.

Just watched Eps 6, we're delayed here in Belgium. No spoilers please! The changes from the book version are becoming very noticeable. I likes.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #55
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i kinda like that its divulging from the books a bit. while doing them verbatim would be good, it would get tedious. at least the changes keep it interesting for those who have read the books.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i kinda like that its divulging from the books a bit. while doing them verbatim would be good, it would get tedious. at least the changes keep it interesting for those who have read the books.
I think you mean "diverging", not "divulging" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #57
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you mean "diverging", not "divulging" .
lol yes. good catch.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #58
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
i heard a great word today... confluence
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #59
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Such wordy effluence, Pat.......

(Long as it don't evolve into flatulence .... )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
i heard a great word today... confluence
Not a particularly unusual word, is it? It's the point at which two (or more) rivers join.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote