Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Baen Universe Closing

Been waiting for one of the Baen regulars to post about this but haven't seen anything.

I think this is a real shame. I hope they change their minds or plans. I think the Baen efforts have been admirable and for the benefit of ebook readers and readers in general. Quite sad to hear this.

story here - http://www.locusmag.com/News/2009/08...ter-april.html and here http://baens-universe.com/articles/Universe_Closing

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-06-2009 at 10:02 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm in agreement with you on this. Sad to see them close.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Waaaah!
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Waaaah!
Yeah yeah.. me too..

Bad as the news is, I think this just means the magazine service, nothing about Baen publishing thank goodness.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Yeah yeah.. me too..

Bad as the news is, I think this just means the magazine service, nothing about Baen publishing thank goodness.
still not a good sign generally. Glad that they are being proactive about it and handling it as an orderly shutdown -- shows what I think is a continued concern for their authors and general ethical business sense.

Anyone have any insights into the financial health of Baen in general? I'm about to buy an ereader in large part because I've reached critical mass in the number of ebooks I'm buying -- and they're almost all from Baen! I'd hate to get a reader and then have my supply cut off!
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
Anyone have any insights into the financial health of Baen in general? I'm about to buy an ereader in large part because I've reached critical mass in the number of ebooks I'm buying -- and they're almost all from Baen! I'd hate to get a reader and then have my supply cut off!
I'd hardly read anything into Baen's financial health due to them shutting down this project.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Jim Baen's Universe was a separate venture from Baen Books. They were only related by persons of Eric Flint, Mike Resnick et al.
I don't think Baen Books themselves are in any trouble. They keep putting out great books every month. Actually, it seems one of the biggest gripes they have now is that S&S gives them too few monthly slots, that was probably the reason David Weber did Safehold series with Tor.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
still not a good sign generally. Glad that they are being proactive about it and handling it as an orderly shutdown -- shows what I think is a continued concern for their authors and general ethical business sense.

I think it's more a sign of the slow decline of the paid-for short fiction magazine. Lots of short fiction magazines now publish online with no direct cost to the consumer relying on advertising and donations so something like this has a hard time competing particularly with the tiny readership for this small corner of the genre.

I love short fiction and buy more magazines than I can read but I know I'm in a dwindling minority.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Sad to see it closed, I was an initial subscriber, and have the complete set. They just couldn't get enough subscribers to make it viable.

End of an era, really. Jim Baen was always trying to get a quality short fiction periodical going for 30 years. First Destinies, then Far Frontiers, then New Destinies, and finally Baen's Universe. There never was quite enough customers to keep them going. Now that Jim's gone, I don't think you'll see the likes of these again. You may not have liked the editorial slant, but the quality was always there....

Adios Universe, y vaya con Dios...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I guess short stories (fiction or not) aren't mainstream enough.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'm really sorry to hear this.

I only became aware of Universe a few months ago, when Looking for more of Eric Flints Column, and ended up subscribing immediately.

Still I'm glad that they are planning well in advance, to allow the Magzine to go out with a band instead of withered down to nothing.

I'm also happy to hear their offer of All Issues Past and Future for $30 which I definitely think is a complete steal, and will take advantage off as soon as possible.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I had never heard of this service until today but I can't find any mention anywhere if I can download the magazines in ePub format for my Sony Reader. The site has not been updated much and they still show Gem reader format but no mention of anything more modern. Anybody know if I can read the magazine on my Reader easily? I guess I can use Calibre but if I have to, which is the best format to convert?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
I had never heard of this service until today but I can't find any mention anywhere if I can download the magazines in ePub format for my Sony Reader. The site has not been updated much and they still show Gem reader format but no mention of anything more modern. Anybody know if I can read the magazine on my Reader easily? I guess I can use Calibre but if I have to, which is the best format to convert?
Volumes 3 and 4 of the magazine specifically have 'Sony' format to download which I'm guessing is lrf or epub.

The previous volumes have html, lit, mobi, pdf, rtf, rocket so should be easy enough to convert is Sony reader doesn't read any of those.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
Volumes 3 and 4 of the magazine specifically have 'Sony' format to download which I'm guessing is lrf or epub.

The previous volumes have html, lit, mobi, pdf, rtf, rocket so should be easy enough to convert is Sony reader doesn't read any of those.
Sony format is LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote