Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #31
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
9 inch looks awfully good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Robert, glad to hear that you made it back, more or less, in one piece.

I am very interested, read totally sold, on the 9 incher, and as it probably won't be available when I am in China in February, I will most probably be looking at picking one up from you guys.
Dear Mr. Dalliard:

I am excited also. It is VERY hard for me to sit around and wait for the specs and things to shake out fully. Our Product Manager is one of these ugly sap-suckers who cross all the T's and dot all the I's before letting me announce anything. Actually, he is smart as we do not want to disappoint and it takes time to work all the details out. Loose lips sink ships!! Having prototypes and getting them into the warehouse are two different things. Prices still need to be firmed up and then we start deciding if we want to offer them in colors and when we can get them and what our order would be.

Things look SO good!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #32
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
I wouldn't want an e-reader bigger than 5". It would be unmanageable one-handed and wouldn't fit in the inside pocket of my favourite coat.

When people want to see my Pocket Pro, one of the things that makes them happy is how small and light it is.
Yes, I love my 5" jetBook-Lite too. I will never change it for 6" or 9" unit even if I will get some money for this exchange .
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

The 5 inch captured more attention than all other products combined. While there is definitely a market for larger... it will not be at the expense of the 5 inch. I see the 5 inch being an incredibly viable market long-term. The ease and convenience of the 5 inch makes it the ideal travel-mate. When I was flying down and back with CES, I gave this a lot of thought. I was reading on my 5 inch and the lady next to me had a hard.cover book. I felt sorry for her as she could not fit the thing into the seat back pocket or put it anywhere else that was convenient. So would be the case for a 9-10 inch.

While I am delighted with the advent of the 9 inch... filling a definite need also... I see it very viable for newspapers, magazines and textbooks. I see the convenience of the 5 inch as just about perfect. People simply could not believe the lightness of the Pocket PRO or the amount of eBooks and music it could hold. The 5 inch became our big gun at CES! Likewise, the 6 inch captured attention for its clear display and smoothness of operation.

So, I think all will be happy! The market for eBook Readers is simply exploding! As Bob Dylan said: "Don't speak too soon, for the wheels still in spin, and there's no telling who that its naming".

I think you exactly express why so many companies are offering a variety of sizes and, specifically, a 5-inch model.

It's like buying a car or a computer - what brand do you choose, and then what model do you want....and from there the customers accessorize.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #34
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think you exactly express why so many companies are offering a variety of sizes and, specifically, a 5-inch model.

It's like buying a car or a computer - what brand do you choose, and then what model do you want....and from there the customers accessorize.

Don
Agree. BMW 3-Series cars most sellable cars produced by BMW .
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Agree. BMW 3-Series cars most sellable cars produced by BMW .
And the smart car by Mercedes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
And the smart car by Mercedes.

Dale
One of my neighbors has one. The plate reads:HALFCAR

What is not smart, is the price
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #37
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
One of my neighbors has one. The plate reads:HALFCAR

What is not smart, is the price
Well the price has come down since they are now direct imports. There was a time when a guy in St. Louis would retrofit the cars to meet smog requirements and then sell them. Those were really expensive.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Robertb, any new info on the 9 inch? I have my eye on the irex 800...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #39
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

9 inch device news??

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Robertb, any new info on the 9 inch? I have my eye on the irex 800...
Dear John and all:

Both factories ran into small glitches. There was some delay.

Nobody, I mean NOBODY, wants a 9 inch device to debut as much as I. I have been promising it forever. Clearly, Astak needs these.

Of course, during the last 7-10 days while everybody in non-Asia has been working their butts off... Asia has been off work and on holiday for Chinese New Years. During this time we have absolutely NO news and no answers!! Thank GOD it ended finally!! I am on a single one-person campaign to have Asia realize the impact 7-10 day holidays have on business!!

Anyway, my Product Manager, will converse in Mandarin tonight to gain an update. I would like to believe we are close. We will hopefully know a schedule tonight (which is their tomorrow morning) and I will post the second we have this info!!!

ALL I can say for now is the IREX is VERY expensive and these will be far less money! On the other hand... waiting is a pain in the butt!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

ALL I can say for now is the IREX is VERY expensive and these will be far less money! On the other hand... waiting is a pain in the butt!
I was looking at the Irex DR800SG which is going for $399. Your saying your 9 inch will be far less? Could you quantify far less: $50, $100, $150, $200 less. I'm a US resident.

Sounds exciting Robert!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #41
Robertb

Expecting $299-$329

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was looking at the Irex DR800SG which is going for $399. Your saying your 9 inch will be far less? Could you quantify far less: $50, $100, $150, $200 less. I'm a US resident.

Sounds exciting Robert!
Dear John:

I had not heard the IREX went down that low on price. That is excellent.

I can ONLY guess right now. I think the sweet spot would be $299-$329 but that will depend on what features it has on it. Realize this is a WAG (Wild A-- Guess). An IREX at $399 is NOT bad at all... but ours will likely include the leather case in the price. I don't know about the IREX; so cannot say.

It is ONLY exciting if and when it happens! I hate "vaporware" and I want to see a final eval hit me on the hands!!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #42
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The DR800SG includes a pouch at $399, which isn't as useful as a cover (particularly since the required Wacom pen is stored with the pouch).

Note that lBook was estimating $325-330 for the A9 (First readers with SiPix screens announced).

There are going to be lots of SiPix-based devices, but at least initially vendors like Jinke with an existing track record with ebook Readers will likely have a distinct advantage in software robustness. The touch screen and WiFi are new areas for Jinke though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote