Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
debbiew
debbiew began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Smile On Switch

was enjoying a throroughly trashy novel earlier in day, sony ebook working fine. Turned off but when came to turn it on again the slide 'on switch' was misaligned and now it just won't come on at all. Argh!
I think it had plenty of charge, but will charge as soon as I get home. The button just seems to rock and not slide properly. Anyone else had a similar problem? Any thing I can do? Typically it is 2 weeks past being a year old, so out of warranty!
debbiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You can search for the Sony 505 teardown link to open your reader to re-align the switch or spring yourself. Otherwise Sony will likely charge you the same $90 it charged me to fix mine.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
debbiew
debbiew began at the beginning.

thank you - will have a look at what that site says. if I open myself will that casue probs if I still need to send back to sony?
debbiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Beatlebacker
Beatlebacker doesn't litterBeatlebacker doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can do it yourself - it's not that difficult. As your Reader is already out of warranty it won't make any difference! First remove the dummy cards from the Reader slots and turn your Reader display side down - onto a soft cloth or similar. Remove the 2 screws from the top and carefully remove the top plate - you will probably feel some resistance to removal due to 2 locating brackets keeping it in place with double sided tape. Do not force the plate up or it might snap! Carefully work along it's length until free. Check that there is no damage to the slide mechanism and that the LED 'pick up' is thread-locked in place. Now re-insert the top plate hinge side first, keeping the slide switch in the 'parked' position - you'll need to apply firm pressure to the switch whislt laying the rest of the plate in place. Try to operate the switch - if it works replace the screws applying downward pressure to the plate. If it fails to operate correctly repeat the above until it does.
Good luck.
Beatlebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
ktakemo
ktakemo began at the beginning.

Thanks for the realign post. I followed the instructions and now my 505 works. I thought I might have to send it to Sony.
ktakemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Beatlebacker
Beatlebacker doesn't litterBeatlebacker doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
No problem

You're welcome ktakemo - glad you were able to follow the instructions.
Beatlebacker is offline   Reply With Quote