Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
bubak
Connoisseur
bubak began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Empty news feed

I've got a recipe with only one news feed which only rarely has new articles. Calibre then creates an ebook with nothing inside and emails it to me. Is it possible to prevent this? When there are no new articles, I want no ebook to be generated. Strangely enough, when I add

remove_empty_feeds = True

to the recipe, it raises the error

File "/usr/local/lib/calibre/src/calibre/web/feeds/news.py", line 880, in build_index
raise ValueError('No articles found, aborting')
ValueError: No articles found, aborting

(calibre 0.8.3). I guess this is because there are no valid feeds inside, but this looks like a bug to me - when all feeds are empty, no ebook should be generated.
bubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use remove_empty_feeds, then the book wont be created/emailed. Silently ignoring the case of all empty fields is wrong. It makes it much harder to detect when a recipe needs to be changed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
bubak
Connoisseur

I can't follow your reply, have you read my whole post? The point is that when I use remove_empty_feeds, I get an error. When I add a command to ignore something, I cannot get an error that this something is not there, can I?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are getting an error when you use remove_empty_feeds that is because there are no non empty feeds. And as I said in my previous post, that is not going to change. Silently ignoring the case of no content is wrong.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
bubak
Connoisseur

Fair enough, so can you then add a new option to accept all feeds being empty as a normal condition that will generate/email no ebook? This will not be silent because I'll explicitly tell the program to accept this.
Advert