Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Another issue for debate - publishers and ebooks

I am seeing several book publishers or subpublishers still have not gotten with the electronic book publishing trends. While a lot of this is among the smaller book publishers, thus far I have seen only two publishers - Wizards of the Coast (publishes Dungeons and Dragons and Forgotten Realms) and Golden Eagle (a subpublisher of Harlequin that sells Executioner, Super Bolan, Stony Man, Deathlands, Outlands and Rogue Angel books). Do you expect all book publishers to eventually get with the electronic publishing movement? What do you think is holding these publishers back from publishing electronic books?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Are you writing a college paper or something?

Pretty much all of these issues you've brought up have been addressed in numerous threads, by the way. You're not coming up with a batch of new issues no one here has considered.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
You're not coming up with a batch of new issues no one here has considered.
So what? There are probably many new members, such as myself, who find it interesting to interact and learn what others think on these subjects.

If you find redundant topics so offensive, yet so tempting, that you are unable to resist commenting, I would suggest that you would find much more pleasure in the never ending "Kindle, Nook, Sony, which one should I buy?" threads.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I appologize if they have I am not aware of the fact that they have been brough up before.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
So what?
I don't like writing term papers for other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e
If you find redundant topics so offensive, yet so tempting....
I don't. We're on his... 5th issue? 6th? and I haven't posted anything in the gentleman's threads yet. (Nor do I participate in the "what should I buy" threads. )

And I'm not "offended," more just pointing out that these topics have been covered. Extensively.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
So the fact that something was discussed, say... 18 months ago, means it should never be mentioned again?

New people are joining the forums here all the time - you never know when one might bring a new perspective to an old topic.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
lenseman
The Avatar
lenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
I think it's funny that you mentioned D&D because I was actually quite surprised when I found out that they had jumped on the bandwagon so early. Their game books are something different from reading a novel or even a graphic novel but I think they have been released in ebook format on their website as well. Those provide a more interactive experience and I would assume other companies similar game books would have to play it by ear with their target audience. I think something like that affect gameplay in a way, at least initially since it requires a new (though more convenient) device.
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I don't like writing term papers for other people.

I don't. We're on his... 5th issue? 6th? and I haven't posted anything in the gentleman's threads yet. (Nor do I participate in the "what should I buy" threads. )

And I'm not "offended," more just pointing out that these topics have been covered. Extensively.
You have a very valid point. Thank you for responding so politely. I'm afraid the same could not be said of my response to you. I shall have to practice a bit of self control and not post replies until I've had my morning coffee.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Dodge
Sparks fly off my pages!
Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am seeing several book publishers or subpublishers still have not gotten with the electronic book publishing trends. While a lot of this is among the smaller book publishers, thus far I have seen only two publishers - Wizards of the Coast (publishes Dungeons and Dragons and Forgotten Realms) and Golden Eagle (a subpublisher of Harlequin that sells Executioner, Super Bolan, Stony Man, Deathlands, Outlands and Rogue Angel books). Do you expect all book publishers to eventually get with the electronic publishing movement? What do you think is holding these publishers back from publishing electronic books?
Personally I think that publishers will continue to team up with companies like Amazon. The big publishers still have time and revenue to create their own Amazon type model but I have yet to see it. Time is slipping by for them.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
A few years back this was more of an concern than it is know. Many publishers had a stance that they would not be moving to ebook, or where on a wait and see.

However eBooks have caught on and the momentum is still going in the eBook. Many of the publishers that said no way are now saying where looking into it and many more who where on a wait and see have joined the eBook crowd.

The big battle however is still price, and format(DRM).

I guess on last point is your example is probably not the best WotC really isn't very good at publishing eBooks. I think they give a lot of ground to their writes and it is up to the writers to publish eBooks or not. I'm not familiar with Golden Eagle however.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Sometimes pointing things out sure feels like being castrated, doesn't it?

I expect most publishers to go with the e-publishing thing. Excepting the specialty publishers, obviously.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote