Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Bookbee
Bookbee began at the beginning.

Device: jasondavis
iPad launch in Australia

Went to my local Apple store this morning, in Brisbane, Australia, for the 8am iPad melee. Actually, it was quite ordered, with the 500 or so people queued up being let into the store in single file. The first guy in line arrived at 9pm the night before, but was kicked out of the mall when it closed for the night, so he waited in the cold and dark outside, along with a few others. Keen!

Wasn't quite prepared for the whole "cultish" Apple staffer chanting and cheering aspect of it, having never been to an Apple launch before. Don't drink the Kool-Aid, people!

Here are some pics and video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMNU...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCpt...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd3Oe...layer_embedded
Bookbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
That is keen!
I never did understand the hype, but then again I am 30+ which puts me in the old codge category for this sort of thing.
It was interesting to read the Fairfax papers hyping the iPad up. It made a lot of sense considering they are launching 4 apps for it on the same day!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. I will be lurking on eBay in a few months and pick one up for my daughter .
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
We had about 200 camped outside of Apple's store in Robina. By the end of the day they were just about sold out of the iPads.

Will wait and see how it goes.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
That queue would really piss off someone who just wanted to buy a couple of new memory sticks. Neil
Attached Images

Last edited by neilmarr; 05-30-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: to add drm stamp
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
That queue would really piss of someone who just wanted to buy a couple of new memory sticks. Neil
Buy them on the internet! No queues!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't get that queuing thing at all. I just walked into my local Apple store on Saturday morning, and bought one with no delay. It's not like they're going to run out in 24h.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't get that queuing thing at all. I just walked into my local Apple store on Saturday morning, and bought one with no delay. It's not like they're going to run out in 24h.
I agree with you Harry. I could walk in and play with display models with ease on Saturday morning. I never bought one but I easily could have. It seems like there is some sort of "karma" for geeks if they are first in line
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ah well - I have to confess that I was (three times) in the midnight queue for the release of Harry Potter books .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookbee, ipad