Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #31
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I made a purchase from fictionwise last week, and compared the prices to amazon kindle prices.

For 15 books (with fictionwise club 15% discount + 10% large volume discount)

Fictionwise $100.48
Kindle $114.25

- There was one book that was $12 more on fictionwise that I decided not to purchase after seeing the price discrepancy.
- One amazon book was actually a 2 for 1 for the same price as 1 book.
- There were about 5 books on my wish list that were available for the Kindle, but not available on fictionwise.
- The books I bought on fictionwise used 3 different DRM encoding methods.
- I also received a $54 micropay rebate for my purchase.

Based on this and past purchases:
- Kindle has more content.
- Regular book prices for Kindle tend to be lower than fictionwise.
- Only buy fictionwise if there is a sale.
- fictionwise micropay adds up
- be prepared to deal with multiple DRM at fictionwise.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #32
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
- Kindle has more content.
- Regular book prices for Kindle tend to be lower than fictionwise.
- be prepared to deal with multiple DRM at fictionwise.
I agree. Especially with:

It's easier to just do most of my buying from Amazon, but I like to take advantage of FW sales and use micropay on multiformat books I might not otherwise buy.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #33
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
On a somewhat related note, does anybody know whether Fictionwise ever analyzes the price watch data on peoples' wish lists, other than to send an automatic email when (if ) the price ever drops to that level? Seems like it would be a way to send a message about sensible pricing, if anybody there paid attention to it (another big if!). Cases where the paperback is out but the ebook lingers for weeks or months at hardcover prices spring to mind. Edited to add: Although I'm not sure Fictionwise has much influence over the publishers in this matter.

Last edited by wayrad; 12-09-2009 at 04:25 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote