Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
question about the baen free library

Ok I have no idea where to post this but I checked out the baen site and wanted to download a few of their free sci fi books.......every time I click on a book to download it comes up with some kind of an error. Has anyone used this site? what do you have to do to download the free books?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I download from Baen all the time. Go to Free Library, select 1632 and click on any of the download links. Which format did you choose and what happens?

If you have an alternative title to download, let me know what happens and I'll try it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It all seems to be working fine here. If it's still not working for you, post the URL of the page you're trying to download from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
Ok I have no idea where to post this but I checked out the baen site and wanted to download a few of their free sci fi books.......every time I click on a book to download it comes up with some kind of an error. Has anyone used this site? what do you have to do to download the free books?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
I just downloaded a few books off baen with no trouble, maybe it has to do with your internet settings?
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

ok I clicked on the link that wallcraft posted and then chose 1632 and clicked on download and tried both zipped and unzipped files in the sonyf ormat and I got the message that IE can't download the file and that the requested site is either not found or not available. I tried several other books and made sure i was registered and logged in and still nothing. Guess I will try it in firefox and see if that makes a difference
Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
ok I clicked on the link that wallcraft posted and then chose 1632 and clicked on download and tried both zipped and unzipped files in the sonyf ormat and I got the message that IE can't download the file and that the requested site is either not found or not available. I tried several other books and made sure i was registered and logged in and still nothing. Guess I will try it in firefox and see if that makes a difference
Ithink you have a temp buffer full somewhere in IE.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Sounds like something is wrong with your installation of IE, or perhaps your Internet needs to be reset.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
artemisblossom
Groupie

yes I guess you must be correct I was able to download it in firefox no problem. These free ebooks are complete books aren't they? I read something on the site that said something about getting a few chapters every month?? I think that must have been for new books wasn't it?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Baen's free ebooks are complete books. They also have a few free chapters of most or all of their not-free books, and a subscription package (of sorts) where you can get chapters of new books as they're being written, and the complete final version when it's all done.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
artemisblossom
Groupie

Thanks so much for the help. I was able to successfully download several books. I am ordering my ebook reader tomorrow and I just can't wait!!!!!! I really love this forum........and to think I didn't even know ebook readers existed 3 months ago LOL
Old 05-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Baen's complete output from the end of 1999 to present is available at http://www.webscription.net/. Individual books are $4 to $6, and there are also monthly bundles for $10 or $15.

For the books they're producing /now/, you can buy access before the books have reached the bookstores. For example, they have five books scheduled for release in July 2009.

http://www.webscription.net/p-997-w2...scription.aspx

(the sixth book - 1634: The Bavarian Crisis - is a bonus to make the total up to six, which is currently the minimum number in an ebook monthly bundle)

You can buy all five for $15 /now/, but you won't have full access yet. At the moment, the first three quarters of each book is available for on-line reading. Sometime between 15 and 20 June the full versions will become available for download, about a fortnight before the books become available in bookshops. RRP for the five books in paper is $54.

August's an even better bundle. seven ebooks for $15, where the paper RRP is $85!

The webscription name is unfortunate. There's no subscription fee, only one-off payments. The only thing that's vaguely subscription-like is the way new books become available. The first half gets released about 10 weeks before publication, the third quarter 6 weeks before publication, and the full ebook becomes available about 2 weeks before the books are published in paper and are in the bookshops.

Quote:
I read something on the site that said something about getting a few chapters every month?? I think that must have been for new books wasn't it?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
There are also many more free Baen books available from the Baen CDs, which you can download online copies of from:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

There are 111 different books from the Baen Free Library, and 183 from the Baen CDs. There are some Baen Free Library books that aren't on the CDs, so all totaled there are some 200+ science fiction and fantasy freebies out there from Baen alone.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
There are 111 different books from the Baen Free Library, and 183 from the Baen CDs. There are some Baen Free Library books that aren't on the CDs, so all totaled there are some 200+ science fiction and fantasy freebies out there from Baen alone.
218, if my Baen folder is as complete as it should be. And since one of those is the three-volume omnibus of David Weber's Dahak series, it's actually 220 books.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote