Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Odd that you are having problems signing up for the forum over at literatureandlatte.com. It worked for me when I signed up some months back. It might be a temporary glitch in their system. I'd try again and see if it would allow you in this time. I use firefox as my browser and didn't have trouble.
Could've just been a string of impossible capchas? I heard of one once that included a German ß and an umlaut, and another that was all Chinese characters.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
No, they weren't impossible - some were quite easy. I think there's something going on with my firewall that won't allow some things like that to go through.

On another note, I got my cover! it's beyond my expectations... but is giving me grief now with Scrivener. Without the cover, it compiles just fine. With the cover, I get kindlegen errors - but it doesn't tell me what the error is. Can someone walk me through attaching the cover? (it may be that the cover is too large; the final version was sent to me in the print format of 400 dpi - I've asked the artist to send me a new copy with 72dpi, which is what I think Amazon needs for the kindle.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
As far as importing a manuscript you started in Word; Pick the New Project type that fits your book best, probably just "novel." Copy/paste each chapter into a different Text page.

As far as the compile feature, you need to have KindleGen installed on your 'puter (for .mobi files) and it needs to be linked in Scrivener. Keep in mind, I'm a Mac version user. There are numerous webpages out there that discuss this. Google it. I think there are some videos on Youtube.

Once you've got your book in Scrivner, play around with Compile and see what the settings give you. You're not going to modify your manuscript.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turns out I don't need mobi files anyway. Amazon doesn't accept mobi files, but will take epub files and then they convert them. strange, but ok, I guess.

It also turns out that there are some things you just can't do in Scrivener for Windows, so part of my workflow involves compiling to epub and then using sigil to edit the epub.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you run that epub through Amazon's KindlePreviewer it turns it into a .mobi file. Unless something's changed recently they do accept .mobi files since that's the way I did my first two.

And relax on this. I've found formatting to be a bigger challenge than writing. These days I've got it figured out but on my first book I had more than one migraine while trying to turn it into a eBook!

TL
Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
BeccaPrice
Wizard

hm. On this page it lists formats that Amazon accepts and doesn't list mobi, which I admit seems strange.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
Lazer
Groupie

I assume, but don't know, that they have just left out the obvious.

I think Scrivener is a great writing tool. Once you spend a little time with it I think you will too. I find it handy to have a file in the binder for each character.

TL
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
BeccaPrice
Wizard

well, when I upload tomorrow (ghu willing and the final edits come in), I'll submit the mobi and see whether they take it.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just last week up loaded an updated mobi to them. I have only uploaded mobi's for the past couple years. So IMO they must accept them.

Their DOC->MOBI creation stinks, IMO, so I am glad they accept mobi. I build the EPUB and MOBI in Scrivener. Scrivener uses Amazon's tool to create the mobi and it produces a much nicer file then their online tool.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Scrivener is for MAC not PC but they do not clearly advertise the fact. Nothing malicious or underhand, its just one guy in his garden shed creating it all.
Do not bother downloading the PC version because it lacks too many features to actually work.
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #26
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I've been able to force an end result that I like, using Scrivener to create an epub, and then editing that with Sigil. after I get an epub that validates, I can use kindlegen to convert to mobi if I need to. It's extra work, but Scrivener for PC does create such easy epubs that it's worth it to me. I do find, however, that I do my writing in Word, and then import that to Scrivener.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Farman View Post
Scrivener is for MAC not PC but they do not clearly advertise the fact. Nothing malicious or underhand, its just one guy in his garden shed creating it all.
Do not bother downloading the PC version because it lacks too many features to actually work.

I completely disagree with your assessment.

I feel, even though the PC version lags somewhat behind the Mac version, that the PC version is a fine product and does everything I need it to do in order for me to be productive. The Mac version is, at this point, a more mature product but that's because the Mac version was introduced a few years before the PC version.

As well, if anyone cares to go to their website

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

you will find that there is a clear distinction made between the two versions, PC and Mac. I feel that this distinction is clearly advertised on their homepage.

These are my opinions, and anyone is certainly free to disagree with those opinions.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-16-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Adding my complete agreement with Dr. Drib. While I do not actively use Scrivener myself (mainly because my project was a long way in before I found it), I have trialed it under Windows 7 and was very impressed. It is certainly up to real work. The Windows version is under very active development and is improving all the time (I've been keeping an eye on it with a view to my next project).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote